610

Share your idea

GilbertC says:
1 July 2017

Are manufacturers disguising price rise with their products by reducing the product ‘strength’ as well rather than just reducing the size!

I just bought a large tub (1.65kg) of Vanish Stain Removal Powder for £5 from Poundland thinking I have saved some money by buying in bulk. But on closer inspection – the label doesn’t actually have the Oxi-Action on it. On checking the manufacturer website I note they now sell Vanish Gold Oxi-Action, Platinum Oxi-Action and plain Oxi-Action. It’s one thing if the product range expand by adding more powerful versions, but it’s trying to trick people to buying a lower strength version (in this case no Oxi-Action) of what a brand is normally known for!
tomsauris says:
1 July 2017

Hybrid cars – hidden problems.

I have been running an Auris hybrid for four years, and except for the extravagant claims on MPG, I have recently encountered a serious problem,which I had not heard about before.
I parked outside an A&E department with an injured disabled wife. I left my Hazard lights on while I took my wife into the hospital.
I became involved in registration, triage, and treatment for a head wound. As usual the wait in A&E took hours, and when my wife was discharged I returned to my car and expected (and deserved) a parking fine. I thought I was lucky until I tried to open the doors to load the wheelchair. I thought maybe the key had failed, so entered the car using the metal key.
My car was completely DEAD. I called the RAC who were very effective – the fault was a FLAT BATTERY which the RAC identified as a common fault with hybrid cars !
The separate battery located in the boot is quite small, but essential to start the car – if flat, the car CANNOT BE STARTED !

Apparently this small battery (probably for weight reasons) only operates the car electrics ( lights, radio, etc) including the electric feed “start-up” button ! Therefore the car cannot be started !

This fault should be more widely known.

Ray Proudfoot says:
3 July 2017

Should Which? investigate 4K Ultra HD sales pitch?

4K Ultra HD DVDs are now available in the UK with a claimed resolution of 4K or 3840 x 2160 pixels. These cost up to £30 compared to less than £10 for Blu-ray. The packaging states “4K Ultra HD” and “4x sharper picture than HD”.

However, many films in that format do not have a 4K master or Digital Intermediate (4K DI) as it is known. Instead the master is quite often only a 2K DI – that’s only 2048 x 1080. The studio upscales the 2K to 4K through an unknown process. Examples include Mad Max: Fury Road and Life of Pi. Sicario does have a 4K DI and sells for the same price.

In my opinion this is mis-selling UHD. They are artificially increasing the resolution from a master that is hardly any more detailed than a Blu-ray DVD – 1920 x 1080.

The prices being asked are outrageous but the fans of this technology will defend it saying any new technology such as this attracts a premium price for a while. To cite an example you can buy Despicable Me on Blu-ray for just £4 but the UHD version is £25.

I feel for the studios to claim a 2K DI can be used to produce a 4K end product is tantamount to devious behaviour and should be investigated. Some UHDs are mastered from a 4K DI and those can justifiably claim to be true UHD. But not those sourced from a 2K DI.

Is this something Which? should investigate?

miss M Bird says:
3 July 2017

Heavy Duty Light bulbs

Just wondering if anyone else has bought light bulbs then realised in small print on the box it says not for domestic use? Both myself and my daughter have had bulbs causing all the sockets to go off while using bulbs which appear for normal use. I have pointed out to one shop asking if they sold normal bulbs for domestic use, she directed me to the same “heavy duty” bulbs. I pointed out, “not for domestic use ” which she replied they were fine maybe get a lower wattage.
7 July 2017

Hello – Old fashioned light bulbs have been phased out because they waste a lot of energy. The ‘heavy duty’ or ‘rough service’ bulbs can still be sold but they are even more inefficient. LED or CFL lamps cost a bit more but use much less energy (around a fifth) of what the old bulbs used. If you have dimmers, go for dimmable LEDs and replace the dimmers with ones designed for LED lighting.

