630

Share your idea

Ash2016 says:
1 October 2016

We need the choice to block Reverse Billing.

A phone bill should be just that, nothing more.
Please like this post if you want to have more control of your phone bill.
Mobile bill can now include costs for subscriptions to web sites and receiving messages. This is fine if that’s what you want and can enjoy those services.
However what if you want to provide a phone for your kids or a relative or someone you care for.
The Network Operators, such as Three say it is the account holders responsibility to supervise the use of the phone and that their contracts are only for adults.
Responsibility is fine but only if you have the tools to manage that responsibility.
The current situation places an unfair risk on carers who provide a phone. Reverse Billing charges can be activated by general browsing as well as apps. It is also possible for the charges to arise without any involvement by the user.
We need to be able to control the costs on our phones. If you would like to help let the Networks know we need this please like this post.
If you have time it would be useful to hear your thoughts and experience.
Rob North says:
3 October 2016

Products that are not what they seem to be…..

Here’s a starter: would you pay more for “margarine” than you would for butter?
Well, many people do when they buy “Lurpack Spreadable”. This very expensive product doesn’t claim to be anything in particular but people assume by the name that it’s some kind of Spreadable butter, which it isn’t. My brother used it and when I pointed this out he thought I was nuts – “of course it’s butter – it’s Lurpack! This from a normally very clever bloke…….
alfa says:
4 October 2016

National Poetry Day On Which?

National Poetry Day is on 6th October. Can we have an annual poetry day on Which? with a different current theme each year? e.g.
As it’s National Poetry Day,
Come On Which? and have your say,
This years its scams,
So don’t be lambs,
To help combat crime,
We want your tales in rhyme,
The subject is serious,
But it won’t weary us,
They could be jokes,
Or even a hoax,
So put fingers on keyboard,
You won’t get ignored,
Here on National Poetry Day.
Checkmark of approval

This idea was chosen on Thu October 2016

6 October 2016

Thank you for your suggestion @alfa, we thought it was a great idea and so commissioned community member @carneades to be our guest poet for the first ever poetry convo on Which? Conversation: https://conversation.which.co.uk/travel-leisure/poem-national-poetry-day/

bugrit says:
5 October 2016

Defence spending on French steel for British submarines.

I heard on the news this morning that the government is “BUYING French steel” to build British submarines. This is after they let TATA to try and shut all of our steel plants. They would sooner pay foreign companies than pay the BRITISH PEOPLE. Which to my mind is TOTALLY STUPID.
5 October 2016

Poor nursing in private hospitals

I had a posterior colporrhaphy operation for retrocoele ( herniated r****m ) at a local private hospital at my own expense because I had rapidly deteriorated , the NHS op was too close to my holiday & I was paying for the consultant to operate on me , rather than a more junior member of the surgical team . Howver I was neglected by the nursing staff ; I asked for an anti-nausea pill which was not provided , even after I sicked up my dinner . My catheter bag was dripping on the floor after 2 nurses failed to check it . I was discharged by the surgeon at noon after the op . I had paid for what I thought was a 2-night package but was obliged to leave at 7pm 28 hours after my op . It was not made clear that ‘Estimated 2 day stay’ mean if the consultant discharged me I had to leave that day or pay another £600 . I have since heard this is not uncommon for that hospital .
7 October 2016

Having worked in Financial Services for over 90% of my career, I would like to raise an awareness go the different lending products that are on the market to 16 and 17 year olds before they are tempted into taking Quick Fix Solutions which rolls over to the following and subsequent loans.

Having spent many years, working mostly with delinquent and defaulted accounts. I became aware that many people used these companies, which do have place in the market, not only for people on low income and/ or previous arrears. It was often what they seen their parents doing and they naturally used the facilities.
With the help or possibly The Money Advice Service or Citizens Advice, I would like to show people how that these quick fixes rarely work, unless you are due your annual bonus etc. If they were £150 short for whatever reason 2 weeks before the end of the month, they are now starting next month with a greater deficit, the £150 they borrow plus interest. Therefore the person is going to have to use the facility again, but earlier in the mont, making the subsequents months payments ever higher.
That was the part of my role i enjoyed, explaining to people how to manage your money and get through the month in the black.
Finally, I feel that some children get things too easy and don’t appreciate the value of things. If they want something now they get it, so when they have access to their bill money and housekeeping money they will struggle with the surrounding temptations and this spiral will go on and on.
CSTonnar says:
8 October 2016

When is a pickle not a pickle?

It used to be that pickling was a method of prolonging the life of a food product. Nowadays, once open, the jar/container must be refrigerated, so when you fancy a pickle, olive, gherkin etc they are usually extremely cold and tasteless so have to be put out in advance to reach a satisfactory temperature. Seems to be more water than the pickling material….or is it only me?
Em says:
8 October 2016

False and misleading advertising claims driven by misuse of location data and other personal data

Is anyone else becoming increasingly concerned about the use of personal data being captured by Google and others to drive the creation of false and misleading adverts? A recent example I’ve reported to Google and the ASA is: “[my village location] Police Urge Residents To Carry This With Them At All Times”. “This” turns out to be a ShadowHawk flashlight.

