593

Share your idea

Martin says:
2 August 2016

Decent ad blockers?

Anyone use an ad blocker (on a PC)? Got any recommendations

I know site use adverts as a source of revenue, but there are some (in particular my local newspaper site) where there are so many pages take forever to load

Whilst there are lots available, I don’t want to end up with one that causes more problems than it cures

(and hint, how about Which doing a feature)

Peter says:
2 August 2016

Beware Tesco MultiBuys

Just discovered an issue with Tesco’s multibuys! Found at the end of adding items to basket that a multibuy was removed. Made me go to multibuy section and start adding items and found discounts removed. Anyone else had this problem?
Terence Bryan says:
4 August 2016

Personal experience has lead me to ask questions about the behaviour of dental practices, both in their behaviour towards people who wish to remain as National Health patients and in their questionable, inconsistent and sometimes dishonest practices commercially. These issues are at the heart of our concerns over the future of our National Health Service.

David Nuttall says:
9 August 2016

Easyjet compensation cheques that are sent to overseas based customers are completely useless. They are required to be paid into a UK bank account in the name on the cheque. I have 4 colleagues in our Danish office who have cheques but have no way of cashing them. This is not a fair way for Easyjet to attempt to avoid paying compensation, they should be made to refund to the credit card when they decided it was fine to take the money for the flight in the first place from overseas based passengers.

Cranstoun says:
10 August 2016

what is a contractual Parking Charge Notice is this legal. I thought it had to read Parking Fine. I have been told this is a scam. Help!

Kate Gartner says:
14 August 2016

paying for luggage on flights

I have booked a holiday with thompson fly and intended to take my cabin case which i frequently use for easyjet and ryan air, rather than pay for hold luggage. thompson tell me my cabin luggage can only weigh up to 5kg therefore forcing me to pay and extra £40 for hold luggage. thompson either include hold luggage in your price and increase it accordingly or do what other budget airlines do re cabin luggage. also i had to call thompson for this information it was not obvious on their site.
STEVEN STEWART says:
14 August 2016

CREATE OUR OWN BANKS WITH OUR OWN RULES. EXPECT NO INTEREST OR BE CHARGED INTEREST OR OTHER RIDICULOUS FEES.

OR ALLOW INTEREST TO BE USED ONLY FOR SMALL INVESTORS TO START OR EXPAND THEIR BUSINESSES AT EASIER TO REPAY RATES WITH NO PLUG PULLING POLICIES ACCOMPANIED WITH THREATS OF CLOSURE ETC.
IF ENOUGH OF US PULL OUR SAVINGS AND INVESTMENTS OUT OF THE ORTHODOX GREEDY BANKS, THEY’LL MAYBE GET THE MESSAGE. BUT THEN AGAIN THEY PROBABLY COULDN’T GIVE A TOSS WHILE THEY HAVE HUGE CORPORATIONS AND GOVERNMENTS S CLIENTS.
COULD IT BE POSSIBLE?
Narries says:
15 August 2016

Opening Saving Accounts

This may not be a big problem for many but I keep being rejected when trying to open a savings account ( usually fixed term savers). I had no end of hassle with an NS&I account and they demanded that I send them a solicitor certified copy to confirm my identity. Now I am having trouble with Tesco’s Fixed Saver, where I want to transfer a fixed saver from Halifax to them. The “problem” seems to be Experian who they check for ID. Experian have no credit/debt history because I have no debts. I am on the electoral role and have lived in my house 20 years and been with my bank for 40 years. Its not as if I am asking for a loan. I am trying to loan them money. Whats the issue here?
17 August 2016

Why are toilet wipes described on their packaging as flushable when water companies say they are not?

I recently received a letter to say that Severn Trent Water have had to unblock drains in my area and identifying toilet wipes as one of three culprits that created the blockage. It also adds that, despite what it says on the packet, these are not flushable.
If that is the case, why does the packaging state that they can be flushed e.g. on the back of the pack of Sainsbury’s Dispersible Toilet Wipes, it states ‘Breaks up when flushed’.
The letter, informing me that STW had had to unblock drains, goes on to say that we are all going to have to pay the STW’s cost for doing so. I think that this is an injustice as we all have acted on good faith and flushed used wipes, as advised by the pack.
Shouldn’t the Advertising Standards Authority have tested this claim and, if so, would the product not have had to have passed the ASA’s tests for Sainsbury’s to have been able to make this claim for their product?
P.S. Moist toilet tissues are also described as flushable but I don’t know that these are being referred to, in the letter that I have been sent, as the term used is toilet wipe.
Checkmark of approval

This idea was chosen on Mon October 2016

3 October 2016

Hello James, thanks for sharing your idea for a Convo with us. We covered the problems with ‘flushable’ non-flushable products here: https://conversation.which.co.uk/home-energy/flushables-water-companies-drain-blockages/

Chris Webber says:
18 August 2016

All “smart” energy meters should have to speak the same language

Last year Ovo Energy fitted smart meters so that I no longer needed to supply manual readings. This year I switched to First Utility to get a cheaper tariff. After a couple of months I was asked for monthly manual readings, First Utility told me that my meters were incompatible with their system and that I could either submit manual readings or pay for new meters to be installed. Neither the Regulator nor the Ombudsman were interested in my complaint, my MP told me that the government might do something sometime. The present situation is a good incentive to stay with your present supplier regardless of cost.
18 August 2016

Do you think the Government proposals about Nuisance Calls will work significantly?

As I understand it the proposal is to be able to fine senior people in UK firms which make unsolicited calls. However, I got 24 calls in the past 7 days,in spite of being registered on the Telephone Preference service. 8 of these were “International”, 1 a fictional 00.. number(almost certainly also not UK) and 8 Withheld or Unavailable. So only just under a third were easily reportable/traceable and just over a third from outside UK jurisdiction. This is from my phone’s list of “missed calls” – I have caller display so don’t answer them.
Liz Halsall says:
19 August 2016

whilst I am happy to pay for plastic bags in the supermarket if I forget my own, I think retailers have gone too far in extending this to ALL shopping.
In Europe most stores give paper carriers for goods other than food, others give plastic. The blanket ban does not seem to apply.
British stores seem to see it as a moneymaking feature and don’t even stock small bags (BOOTS) any longer. I object to buying a dress, and having it pushed over the counter…all idea of service seems to have gone along with the bags!!
Online shopping becomes even more attractive! Surely shops should be trying to encourage people in, by making the shopping experience a pleasant one, not drive them away by penny pinching and disguising it as a virtue! There is no good reason for retailers not providing bags…American supermarkets have provided strong brown paper bags for years!!

31 August 2016

False Advertising

I recently purchased from Morrisons their own brand Southern Fried Chicken Wings. When I came to cook these I found that they where in fact chicken wings and drumsticks. I think this is false advertising as drumsticks are a cheaper cut of meat.
Ricky Cranefield says:
31 August 2016

Regarding nuciance phone calls

Can I suggest people invest in a nuisance blocker phone. We have had not one nuciance call. Worth buying as a effective way to stop calls
Chris says:
31 August 2016

Publish the phone numbers of the supervisors,managers and directors of nuisance phone companies

We the public could then phone them when ever we could spare the time evenings nights and very early mornings .To see if they need help with anything