/ Technology

Manufacturers abandon support for tech products too quickly

Smart TV

Why should we have to constantly upgrade our technology products just to keep up-to-date? Our latest investigation finds manufacturers failing to maintain the services they were originally marketed to support.

My dad recently bought a new iPad Air to replace his first-generation iPad. He didn’t buy it for the upgraded design and functionality, but rather because the Sky Go streaming app no longer worked on his iPad 1, and he wanted to watch the cricket.

A Sky Go upgrade this spring meant that devices running iOS 5, including my dad’s iPad, were no longer supported. His tablet was only four years old and still in working order, but now it looks like a dusty relic of yesteryear.

Big brands, little commitment

We’ve been inundated with stories like this. People tell us about computers being left stranded without tech support; smartphones forgotten in software updates; and favourite smart TV apps disappearing into thin air.

As far as smart TV’s go, we’ve found manufacturers abandoning support for a host of apps, including BBC iPlayer and Netflix. In some cases manufacturers refuse to guarantee the availability of apps on their smart TVs, acknowledging that they may be removed without notice.

And in response to my Conversation ‘Smart TVs aren’t as smart as you think’, Keith Boothroyd shared his experience of buying a Hitachi smart TV from Argos so that he could use BBC iPlayer. However, he was dismayed when the catch-up TV app disappeared and the TV’s web browser proved useless.

Keith complained to Argos, and managed to secure a full refund on the TV as he could prove that it’s lack of key features meant it was not ‘as described, fit for purpose or of a satisfactory quality’ as outlined under the Sale of Goods Act.

We love our products, but some manufacturers would rather we bought shiny new versions just to keep getting the latest features and services. They’ve got commitment issues, and it’s time for a change.

What do the manufacturers say?

We contacted some of the biggest manufacturers and asked them to commit to ensuring that apps, services and software features that are used to sell a product will remain available for a reasonable product lifecycle. We had mixed responses. Panasonic told us:

‘We are fully supportive of Which?’s position. We are committed to providing our customers with a first-rate experience and work hard with our suppliers to maintain a good service.’

But Samsung told us:

‘Samsung is unable to guarantee the availability of any application on any specific television model. Content providers may remove applications from the Samsung smart TV platform without notice.’

Make your voice heard

You have every right to a reasonable lifespan for the products you buy, and this should extend to support for the services these products are marketed with in the place. A new Consumer Rights Bill, currently being debated in Parliament, will strengthen the consumers’ hand bringing law into the 21st century and making your rights clearer on digital content.

In the meantime, we want to hear your stories and experiences so that we can build a groundswell of support to challenge the manufacturers to do the right thing by all their customers.

Comments

I don’t really believe in constantly upgrading our technology products as, to me, it feels like wasting money.

I currently have 3 “phones” but while this does sound like too many I don’t use them as phones.
I have a HTC wildfire that is around 3 years old. I was given this from a friend once he upgraded to a new HTC. I use this to tether to my laptop for internet.

I have a iphone 3G that is from 2008, I was using this as my main mobile up until just a few weeks ago. It wont run 99% of the apps (like Twitter / Facebook etc), but I could live without that. I had a sim only contract in it which was £5 per month. I now use this as an ipod when i walk my dog & listen to my music.

But just a few weeks ago I was given a iPhone 4S from my boss as he wanted me to market research apps that I could not get on my iPhone due to it being too old. Yes I do love it, but i could not spend big money on getting a up-to date iPhone.

Away from the mobile world I have a laptop that was £300, I buy a new laptop every 2-3 years & never buy the “new” ones that are around £900 as all I need it for is Firefox, VLC, Thunderbird etc, so a £300 laptop fits me well.

But I do have a confession to make. I did buy a PS4 when they first came out. But didn’t really like any of the games, I have so much love for the 90’s games like Crash Bandicoot & in the end sent the PS4 back for a refund and started to use the PS1 and PS2 again. I get so much more enjoyment from my PS1/PS2 than i ever did with the PS4.

JulesLt says:
24 May 2014

My daughter had our old iPhone 3G and it still seems to be supported for a lot of games – perhaps because the developers have noted younger kids are being given hand-me-downs, rather than the latest and greatest?

FWW – I have a £900 laptop that’s 7 years old and still going strong – i.e. still compatible with the latest OS and applications, still in one piece, everything works, and has a second hand value of about £400 – which is more than you can say about my work one (cheap plastic, coming apart at the edges, both trackpad and keyboard have been replaced). Which is fine, because we write down our work machines over 3 years, so we don’t look for long-term reliability.

