593

Share your idea

1 March 2017

New car tax ruling means some cars will pay a lot less car tax

Should I cancel my old car tax and renew when the new tax bands come into force in April? Previously I was paying £230 per annum, now it will be £140 per annum.
1 March 2017

Hi Andrew, thank you for your suggestion. We actually covered the new car tax changes on Which? Conversation here – https://conversation.which.co.uk/motoring/hybrid-car-tax-vehicle-excise-duty-ved-rules/ – there’s further information on car tax changes here too http://www.which.co.uk/news/2016/03/one-year-left-to-buy-a-hybrid-free-of-car-tax-437790/

Francis Hitching says:
1 March 2017

addictionto alcohol

I would like to let you know how I dealt with the problem
2 March 2017

What to do if in the Council owned car park the unsecure barrier damaged your car?

When I’d exit the car park the unsecured car park barrier hit my car roof.I’d sent an email to the council insurance department but they ignored me.They didn’t fix the barrier either.Could you give me any advice where to complain and who will pay for the repairs?I have pictures with the incident and with the unsecured barrier also.
framk says:
2 March 2017

Scottish Power have just put up their price bye 10.8%
should my pay -in tariff go up by 10.8%?

Joel says:
3 March 2017

Electric mopeds/scooters

All the talk is about electric cars but quietly (very!) in the background the number of electric bikes, mopeds, scooters and motorbikes is growing rapidly. The sector is boosted by no road tax, government grants for purchases, minimal running costs and no ‘range anxiety’. However no one is reviewing the new mopeds/scooters, which often come from unknown small manufacturers, so this is a real chance for Which? to help consumers.
Tony French says:
8 March 2017

”Hermes” is an untrustworthy courier

I don’t name and shame a company lightly. Repeatedly this company has failed to deliver goods. Their drivers have lied – “the customer was out” – they “couldn’t find the address” – it was “out for delivery” (for 3 days in seccession and never did arrive) – a parcel was delivered to the wrong house the other side of our rural valley… and as a freelance journalist I have failed to get a response from their press office, and as a personal customer been led from phone… to e-mail… and no response. Other couriers provide an efficient service to our rural address. – DPD is excellent with tracked one-hour slots, City Link, UPS… and the Royal Mail are all very good indeed – or excellent. I cannot see how any online merchant can dream of using Hermes – our experience cannot be that atypical. Is it something to do with the structure of their payments to drivers… I did here that a miniscule sum is paid per delivery, so some drivers just don’t bother with packets to out-of-their way addresses.
Pietro35 says:
8 March 2017

Although I have followed Motoring Which for years (and followed the advice), I have not seen any comment on the handbooks you get. What do people think? Have just studied Honda CRV and Mitsu Outlander (both best buys) books, and one is good and the other awful. In English, they say but some is just funny and some very cryptic. And the illegible pictures…, and the layout, with many widows and orphans. And many repetitions. Am I being over fussy, or does nobody read them anyway? At least for the software bits, it is not all self-evident.

Roger Kendrick says:
8 March 2017

Hearing Aids

With the population getting older, with its associated problems, please could you consider a feature on hearing aids?

I’ve recently bought one and had to do a lot of research to understand what was being offered by the various companies as well as the features of the aids.

In my opinion the hearing assessments offered by the big chains (Spec Savers & Boots) were cursory and just a front for a big sales pitch. For example I have hearing loss in just one ear but Spec Savers will only sell you a pair, saying that “it was good to have a spare”!.

malcvolm says:
9 March 2017

Energy Performance Certificates, good, bad or ugly?

Energy Performance Certificates, EPCs, are essential when selling / buying a house. I found them really useful when searching for a property as they give you the habitable floor area to enable comparisons both on the relative house prices and energy efficiency. Very few agents give floor areas, unlike European agents. (whats better value – a 3 bed semi with 100 sq m of floor or a 4 bed detached with 90 sq m? but if you are not given the area you will be given a list of (some) room sizes, are you expected to use these to work out the floor area yourself?) But what happens if you find an error? I have been hoping to purchase a house and accepted the EPC as a correct and legal document.

