/ Technology

Has a printer update rendered your cartridges redundant?

Printer software update

You fire up your PC, turn on your printer and send a file to print and then… ‘cartridge not recognised’. The printer won’t print. So what’s changed since yesterday? You may be the latest victim of a printer update.

Third-party ink cartridges are generally a fraction of the price of printer-branded inks, but we’ve heard reports of printer updates rendering these cartridges unusable.

We asked Which? members to share their printing problems and a number of them sounded like they related to software updates. However, with some printers set to automatically update, it can be hard to pin a specific problem to a specific update. Ian C told us:

‘I bought compatible inks. After a few weeks they suddenly stopped working, with a message saying they were incompatible. Replaced them with new ones but had the same problem.’

Tony G had a similar experience:

‘Lo and behold, my printer has started rejecting – that is, not printing when I use third-party cartridges – but when I then replace them with printer-branded ones it seems to work fine.’

We tried updating the firmware on three second-hand printers in our lab and the printers worked just as well with third-party ink before updating as they did afterwards. So updates won’t always stop your cartridges from being recognised.

HP printers rejecting ink cartridges

However, there have been some very recent victims. Just last week we heard a number of reports from members whose HP printers have stopped working with the third-party inks.

Mr White’s printer ink cartridges have been affected by the latest update:

‘I own an HP 3055A printer which uses the popular 301 cartridge, today I changed the cartridges and find that the printer will no longer print as it detects that a non-HP cartridge has been installed. A printer update was reported as being available from HP when I turned the printer on – on the 7 March – and I updated prior to installing the new cartridges. After installing the new cartridge the information screen on the printer showed the message “incompatible cartridge detected”.’

Rob Stone has also suffered at the hands of a recent update to his HP Officejet 6600 and said:

‘I’ve been using third-party inks with no issues for several months. It was when I accidentally ran an HP update from my PC that the problem occurred. The error message said “There is a problem with the printer ink or system. Turn printer off, then on. If problem persists, contact HP”. It prevents me from moving to any other menu on the printer.’

Your right to use third-party printer inks

As iPhone 6 users suffering at the hands of the ‘Error 53’ message know only too well, update issues aren’t only a problem for printers. But, fortunately for affected phone users, Apple released a fix.

In light of this latest glut of update issues, we’ve approached HP to find out what’s causing the problem and whether it’ll be possible for those affected to get their printers working with their inks again.

You absolutely should be able to choose to use third-party ink in your printer. The big consumer printer brands have all signed up to a voluntary agreement which includes a provision around not preventing third-party ink from being used in their printers.

If you’ve suffered a ‘printerruption’ as result of a printer software update – or which you suspect is as a result of a recent update – we want to hear about it.

Comments

@hhennessy Hi Hollie – From the recent posts it looks as if HP is using a firmware update to prevent use of third party toner cartridges.

Same problem on my m254dw. Is there a way to revert back to an old firmware version? Thx

It might be worth contacting HP and asking, DP. From the introduction to this topic: “It may not be quite so simple to roll back a printer update. We’ve previously spoken to printer manufacturers about software updates, with Brother, Canon and Epson telling us that reverting to a previous firmware version wasn’t usually possible at all. HP stood out from the crowd by saying that you could roll ball its updates, but it’s not an obvious or simple process.”

Download the file from this site: https://www.ghost-white-toner.com/firmware-update-warning/

On your printer, turn off auto updates, turn on the allow backdates.
Disconnect the printer from the internet.
Remove the 3rd party carts and close the door, printer will still run.
Do a factory reset.
Connect your computer to the printer via USB, let the computer find the printer.
On computer, ensure that the printer is shared, you can turn off later.
Run the software, ensure you select the correct printer from any list displayed.
Wait.
The printer should now install the new firmware, this may take anything up to 15 mins.
Once done. Disconnect the USB lead, put the carts back in.
Try a test page to see if the backdate has taken.
If it hasn’t, try again, the process can be a bit twitchy.

HP is doing more than make consumer access to third party cartridges difficult. It recently revoked the security certificates for Apple computers on a range of printers including my HP 1510. HP say Apple did it. Apple say they would never do it unless asked to do so by HP. My 1510 still works fine under windows 10 but will not work at all with my iMac. I have tried various approaches with HP tech support and elsewhere but to no avail. I am left with a useless printer and 3 brand new, in box cartridges. HP telephone agents such as “customer service” have no authority to organise redress. I have left several messages with them asking for contact with a manager. I have emailed their customer services asking for contact with a manager. HP just ignore all requests. This is a shoddy commercial practice to try and force people to buy new printers. It certainly works though. I have bought a new printer – from Canon. It is great. I will never buy an HP product again.