Both approaches work, and I suspect the difference in long term cost is minimal, but I don’t have any regrets spending more upfront.

(Of course that depends on you having £900 to spend upfront. This was pre-children!)

I should of said while i do change my laptop every 2-3 years & buy a new one at around £300, this is a treat for me. I do a silly amount of money-saving and i think I deserve to treat myself every few years with a new laptop.

El Kapitan Des Locos says:
20 September 2014

Intelligent consumer. I keep a dedicated gaming PC – old! Windows 98! Why? Because it’ll run games that even with my rather advanced technical knowledge, I can’t get to run on more modern OSs. That, and like you say, with the state of the gaming industry, like the film industry, being far more creative in the late 1990s and thereabouts, it is FAR more enjoyable than playing the latest CoD on PS3 where they make you play some stupid RTS element, when you don’t want to learn YET ANOTHER game-control system, you just want to play some CoD.

Is it me, or does the huge marketing power of Big Capital end up rewarding BAD DESIGN far more than the latter naturally would? How can those claiming Capitalism as the purest ideology, based around concepts such as ‘it produces excellence through competition in the free market’ etc. still believe that, when in fact,
Capitalism as we tolerate it today produces utter PAP, and pushes it like bad-quality drugs from a bad-quality drug-dealer.
Many solid parallels between the two industries, think about it…

@El, Have you looked at getting something like VMplayer to run on a new PC, in theory you can have any old windows OS running in it , assuming you have a licence to for that OS of course

Tony says:
23 May 2014

I would like to bring to your attention Sony’s appalling customer service with regard their new smart tv’s. They advertise that they can run Netflix but the KDL-55W905A and also the 46W905A do not and Sony are well aware of this through their own forums http://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-not-working/ for more information. They are just not interested in helping the consumer once the product has been sold. The talk the talk but do not walk the walk. They argue that they do not have to honour the sale of goods act as an App is a third party product that is on their tv’s but do not guarantee its’ use. Then why advertise the tv with all these functions?
The trouble is, the retailer from where the tv is purchased requires proof that this is a fault with the tv before replacing or refunding. Logistically, returning a 55″ tv to a store is a nightmare. The other side of the coin is that the tv as a tv is great and is it worth the going through all the hassle to get a different tv where Netflix app works but the picture quality is not as good.
Sony and Netflix are being campaigned against by users but it is not working. How do you take on such a large corporation like Sony?

JulesLt says:
24 May 2014

You could always get an AppleTV, or any similar device that supports Netflix.

(Personally I find the Netflix app on the AppleTV to be easier to use than the one built into the TV anyway).

I know that’s not quite the point, but it’s a solution. This is all backing up my natural suspicion of Smart TVs anyway – set-top boxes may be a clutter but they’re cheaper and easier to replace.

Andrew says:
30 May 2014

My daughter connects her laptop to the TV with a VGA cable, and to the sound system with a headphone jack to dual phono plugs cable. This allow watching Netflix etc with good picture and sound quality. And… no fuss about apps that might or might not run on the TV. (I did try running BBC iPlayer, both on the TV and on a netjem pvr box but no luck. So the PC driving the Telly seems like a sensible choice to me.)

El Kapitan Des Locos says:
20 September 2014

That uses about 100w of power, versus a good LED TV’s 50W of power (including the smart component). Possibly even more, and that’s not including the sound system. I got my smart TV in order to save electricity and have my laptop free for actual work and stuff. I guess the Smart TV manufacturers must have shares in EDF or something… :-/

Colin Smith says:
23 May 2014

Having purchased a Garmin Quest Sat/Nav 2005 I found that after 2008 map updates would no longer be available for that model as the mapping format was different to that used in the newer models 4 Years old and in addition they would not be able to carry out any repairs on that model. This sat/nav had many features that are sadly absent from newer models such as a button to make it repeat the last instruction very useful if one is listening to the radio or perhaps even the wife the same button would also tell you the next instruction so you could plan your approach to a junction this feature does not appear on any other sat/nav I have owned. This Sat/Nav came with maps & S/Ware on DVDs to install on ones computer but the installation relied on connecting to Garmin’s computers for unlocking (No longer available) and as the Garmin Quest was very short of memory the computer was required to change the maps installed for continental journeys. So when my oldie worldie XP lap top kicks the bucket I lose my Sat/Nav as well.
As the aforementioned Sat/Nav’’s life was in jeopardy I purchased second hand a later Garmin Nuvi in addition to the purchase price this eventually required a map update so a lifetime subscription was purchased as well as a safety camera annual update now the lifetime subscription is purely until Garmin decide to write it off as being old hat, this has come sooner than even I could imagine due to the change in the French laws concerning camera locations Garmin decided to tell us where the danger zones were in France on renewing my Camera updates the year it transpires that the new danger zones are not compatible with my Garmin Nuvi, I have kicked up over not being warned of this problem prior to purchase and I’m at present awaiting a refund on the Camera update. With all these problem and having spent close on £750 pounds on Sat/Navs and accessories I wonder what the situation is like for those who have purchased cars with built in Sat/Navs

