/ Money, Travel & Leisure

Who’s confused by the Olympic ticket reselling process? Me!

Got unwanted Olympic tickets? Want to have another go at buying some? Well the official Olympic ticket resale programme launched today. The question is; do you know how the process works? Our survey says ‘no’.

It’s 2012. The year of the London Olympic Games. Are you excited?

I’m not, as I don’t have any tickets (despite living a couple of tube stops from the Olympic village). Anyway, there’s good reason to put my bitterness aside – I may have a chance to buy someone else’s rejected tickets.

Confusion over Olympic reselling

If you were awarded a whole bunch of tickets for events you weren’t hugely interested in, or you’ve now decided to escape the country, you can resell them from today.

How? Through the official Olympic website, and only through this site. Ebay, or any other method of reselling, is strictly off-limits – otherwise say hello to a maximum fine of £20,000.

The official reselling programme will be open on the Olympic website until 3 February, so the race is on. But do you know how the whole process will work?

Worryingly, our survey of 1,250 Brits found that most don’t. Only 16% of those asked understood (fully or mostly) how the Olympic ticket resale will work. And of those who said they were likely to buy or sell tickets in this round, an understanding of the process was higher, but it was still a pretty lowly 34%.

Olympic site isn’t very clear

From a cursory read of the resale information page on the Olympic site, I’m not surprised people are scratching their heads over how it works. On a simple level it will go something like this: you’ll tick the tickets you want to put up for sale from your online account, and wait for someone to buy them. Simple, right?

Not quite. I’ve already picked out a contradiction on this page. When you put your tickets up for resale the site makes it clear that this ‘does not guarantee that any or all of the tickets you submit for resale will be resold’. However, it then goes on to state that ‘once you have submitted your selection of tickets for resale, your tickets will become void’.

If I’m reading this right, as soon as you put your tickets up for resale those tickets will then be void. That’s even before the tickets have been successfully re-bought, which as was said before, isn’t guaranteed.

The word ‘void’ certainly sounds final, so what happens to that unsold ticket? Apparently it will be ‘un-voided’, but the wording on the site certainly doesn’t make this clear.

So, I have two questions for you – are you going to try to buy or sell Olympic tickets? And if you are, have you got the foggiest about how the reselling process works? We’ll be busy testing the site tomorrow, selling and buying, so we’ll let you know how we get on.

Comments
Martin says:
6 January 2012

The process seems simple and was well explained on the website. The functionality of the site is very good too. The problem is that on this Friday (January 6th) morning there are either more buyers than sellers or there is availability showing for items that “disappear” by the time you try to checkout. “No tickets found”. I am giving up and going back to sleep. But the process is clear, anyone who was interested and read up on it will have been 100% clear on that, the survey will have picked up those who didn’t bother.

Catherine says:
6 January 2012

I have tried to list some tickets for resale for the past half hour – I keep getting an error code saying “polling error” there is a problem processing your request. No response from customer services either.
Hopeless!

Liz T says:
6 January 2012

I have been trying to sell 3 olympic football tickets this morning. System kept failing and telling me to try again. The I got a process error. Now tickets have diappeared from my account but I have not received any confirmation that they are now up for sale. Site says I should get confirmation. They seem to be in cyberspace somewhere! Cannot contact customer services.
The whole ticketing process has been a shambles! I was really looking forward to being part of the Olympic experience. Applied for tickets to 4 events – only got 1 of them. As we live in Scotland it is too expensive to go to London during the Olympics just for 1 event so we have decided to watch on tv. Hope we do get our money back but who knows.

Rachel says:
6 January 2012

I have had the same experience – said there was an error about 5 times, once with an error code. Now my tickets have disappeared but no confirmation email, and when I search for athletics tickets on the date my tickets were for, there are none available for resale!!

Sally says:
6 January 2012

Useless process. Tickets saying they are available, put them in my trolley and checkout and told unavailable. I love the whole ethos of the olympics and always have – unfortunately the admin side of 2012 has completely spoilt the experience!

fred says:
6 January 2012

Uesless. Absolutely useless. Tickets show as available – select them and checkout – tickets not available. When I search again, the tickets still comeup as available.

The whole ticketing system has been a farce from start to finish – if this reflects how the Olympics will be run, we will be the laughing stock of the world….

Mark says:
6 January 2012

I agree with Sally and fred, I have tried many different events that are showing as available but the moment you “Proceed to Checkout” you get “No tickets found”.

How hard can this be ……..

Greg says:
6 January 2012

Ive had exactly the same experience. You can’t buy any of the tickets or they’re not taking down ones that have been bought. You put the tickets in your checkout then it tells you they don’t exist!!!!!!!! If they can’t run a ticket website properly what chance do they have for the Olympics themselves?

Simon says:
6 January 2012

Like many others below, I have just wasted an hour trying to buy tickets that are allegedly available but not available when you actually try to buy them. Tried about forty ‘available’ sessions across multiple sports: nil success.

Dave says:
6 January 2012

are we doing something wrong? I’ve been trying the checkout tickets for ages. None available.. surely someone tested this system?….

fred says:
6 January 2012

even now tickets are still showing as available when they are NOT!!!!!!

Greg says:
6 January 2012

I’m sure it’s a case of the tickets being sold but why then not take them off?!?

fred says:
6 January 2012

so WHICH have you tested the site as mentioned in the article? if so how did you get on?

Jane says:
6 January 2012

Tried to buy tickets this morning. Followed the whole process through to check-out, waited, then was told “Tickets unavailable”. I’ve tried 3 times so far. They were clearly marked as avaiable when I selected them so am totally confused.

Rachel says:
6 January 2012

If my experience is anything to go by, trying to submit tickets for resale is a shambles, so I’m not surprised there are no tickets there to buy…and I’m not surprised that it says that there are!!

Blackheath says:
6 January 2012

Seems you have to guess how many tickets for sale at each price before you can buy
Gradually reduced from 5 to 1 for an available event and even then still got no match.
Given up. Maybe they can sought it out by this evening.

fred says:
6 January 2012

Greg, I’m sure you are right but why oh why not just remove the tickets as being available once they are bought. I’ve tried for over an hour now and the same tickets are still showing as available when the patently are not. given the £billions spent on this olympics surely they could have thought of doing this?

Carole says:
6 January 2012

Like most people I am fed up with trying to buy tickets that obvioulsy don’t exist anymore. The sales I believe are being run by Ticketmaster, surely they should have a robust enough system! I applied for over £2000 worth of tickets in the first round without success and am sick of hearing about all the corporate tickets, the general public don’t stand a chance.

fred says:
6 January 2012

if Ticketmaster are involved count me out…

so basically we don’t know if the tickets that are showing for sale are really on sale and if they are how many we can get. anyone remember the good old days when a ticket was a ticket?

Denny says:
6 January 2012

I am having the same problem when trying to buy tickets -showing as Not Available. I can’t believe that this fairly simple process is not working, especially after the shambles when the leftover tickets were put for sale last year.