Graham says:
5 July 2017

Incorrect Product Dimensions: Washing Machines

My replacement washing machine must be less than 61cm deep overall. No bother I thought, as there are many described as 55cm deep. However, visit any store with a tape measure and you will discover that most machines are 5-10cm deeper. The controls, doors and front and rear bulges are not included in the stated depth. Buy on-line or without checking this and it may have to go back with all the hassle and costs involved. Why does this industry mis-describe the product depth?
K DREWERY says:
8 July 2017

electric pressure cookers How good are they Do they measure up to manufacturers claim,s thinking of buying 1 for my niece who is a single mum and skint most of the time

joryan says:
12 July 2017

Should BT be required to explicitly state that they are raising rates?

I received the following email from BT:

Hello,
We’re writing to let you know that from 22 August we’re simplifying our Friends & Family International pricing tariff. This will make it easier for you to see how much it will cost when calling abroad. We’re also introducing new pence-per-minute rates too. But don’t worry your monthly costs for your plan won’t change. This will remain at only £1.65 for discounted calls to international landlines and mobiles.

In fact, the calling rates to all countries in the plan, bar one, are increasing by between 50% and 100%.

Should they have to state this?

David K says:
17 July 2017

Reduce Online Fraud

It seems to me that famous brands could help reduce online fraud by having one single domain name that all their sites and pages are subsidiary to, thus making fraudulent imitations more recognizable. e.g. (if I may) this page would be which.co.uk/conversation/your-ideas, NOT conversation.which.co.uk/your-ideas .
Leah Charpentier says:
18 July 2017

TNT’s appalling customer service made obvious by cyber attack

It’s a bit much when you pay for a gift to be delivered to the UK for your brother’s birthday and it’s :
1. Over one month late,
2. Sent back to Italy, without anyone contacting you,
3. Not even sent back to the right address in Italy.
When you call to sort this out, and try to get back, not only the delivery service you paid for, but also your merchandise back, TNT wishes you luck sorting it out, saying it’s not their problem!
TNT has no internal processes in place to deal with customer complaints, which is shameful!
Manuela L. says:
21 July 2017

Many people now live in flats with difficult to clean sliding or opening out windows, sash windows, etc. It would be really helpful if Which could test/ recommend how to clean the outer side.

martin chubb says:
22 July 2017

DVSA Does Not Protect The Consumer

Many common to type vehicle faults seriously affect safety. Problems such as catching fire and entering ‘safe limp’ mode whilst in fast traffic cause a serious hazard. DVSA needs to act for drivers.
22 July 2017

How can I take out the odour from a goose down pillow? Is my front loader washing machine large enough?

I have a pillow that has stains such as saliva and sweat, and it also smells of man hair. the pillow has a label to indicate it can be washed at 60 deg C but I’m not sure my machine is large enough.
Martine Holden says:
26 July 2017

Are telematics boxes fitted to cars fit for purpose?

Having had a Hastings Direct Smart Box fitted to my 21 year old daughters car was a mistake. She had to be home before 10pm, and was unable to leave our steep road without reducing her score to <40.
26 July 2017

suing the banks

Hi I have a question regarding trying to sue the banks for the recession. I entered into an agreement to buy a two bed apartment in Italy before the financial meltdown. Upon completion of the complex
Vic Webb says:
27 July 2017

Make it compulsory for repairs to be entered on a car service log

Many cars have been repaired to a greater or lesser extent. Would you want to buy a car that has had extensive post-accident repairs at the full market price. This is a problem because around 100,000
tamiflew says:
28 July 2017

The current dietary guidelines.

The current dietary guidelines are based on a report chaired by
George McGovern in the US in the 1970’s. The medical advice from the doctors on that committee said there was a lack of evidence.
David Stone says:
30 July 2017

Lost Baggage and Customer Service

Airline carriers do absolutely nothing if baggage is lost. They give web and phone numbers which are unobtainable. Fail to inform the customer. We lost 1 day having to phone and replace items.