Andrew says:
30 May 2014

You are not alone! I keep going with my trusty Via Michelin sat nav with out of date maps etc.

What are “Danger Zones”? Are you referring to the fact that you have to have the camera warning sites notification switched off while in most of Europe?

I thought this facility could be switched off.

Colin Smith says:
3 June 2014

Danger Zones are where the French site their safety cameras as we are not allowed to be told where the cameras are sited due to a change in French law I’m unaware of any other countries doing this. Garmin & http://www.cyclops-uk.com/ now give us the accident black spots formerly known as camera sites which are referred to as Danger Zones on the Sat Nav display thus circumventing the need to switch the warnings off last year my Sat Nav worked perfectly this year they have changed something in the updates that is not compatible with my Sat Nav or to put it bluntly they wish me to spend even more money on a newer model.

Jon Griffiths says:
23 May 2014

Having just bought a 55 inch Sony kdl905a tv I have been surprised to find that there are issues with the tv and the netflix app that was advertised for the tv. Im even more surprised by the lack of help and responses to this issur being reported through customer services, the sony twitter feed and various forums one of which is the sony community forum. The issue seems to affect layer builds of this and many other Sony tvs. Some people have an older working Sony tv and a meet version (The same models however) not working. Yet Sony keep asking the same questions and blaming netflix and the isp. This is not what I expected from the sony brand. Hopefully we will get an answer after getting what hifi involved. Next stop watchdog or could someone at which ask the question.

The biggest gripe I have currently is Microsoft’s decision to stop support for Windows XP. It was working very well and I do not want to “upgrade” or to try to transfer my applications to Windows 7 (yes, I have tried Windows 7on my newer laptop and find it irritating because much of the changed layout seems pointless).
I appreciate that it does cost the company to provide support and the original purchase price cannot cover the cost for ever, but why not introduce continued support for a small annual fee?
Microsoft should make clear the anticipated year for the end of free support at the time of purchase because that is an essential paret of the purchase decision.

The End of Life (EOL) for XP was known years ago. I knew about it as far back as 2008.

All software products have an EOL just google it.

JulesLt says:
24 May 2014

Corporate licences have already been paying for extended support for XP and the British and Netherlands governments have both paid for an additional 12 months.

The problem with operating system upgrades is that the majority of the important work is the under the hood stuff, particularly around supporting changing hardware – but consumers tend to focus on the visual features, hence the frequent unnecessary changes to make the latest version visually different from the last one.

(These ‘for the sake of it’ changes get bundled up with genuine design improvements. Windows 7 isn’t all bad – instant search means that you rarely have to use menus to find an application or file – I largely work by typing the name of what I want to open now).

The problem with XP is that there are some quite fundamental issues that can’t be changed without causing the same compatibility issues that dogged the transition to Vista/Windows 7. Some of those design changes are why we now have laptops with 12 hour battery life.

And end-of-support does not mean the product suddenly stops working. Our business still has one system running on an OS from a company that disappeared 20 years ago.

Doesn’t stop you using the product!

Old devices can have a much longer life if owners are prepared to look in the open source/modding community. Aging phones can be made faster and more flexible with newer open source mods of Android such as Cyanogenmod, and older laptops can be refreshed with lightweight Linux distributions.

The big corporate developers are naturally less committed to the life of the hardware, because their incentive is to sell big updates and new hardware in order to maximise profits, rather than continually optimise and adapt software to work across devices with varied capabilities.

A move towards upcycling older hardware onto open source firmware and software would be hugely better for the environment, would encourage innovation and would challenge big software companies to improve their practices.

Have another go, Moaner. I found it but, since I am not interested in having a Smart TV, I deleted the e-mail so unfortunately I cannot let you know you the path to the item.