Hi Robert – The HP website says that your 1510 is compatible with MacOS 10.14 (Mojave): https://printerdrivers.com/hp-deskjet-1510-driver Which version of OSX do you have on your iMac?

One of the reasons I have stayed with HP printers is that they are usually good at supporting new and older Macs.

Anne C says:
16 November 2020

I have a HP Laser Jet Pro MFP M281 fdw. I responded to a prompt on the machine to update the firmware a few days ago and since then the printer is not responding. The error message is that the ‘supplies are not communicating’ with the printer. Yet, all these 3rd party (and relatively new) toner cartridges worked perfectly well before I did the software update. This is most definitely a ploy by HP to force me to buy a whole new set of HP cartridges. However, I am nor working (due to Covid 10) and to replace all these cartriges will cost over £400! I feel reall angry with HP to do this especillay at a time when people like me are going through hard times. I am totally disgusted with this company. Is there anything you you could suggest I should do to sort this out, please?

Hi Anne – If you search the web for ‘supplies are not communicating’ you will find examples of other users who have seen this message after a firmware update. I suggest you contact HP and ask for advice. It might also be worth contacting the supplier of your toner cartridges, who might be able to help. Unless the Competition and Markets Authority acts, we may all be forced to pay silly prices.

Anne Conway says:
20 November 2020

Thank you, Wavechange, for the advice. The HP forums were filled with people having the same problem as me. One post suggested programming the printer to accept downgrades, and then said to re-install a previous firmware driver. However, HP must have got wind of this because the said previous driver was quickly removed from the HP website. Anyway, I managed to get hold of the driver else where on the net, and this solution totally worked for me. I won’t be trusting HP again with thier ‘updates’ and neither will I be buying any more of their products. To act like this, especially at a time when so many people are enduring financial hardship, is disgraceful. If HP really did sign the voluntary agreement to allow 3rd party ink etc, why are they allowed to behave like this? Yet another unenforcable law?!

Thanks for coming back, Anne and congratulations for getting your printer back in operation. Andy posted about HP having removed earlier versions of firmware from their website on the previous page of this Convo: https://conversation.which.co.uk/technology/printer-software-update-third-party-printer-ink/#comment-1611268

Would you please report this to the CMA, which is responsible for policing anti-competitive behaviour?

Anne Conway says:
20 November 2020

I shall most certainly report this to the CMA and will let you know the outcome.

Thanks Anne. I am surprised that business has not put an end to printer manufacturers blocking third party cartridges. Now that HP is doing this with expensive toner cartridges, perhaps business will help.

Anne,
Just hit the same problem with my m254dw colour laser printer. may I ask where you obtained the Driver from?
I’m retired, do voluntary community work, and definitely cannot afford HP brand cartridges.

Huw Ross says:
30 November 2020

I also cant use my M254dw anymore – does anyone have the old firmware that i can have?

Anne says:
8 December 2020

Hi Geoff. I have a different model HP printer so the source won’t work for you. However, you could keep Googling the model and problem and hope someone out there has the old drivers/firmware, and therefore the solution. This is what I did. It took a while but I found it. Good luck.

Anne says:
8 December 2020

Hi Wavechange. I eventually got a response from the CMA but it was a fairly bog standard, non-committal one. They did nevertheless appear to agree that HP were at fault:

“Your complaint will help us to understand better the problems that people are experiencing and to take action to tackle unfair business practices. We are taking very seriously the many complaints we are receiving on these issues, and the information you have provided us is extremely valuable.

We might need to contact you again to request further information but, if you do not hear further from us, please rest assured that your concerns are being taken into account – you do not need to do anything further.”

I wonder though if they really are taking this seriously… ?!

Hi Anne and thanks very much for reporting back. The response does look unhelpful but it acknowledges that CMA are receiving many complaints, which is a step forward. Perhaps if more people do make complaints to CMA we might have some action. Using firmware updates to block third party ink cartridges has happened for years but extending this to block more expensive toner cartridges might help to precipitate action.

Buy a used brothers or epson or canon. Let hp put themselves out of business. It’s what they deserve!

I just updated my Epson WF-4725 firmware and now it tells me I am not using Epson ink and my only on-screen option now is to “Change Ink” and must use Epson inks which currently are on sale in a certain large PC store for £74.90 – the printer only cost £65 so it’s going into the bin and I’ll find a company that allows third party software. I can’t copy or scan either let alone try to print via Word, Excel etc. BE WARNED, DON’T DO THE NOVEMBER 20 FIRMWARE UPDATE as once you do, the compatible cartridges will be no good unfortunately. So long Epson after 20 odd years of buying your printers

Jill Holmes says:
19 November 2020

Just performed an “update” of my printer software via automatic download this morning. Since that very moment, none of my third party brand toner cartridges will work. Infuriating.