There are few well-hidden disclaimers in the advertorial, once you click through, but the principle remains that using personal information in this way to create a “relevant” advertisement is almost bound to be false, if not downright dishonest. Similar ads have appeared claiming that local residents have made £000’s or lost pounds by following a weight loss programme. Both patently untrue!

Time for a ban on this style of targeted advertising, before it gets totally out of hand?

Beryl says:
10 October 2016

I think I am probably amongst the 1 – 2 % of people who have experienced side effects such as ‘low grade fever and aches’, commensurate 4 days after receiving the flu jab. I have been quite poorly over the past few days with these symptoms and I would be interested to learn of others experiencing similar bad side effects and especially in the elderly. Could the Convo .team look into this very topical subject at the moment? The vaccine is dead so I would like to know what causes these very unpleasant and debilitating side effects.

yarrum says:
12 October 2016

EE & Pay as you Gp

I recently moved from EE due to a technical problem which they could not solve. I still had about £15 in credit in my PAYG. The EE advisor says I cant be refunded and I must use the credit. How can I use it the phone would not work and I have now moved provider. Surely EE cant hold on to this money ?? It is not the amount it is the principle. Any thoughts. Ian
RonPlatt says:
15 October 2016

Termination of inactive mobile phone numbers

Currently I have a mobile phone number, with a credit balance, that has been terminated by giffgaff. giffgaff does not allow (for) transfer of that credit balance to another giffgaff and is, misappropriating, the funds linked to the, now, terminated mobile phone number!
15 October 2016

Alternatives to UPVC replacement windows.

While there is no doubt that UPVC replacement double glazed windows are energy efficient once installed, I resent the ubiquity of white UPVC everywhere.
The plastic frames consume large amounts of energy to be made, and are non-recyclable.
I am told that well made wood units can be just as cost effective over time, and now can be easy to maintain using high quality paints and stains.
Has anyone information on highly efficient, low maintenance wood framed replacement units?
David Forrest says:
15 October 2016

Removing the charge for telephone line rental

I think the telephone line rental should be scrapped because everyone has mobile phones these days and whilst many of us have broadband, I think line rental is a waste of money. It’s just keeping people in jobs
Ray says:
16 October 2016

Transfer of Brussels flights to Lille

After the terrorist attacks on Brussels International Airport, which closed it for over a month, easyJet started using Lille as their alternative to Brussels and offered to refund anyone the cost of getting from Brussels to Lille as a result. I was initially told that I could get an immediate refund of train tickets from Brussels to Lille at the easyJet desk in Lille Airport but nobody there knew anything about that so we were told to apply for compensation online, which I did. I filed 4 claims, over a period of weeks, and found each very difficult to process. In each case, at the end of the process, the website gave an error message saying the receipt files couldn’t be uploaded and that I had to start again and do it by email, which I did. I got an immediate, automated, response, with a reference number, but with no cross-reference to the flight concerned, so I had to rely on my own note keeping to know which claim was for which flight. I was told that I would be paid by cheque, which seemed odd, as they obviously had my credit card details, and lots more, as an easyJet Plus member, from the original bookings. Weeks passed and I heard nothing so I chased easyJet on two of the claims, as a test. I received an email, apologising for the delay on each and then, weeks later, a rejection of one of the claims, with no explanation as to why it had been rejected. I responded, asking for more details, and was told that the claim would be re-submitted. In the 4 months since I made the claims I have had a single cheque for about half the value of one of the 4 claims and nothing else, with no justification for the €19 payment.

It seems to me that easyJet are using every trick in the book to minimise their payments for these claims, firstly by making it very difficult for the claims to be submitted and tracked, by failing to process them properly and rejecting them for no reason and by paying with cheques, which can get lost. I have an Internet bank account with no ‘local’ branch so cashing the cheque was a hassle, although I was determined to lodge it to my account before it expired.

This is underhand behaviour by easyJet, which flies in the face of their public pronouncements on how simple it would be to be repaid the cost of the inconvenience of using Lille instead of Brussels for these flights.

16 October 2016

Which? testing philosophy

I note Which? do not appear to have tested worktops – by searching the archive. Given that most houses in the UK will have one or be buying a new one I wondered why Which? has never done them.

The Australian Choice has done some sterling work so perhaps that could form the basis of the Which? research. One defect in their report was that they did not discuss the upkeep regimes.

With new research there are superior finishes and impregnation available for the permeable stone and wood surfaces. Granite tops can be penetrated by fats and by water for instance.

17 October 2016

Hello Patrick, thanks for sharing this idea for testing. I’ll pass this onto the relevant team.