LOL!!!!! I thought you guy’s were being really rude until I noticed the guy’s name is ‘Moaner’ Doa’h!!!

Haydn White says:
23 May 2014

I echo the sentiments of the abandoned windows XP community and like many I have an older laptop that wont stand the trip to windows 7 but apart from that works just fine. So the solution for me was to dump microsoft and load Linux; the actual loading was a breeze, the internet was up and running when it finished loading and my wifi printer was installed 5 min later. Yes it was a bit of a learning curve fine tuning Linux to my preferences but with the aid of the online help forums (which are excellent) everything is now running smoothly and very much to my liking and I can recommend this course of action to all those who are left still wondering what to do.
Which just leaves the warning to microsoft, I CAN GET BY VERY NICELY WITHOUT YOU AND P.S. I WONT BE BACK.

John says:
23 May 2014

I have a Toshiba 32BV801B HD freeview TV.
When the additional HD freeview channels were launched in January, the TV would not pick them up. IToshiba had the TV for repair but did not solve the issue and I was resigned to not receiving these additional channels on this TV.
However in April Toshiba sent a USB stick with updated software which rectified the problem.

Iam delighted with their resonse and can only praise them for their support.

There is a lot of talk about what the various electronic items will and won’t do. In my view the manufacturers get away with far too much. I know we live in a consumer society of ‘must have’. However, we are totally profligate. We are supposed to be concerned for the environment and green issues. Should these companies not be held to account? Each year companies produce new modles which tweak the previous model. Countless items are discarded when there is still life in them. I am anti government interference but I seriously think we should look at the issues of wanton waste and how we can deal with this.

I discovered recently that my upgraded Napster app would only work on my Android phone (Samsung) if I was on version 4.x.x of the operating system. (My phone was still on version 3.x.x)
So, I spent an afternoon upgrading the phone’s operating system.
How annoying, given I pay £10 a month for the right to use Napster and the Napster app is tied into my Sonos system.
Talking of which, I’d already had to buy a new phone because Sonos’ app did not work on my old HTC phone, and the Android operating system on that could not be upgraded!!
How annoying, given the price of Sonos components!
Oh, yes, do I support your campaign!!

Sam says:
28 May 2014

I too have fallen foul of the the recent Sonos 5.0 update. I had been using my 3rd generation ipod touch as a controller. This worked perfectly satisfactorily with the previous controller software. With the update I am no longer able to use the ipod as a controller – and the old software is no longer available. Sonos say that this is because Apple no longer provide software updates for iOS 4 and 5. The latter is the OS that the ipod touch 3 runs. This is a very poor excuse for a significant deterioration in service and if I did not have another device on which to use the controller software I would be forced to buy new hardware.

George says:
24 May 2014

I purchased a Panasonic DT-30 3d ‘smart’ set when it was new in the shops. Support seemed to have been dropped within a year or less.

The apps are outdated and hardly ever updated ( with the exception of the BBC iPlayer ), there are no other apps for catch up TV and no browser. Ive contacted Panasonic ‘support’ and they could not be less interested.

Last year I purchased a Panasonic Blu-Ray player in an attempt to get the more modern, updated apps. Yes it has Netflix and some others that the TV does not, Yes it has a Browser, but the browser is almost useless its nothing like a surfing experience on a PC which they claimed on their own website. And Ive found Microsoft test sites that lock the complete system up requiring an off-on at the mains to get control of the box back. Again this was reported to Panasonic and again they were useless. And the updated YouTube app is worse and slower than the older TVs YouTube app.

Now in other terms I’m happy with the set and the blu-ray player, picture quality etc is well up there with the other makes and models in my opinion. But these are supposed to be ‘smart’ sets and Panasonic really falls short here.

Above, you say Panasonic replied – “We are fully supportive of Which?’s position. We are committed to providing our customers with a first-rate experience and work hard with our suppliers to maintain a good service.” – well, in my experience that’s just a bad joke.

In my opinion. If you want smart avoid Panasonic.

Henry Clark says:
24 May 2014

My LG 32LD490 TV was less than 3 years old when the BBC disabled the iPlayer radio function. iPlayer allowed you to select radio programs but it just froze and never actually played the program. I complained to the BBC and all they did was modify the iPlayer application so that it said that the radio function no longer worked.

I took this up with John Lewis, from whom I have bought the TV, and they denied liability under the Sale of Goods Act. When I bought the TV it was because it had iPlayer and was promised to have the other catch-up services. These never appeared. I definitely feel that I was misled.