When EPCs were first introduced (an EU requirement) there were training courses available to enable people to become accredited assessors, with promises of £200 per assessment. Now there seems to be a race to the bottom in terms of price and I suspect, quality and accuracy of this important document.

The EPC for the property I was interested in gave the following information.

A. 4 stars (out of 5) for the heating system – gas boiler with radiators. I later found that the boiler was 21 years and that it’s, 65% efficient, off bottom of the EU, A to G, efficiency scale.

B. 4 stars for insulation in the loft room (assumed). There was none. You could walk into loft storage area, floorboarded, and see no insulation.

C. 1 star for hot water provided by electric immersion heater. But there is a gas boiler which I am told heats the hot water.

D. Secondary heating – described as none. But there is a fitted electrical heater in a feature fireplace. This would gain a single star.

There are many technical descriptions which involve assumptions, and guesses on the age of the structure to which they are applied. The age of the structure is needed so you can assume that the insulation in the building is at the level required by Building Regulations at the time of construction,

To enable accurate, unbiased assessments, software is used to calculate the results and prepare the reports – but garbage in, gives garbage out no matter how pretty the standardised reports appear.

Estate agents must issue these documents to prospective purchasers. Fines can be levied if this is not done. However I can find no evidence of sanctions that might be implied if the document is negligently incorrect.

Is there legal liability on anyone for losses incurred for conveyencing, property survey etc in such a situation? A whole purchasing chain could collapse over one document.

Frank Finn says:
9 March 2017

Marketing companies disguised as builder

As a heating engineer I often came across customers that have got lofts or extensions done by large building firms with many adverts in glossy magazines.
There basically companies that send out salespeople or surveyors as they call them to a customers house and price for a loft conversion or extension.
They then take the first 20% and pass the job on to one of their building teams.
These companies are great when everything goes well but awful when things go wrong as most of the time the customer things they have the backup of using a big company only to find that they have actually just signed into a contract agreement with one of the smaller self employed crews.
Also they seem to have a way of bypassing the council building control by employing private building control firms who as they aren’t payed a lot don’t come out to check a house nearly as much as the council do, also when something is in a bit of a grey area they then to let it slide as they get so much work from them.
I think something should be done that makes it harder for companies to get away with this type of practice, but as I found out when i went to help a few customers that had this happen to them it was nearly impossible.
10 March 2017

A professional course in oil and gas after engineering

After completing btech , students who wish to work in the oil and gas industry with particular focus on offshore operations such as exploration, drilling and production should look for a good professional short term course for oil and gas field.Just a degree will only give you knowledge it will not make you employable ,A professional short term course in oil and gas from a reputed institute under the guidance of a skilled and experienced faculty you can surely become employable and competent.
Ann Watts says:
10 March 2017

Flea and tick treatment for dogs and cats: What treatment do you use and why?

Brenda Romans says:
15 March 2017

Carvan insurance, when is a flood not a flood?

I’ve been looking at a caravan insurance policy that says it includes flood cover in the summary pages. In the detailed information they specifically exclude damage caused by a rise in the water table. To me that means flood so I asked about it. It appears that if the water comes from above (e.g. a wave washes over your van if you park it by the sea) you’re covered. If a river rises and causes damage, you are not covered. Surely flood means inundation, regardless if it comes from above or below.
Chris thompson says:
16 March 2017

Help interest only mortgage customers stay in their homes.

People with no equity in their property can’t stay in there homes. Most of these people have fallen on hard times but manage to keep up their payments, hoping they can change their mortgage when it comes to an end. No no no is the answer from the greedy bankers making people homeless and nowhere to turn. No equity no home. Surely there should be a campaign to help these millions of people in this country keep their home??? What about the single mother or father trying to keep a roof over their children’s heads etc.
BP-London says:
19 March 2017

Alpharooms.com booking ‘pay at hotel’, turns into a Booking.com and payment up front!