16 October 2016

There is a need to clarify “completion” definition for new housing

See RAAG web site http://raag-online.org.uk/ for England – & recent Rip-Off Britain report.
In Scotland the “adoption” of new roads, street lighting & drains is NOT picked up in Home report or by many solicitors – leaving over 20,000* new home purchasers losing out. (*based on FoI responses – awaiting Edinburgh) and false “house completion” stats. Councils are failing to use bonds, legal agreements or applied planning conditions. Some actively manage RCC (Road Construction consent) – many council’s don’t (it helps to reduce costs!). Developers walk away – saving a few bob. Leaving the poor purchaser to pick up the bills years later. There are a number of “volume house builders” whose names regularly crop up.
ACTION:
(1) Require all solicitors handling purchases to legally check if local road/ lights/ drains have been adopted (INFO= NO SURPRISES=PREVENT PROBLEM).
(2) Get such a check added to Home Report checklist (INFO= NO SURPRISES=PREVENT PROBLEM)..
(3) Ensure House Completion Stats corrected to identify “completed but not adopted” houses (in annual stats). (=PRESSURE ON GOV)
(4) ensure housebuilders “10 year guarantee”covers adoption issues (=PREVENT PROBLEM by HOUSEBUILDERS)
(5) For respective governments to create “zero or low interest adoption fund” to assist householders in estates NOT adopted to pay for adoption works up-front (repaid over period of up to 25 years) (TO DEAL WITH EXISTING PROBLEMS).
17 October 2016

EXTENT OF WHICH? TESTING – TIME TO DISCUSS

I have qualms about W?.s testing in that it seems to miss areas completely and not consider build quality – durability and replacement parts. There have been Best Buys were reading the comments of purchasers there has been considerable unhappiness with the Best Buy being awarded.

I have been asked to do a survey on what Which? should look for when testing small appliances. Durability/parts are noticeable by being completely absent form the options offered.

It does make me wonder if staff read the reviews comments and how perhaps Which? could interact with te subscribers who left the scathing criticisms on so called Best Buys.

17 October 2016

We need a Convo to discuss the suggestions posted in the Ideas section

Ideas are often posted here because there is no relevant Convo in which to post them. Without discussion and development, some very worthwhile Ideas just drop off the bottom of the list and are forgotten.
17 October 2016

Hello Wavechange, thanks for this suggestion. We do keep a record of all ideas posted in this ideas section and this leads to content generation from the Which? Convo team, so these ideas don’t disappear. Unfortunately, it’s not possible to publish every single idea proposed here. So to counter this, what we do try and do is commission convos from the most popular ideas, as well as weave other ideas into other relevant convos to ensure that these ideas are ‘voiced’ on convo.

Mirelly says:
20 October 2016

Guest beds

I’ve had 2 airbeds that didn’t hold air
Now I’m looking at folding guestbeds but online reviews give little confidence
What do I do?
22 October 2016

Sky TV formal complaints procedure

Sky TV appear to have no formal complaints procedure. Despite contacting them by phone and online chat, all I get is “we will give feedback to the department concerned”. An email address supplied simply directed me to their web page.
fusspot says:
24 October 2016

Technology: original ipad

Apple are no longer sending the latest iOS update for the original iPad. Does this mean that eventually my iPad will be so out of date that it will be redundant? Surely tech companies should support their products for a longer period as not doing so me and replacing older models with the latest one.
David Baxter says:
26 October 2016

The “booking fees” charged by theatre ticket agencies.

We were recently given gift tokens for theatre tickets, which required us to redeem them via a company called Encore Tickets. We wanted 4 tickets to a West End show and the company quoted us the face value – £65 – plus a “booking fee” of £19 per ticket – a total charge of £76 for tickets with a face value of £260, or 35%. We declined this offer and were subsequently able to buy the tickets from the theatre’s own website for £55 each, saving altogether nearly £100. Of course we now fear being asked for exorbitant “fees” the next time we want to use the vouchers. Are the West End theatres aware of this scam, as I consider it? Are people who buy such gift vouchers aware of it?
Keith Dunnett says:
27 October 2016

Ticket reselling sites

Why haven’t you pursued the case for banning, on the grounds that they are legally dubious, Viagogo etc? If ever there was a scam this surely takes some beating? Outrageous and exploitation of the consumer come to mind. But apparently they are above the law?
29 October 2016

Phase out of halogen bulbs

Old fashioned bulbs have been phased out in favour of CFL and LED lamps, which saves a considerable amount of energy. There are no direct replacements for the small halogen capsules and these will remain available.

Some of the concerns about energy saving lamps have been debated on Which? Convo but it would be a good time to launch a new Conversation.

ann shuttleworth says:
29 October 2016

my problem is too high interest rates……not with the co-op, but my credit card with mbna.

Ivor Martindale says:
30 October 2016

The over inflated charge insurance companies make for an adjustment or cancellation of a policy

Many insurance companies will charge from £40 to £80 (or more) to make an adjustment or cancellation to a policy. This is what they call an ‘administration’ charge and can seriously increase the policy charge particularly when it’s compulsory insurance like motor insurance. I except that there needs to be a small charge to make any change but in my opinion these charges can be excessive – where a flat fee would suffice.