There is nothing wrong with the TV hardware and software; it will probably work for many years to come. It is the embedded third party applications that will gradually stop working as the providers decide not to support this platform. I believe that the TV manufacturer failed to obtain a guarantee of long term support from the BBC, and failed to obtain a licence from ITV, Channel 4 etc.

I now have a Humax HDR Fox T2 and I am worried that the apps will stop working long before it is worn out.

We definitely need new consumer protection laws that ensure that embedded applications continue to function for a reasonable time, say 10 years.

I have just experienced the loss of the BBC iPlayer catch up radio on my Smart TV, only purchased last year, (LG32LS570T) as well. I complained to LG via their technical support chat line and after going through the typical “try this, try that” etc, they said that the problem was not theirs because the app was supported by the BBC. I complained to the BBC who said they’d updated the iPlayer TV app to exclude the radio feature, because radio listeners listened mostly to music and this was better provided on the new iPlayer Radio app, which unfortunately is not available to Smart TVs. I was listening mainly to audio programmes rather than music on Radio4 catch up. So I now have a Smart TV which after only 12 months is not so Smart. I paid £350 for a piece of kit that has suddenly lost half its functionality in a year.

Ben Clark says:
24 May 2014

Though coming under the same heading my complaint is of a different nature.

Being a keen Do-It-Yourselfer I have over the last sixty years maintained/repaired many of our household appliances, until recent years with much help from the ‘Technical Departments’ of the various firms concerned.

However a few years ago my Zanussi built-in eye-level fan-oven needed a new element, which was fitted without too much trouble – once I had pulled it out of it’s housing – (not easy in your late seventies) only to find that everything is done form the front! Shortly afterwards the fan started giving trouble – not starting unless it was given a spin first (necessitating removing racks and the protective grill to gain access). In order to remove the fan to clean up/replace, the fan blade would first need removing. The central nut was tight, the blades flimsy, but the only means of preventing rotation to loosen the nut. The probability was that there was a left-hand thread; but with only the flimsy blades to lever against I did not wish to experiment.

So I sought the advice from the manufacturers – which appear to be the Hotpoint conglomerate. There was no Technical Department from which one could obtain advice and I was refused help point-blank – not even to inform me whether the nut involved was left or right-hand thread. All they were interested in was sending out an engineer, at exorbitant cost

So, apart from using it maybe two or three times a year, I make do with a halogen oven and the combination microwave. – and the resolve to avoid Hotpoint products.

I would be the first to admit that things have got considerably more complicated nowadays for many items. I always did my own car maintenance/repair, but you lift the bonnet of a modern car, look beneath and wonder where you would start (not that I have the inclination now). Happily much of it does not need doing. I have had my current car ten years now and in that time, to the best of my knowledge, the plugs have not been re-gapped or changed, the tappets adjusted, the contact points cleaned/adjusted or the timing tweaked, amongst the myriad tasks that occupied me years ago.

Ben,

Me too.

I have always purchased Hotpoint washing machines because the service manual and spares were readily available. I still maintain my own to this day.

When I tried to obtain a service manual for my Hotpoint oven they refused. When pushed, the person said I might injure myself trying to service the oven! Lame excuse – I think it must be the attitude in a different division. Next oven won’t be Hotpoint – I’ll check who will supply information & parts first.

As for the car, these days you need to connect it to a computer just to do the timing. Minor replacements available from Halfords are still OK though.

Adam says:
25 May 2014

I too am one of the really frustrated customers who was duped by Sony into spending £900 on a SONY KDL46w905 tv which was advertised as having netflix on it. It doesn’t. I has an app that says netflix on it but it doesn’t work! Have been treated incredibly badly by Sony and feel like i’ve been mugged. I specifically cancelled my tv package when i bought this tv because i thought i would just watch netflix through the tv rather than through my virgin tv package. Netflix has been good enough to suspend my subscription for a month, but Sony is just taking the micky. We should pool together and bring a law suit for breach of contract under the Sale of Goods Act.

bav says:
6 June 2014

Hi 2 off my mates have a w905 and i the lower spec w6 Netflix works fine on all the tvs, there isnt a problem and i haven’t heard of this before. Its more likely your isp or bandwidth problem. Have your internet conection checked you must have a minimum 5 Mbps for good streaming of Netflix
I would a say that these smart apps are on only a secondary function and picture quality should be your most important thing should consider when buying a tv. . The problem with 3rd party apps is that manufacturers don’t have any say in support or compatibility with newer TVs, that’s up the likes of Netflix and BBC i player to make sure they update there software consistently. If you really want netflix to work properly all the time use your laptop and connect it via HDMI TO YOUR TV, saying that Sony TVs with Netflix work fine, they even have a dedicated Netflix button on there new range. I think its your net connection and not the tv.