I recently made a booking with Alpharooms.com for an apartment in Spain, secured by a debit card, on the basis that the full amount would be ‘pay at hotel’ (as stated on their website). Turns out in my confirmation that Alpharooms.com had booked through a third party site Booking.com, who passed on my credit card details to the Spanish hotel who charged a 30% deposit resulting in bank charges for an EU transaction. Whilst not happy at all that this could happen, in an effort to mitigate further bank charges, I asked Booking.com to change my debit card to my Halifax Clarity card (no EU charges), but they/or the hotel failed to use this new card and I have now been charged the balance incurring a further £7.14 in bank charges. It’s a very unsatisfactory situation with neither wanting to take any responsibility….. In fact Alpharooms.com, replied with this email to my complaint and even they still have it wrong….:

From: support@alpharooms.com
Sent: 17 March 2017 07:41
Subject: alpharooms.com customer support request #942821

Thank you for writing to us.

I understand your concern regarding the Pre-payment for the booking you have made. Please be advised that usually the payment of 30% will be taken from your account and then 40% will be charged 7 before days of travel. The last remaining balance of 30% can be made directly at the hotel.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you require any further assistance.

Kind regards
Arun
Alpharooms.com

21 March 2017

Companies charging for paper bills

I have been with Utility Warehouse for 14+ years. They are going to charge £1.50 for paper bills from 1st May 2017. Of course one can opt out but I do like to have paper bills as I do paper bank statements which I keep for some time for reference. Just recently I had cause to check my utility bills going back months, I can’t imagine how difficult this would have been on-line. Computers break down sometimes and what about people who don’t use them anyway. All my paper is recycled and I do plenty of other things to “save the planet”. I can’t believe they are “allowed” to charge for billing me. If this is the future it’s going to be expensive. I would be interested to hear other opinions.
21 March 2017

Companies charging for paper bills

I should have said that Utility Warehouse bill monthly so the £1.50 is a monthly charge.
JanetD says:
21 March 2017

Maturing online accounts – vanishing records

More and more banking and other savings are now wholly online. Yet when an account matures, it is not only inaccessible to further transactions (fair enough), but it vanishes completely from my accounts page, so I can’t view the history. Why is this common practice? I would like to see the final interest paid. The bank should “show its workings”. All I see is the final transferred balance and none of what contributed to that number. It seems we now have access to less information than when we had a passbook. What is the harm in still being able to see the events on a closed account? Are others happy with this?
jaynesco says:
23 March 2017

Help

I have a insurance policy for my freezer accidental damage. I have had 5 visits to mend it and it is now unusable! I have lost food as well which no one says they are liable! It is only 6 mths old but the makers did not cover this! Luckily I had an insurance as well! Where do I stand? I have asked for a replacement but the insurers are saying no at mo
24 March 2017

Hi jaynesco,

You might find this page useful, particularly the Faulty Goods tool.

Thanks

25 March 2017

Airlines

Cost of Madrid flight for Leicester City fan went up by £165 from booking to paying
Read more at http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/cost-of-flight-to-madrid-went-up-by-pound-165-from-booking-to-paying/story-30224440-detail/story.html#S45KTjUQMhVquUpU.99
But its not just football fans is it?
Now this is an injustice to the working man
28 March 2017

Homeserve pledge to replace boiler that is beyong economical repair!

How can they offer this service then charge an extortionate amount to install a boiler and offer a boiler that is much cheaper and very different from your own! You have no recourse and only one franchise to “Choose” from or else accept a cheque for 200 pounds for a new boiler!
Alex says:
29 March 2017

Big companies fail to honour their commitment to their customers

I have made appointments with two big companies recently, i.e. British Gas and Virgin Media. Both companies gave me a time slot when to expect them. I accepted this and sat at home waiting; Virgin Media turned up after the time slot and phoned me just before this time ran out to say that they are running late (this happened on two consecutive appointments). British Gas phoned me one hour before the time ran out to say they would not be able to honour the appointment and would I like to make another appointment. Virgin Media said that they would pay compensation for failing to attend the scheduled appointment – I’m still waiting for that; unfortunately I can’t change service providers at the moment because of the contract – basically they’ve got me by the short and curlies as they say. With British Gas I have now cancelled my Home Serve agreement. Why would I pay over £250 per year for a service that is well below average!!! It seems based on my recent experience i.e. in the last month, that big companies do not keep to their agreed appointment times. Is this because they over-extend the engineers who, with the best will in the world. are unable to keep the promises made by the call centres?