When I had a job, one of my many roles was to keep track of all the 3rd party products our numerous products used (that’s how I knew about the XP EOL). In fact I got that role because I complained to a director that what we were doing was crazy. A salesman would go out and sell a company 2 or more of our products, if we were lucky they’d be on different platforms if we weren’t, they’d use the same platform but different versions of the OS , database, you name it. It got very embarrassing trying to explain to a new client that what they’d been sold was not compatible with something else they’d just been sold. So you can see that it was essential if not for the sales force but to also make sure release notes mentioned everything they needed to. At the peak we had something like 50 different 3rd party products with as many as upto 10 different versions of many of them. I had one “little” spreadsheet which could only ever be printed on an A3 size of paper using a smallish size font. It was truly a mess trying to keep everyone happy and keep the spreadsheet upto date. Even after I’ve left with no one to drive it forward, on more then one occasion they almost delivered software to a client which needs version that the client doesn’t use.

So I can see why many companies don’t “support” numerous older versions, but from my experience there should be a happy medium, it should be possible to produce new stuff which doesn’t impact older versions if you just plan ahead properly. But sadly the almighty £, $ etc blinds management so it’ll never happen 🙁

terryindorset says:
25 May 2014

I ask about on-going support before I buy……..& purchase accordingly.

Colin Smith says:
25 May 2014

Who believes a salesman when he’s trying to make a sale.

@colin, You’d be surprised, many big name banks bought 1 or more products when they only needed to buy 1. Not sure I can name names but 1 oversees UK interest rates. And in the scheme of things they were small fry.

Took the onsite consultant a few weeks to get one product to export data out to the 1st and then back again. When the correct product would have done all of it, without the need for a second. Senior management seemed to love they idea of what had happened, many of us “grunts” were appalled.

So don’t believe bankers when they say you have to pay top dollar to get the best. ‘cos in my eyes there best ain’t worth a dime.

ND says:
25 May 2014

They’re helping destroying the planet by perpetuating a ‘throw away’ attitute in society and contributing to landfill – surely on that basis alone the government should step in and address this outrageous practice!!!?

I agree. Unfortunately the economic system seems to depend on manufacture and sale of goods and I don’t think this is going to change any time soon. I have never been comfortable with the thought that Which? – the Consumers’ Association – is encouraging us to buy, even if it is helping us to buy wisely.

I don’t hold out much hope for this or any other likely government addressing the problem of our throw-away society. The EU has produced some useful environmental legislation but they spend too much time interfering with less important matters.

The only way I can see manufacturers “buying” into a non throw away society is if there’s some other way of generating revenue from fewer sales, whether that be from charging alot more or moving to more of a “rental/recurring revenue” policy which will keep the money coming in. Can’t see etiher happening to be honest.

ND says:
25 May 2014

That’s why a change in policy is needed to force them to support software/devices/etc. for longer periods. Even simple things like Apple keep changing the charger shape so that iphone users are forced to keep buying new chargers is blatant greed and is creating a mass of redundant chargers good only for landfill, and this, and other similar practices, need to be stopped. They are not going to do this of their own choosing and it is only a change it law that will force such a change.

I thought the EU was already working on forcing companies to adopt a stand phone charger, although from googling it they do seem to be dragging their heels. I guess to many odd shaped bananas and other sillyness needs addressing.

Roger says:
25 May 2014

I’ve just had some success with Apple. After finding that I could no longer sync my Calendars and Contacts with my computer via iTunes because the version of iOS is now too old I complained to Apple saying that as they had made the system unreliable I was not going to buy a new phone but revert to a system that wouldn’t suddenly stop working, i.e Paper.
It seems millions around the world have also complained. Last Saturday syncing via iTunes was restored by Apple.

Pablo Williams says:
26 May 2014

I was one of the first purchase of the original iPad when it was released. I now find that Apple have basically abandoned all support of first generation iPads in favour of their new models. With updated generations of iPad devices being release on an almost yearly basis (and the upgrade from iPad1 to iPad2 being in less than a year) I feel that despite helping establish this product in the market place Apple have now cast us early adopters aside….