Jill Holmes says:
19 November 2020

Sorry. It is an HP M281FDW.

My expensive HP Color Laser Jet Pro stopped printing and went off line. It permanently displayed “Supply Problem”. This followed a firmware update a few days ago.
Looking on line it appears that this update is the culprit.
Fortunately, after a very frustrating afternoon I found someone on line who had managed to upload the previous firmware version.
HP don’t make it easy but I did manage it. Everything appears as it was – the printers on line printing and scanning. I am surprised it’s actually legal to prevent the use of third party ink.

Hi Andrew – If you have a look at the posts on this and the previous page you will see that HP firmware updates are causing problems for laser printer owners and that providing you can find earlier firmware you should be able to rectify the problem. Best of luck and please let us know how you get on.

I have a HP Laserjet Pro MFP 180nw. It is about 2 years old and worked perfectly. Until the upgrade.
Now it is just locked up with supply error.
This happened to me on my HP 8630 Inkjet. But someone sued HP and they reversed that one. 3rd party cartridges work fine on the 8630.

So, now what? Wait for another Class Action suit? Or just toss a perfectly good, expensive laser printer and all of the cartridges in the dumpster?

I have 3 HP printers and I think I will systematically replace each one. HP cartridges for the 180 are around $225.00. The 3rd party units are about $90.00.

I do not want to buy another printer and run inrto the same problem. I am looking at the
Canon Color Image CLASS MF644Cdw…does anyone have experience with this printer?

Thanks

Viviane says:
24 November 2020

I had Epson printers for years and the last year I receive a message before every update, which is almost daily!!!! It says that there is a new updat…I click that I do not want it and deny them to activate it but they still do so. Then after this happens I keep getting a message : It seems like you are not using original Epson cartridges etc etc….Hard to get rid of this message in the middle of my screen! It is my right to use whatever I want in my printer and I find this pretty rude to treat customers like this!
I buy in bulk and the 3rd party ink works a treat and cost less than 1/4 of the originals then!
I will not buy a new Epson if this problem has not been solved asap!

Roberto says:
26 November 2020

My HP MFP-M281fdw got bricked after the last automatic firmware upgrade because I was using non original HP toner cartridges.
I had to downgrade the firmware in order to restore it but those bandits (YES!) at HP took the old firmware copy offline from their FTP server, in order to render impossible the downgrade.
Fortunately I found a user online who kept a copy of it.
Never ever again HP products, I am done with this company.

Why this tirade against HP?

I bought my first Hewlett Packard LaserJet II in 1988. It cost around £2,000 and the B&W toner cartridge cost about £100. Ignoring the capital cost, it cost about 2p per page to run. I’ve still got it and it would probably still work if I plugged it in.

I bought an HP LaserJet 4 around 1995, because I needed 600 dpi resolution and Microsoft Intellifont compatibility. Around £1,000 outlay, but similar toner cartridge cost and print cost per page.

I still have it, but finally upgraded to an HP Color LaserJet Pro M447fdw in 2017, for £320, including 3 years on site warranty, which has just expired without problems. Features include Network attached, duplex, full colour, integrated sheet fed, duplex scanner and fax.

Just my first HP flatbed scanner (B&W) only, cost £1,200, and a later HP colour scanner was not much less.

Genuine HP 410X series cartridges cost about £110 – £140 each and have a life of 6,000 impressions. Sure, you use all 4 CMYK cartridges for colour work, but that still works out at less than 10p per sheet, which is an absolute bargain compared to the cost of running any inkjet printer with disposable cartridges that you could name.

Technology is getting cheaper year-on-year, but the capital value of the latest HP printers is now less than the sum of the parts. HP have to make a profit somehow, and they need to compete with other manufacturers who use the “free” printer + consumables pricing model. Making you use their branded printer cartridges is not dishonest . After all, you bought a quality machine at cost price, but now expect to run it on cheap toner to save a couple of pence per copy.

I’ve found that most companies I consult for who buy “compatible” toner cartridges aren’t really saving money. Sometimes, the toner spills over the inside of the machine, the toner leaks over the paper, resulting in streaks and splodges, or the cartridge just stops working before its rated page count. Toner isn’t always of the same quality, not as vibrant or sharp.

Would you buy a BMW and use monograde mineral oil instead of fully-synthetic in the engine, to save a bit of money?

P.S. I have no connection with HP, other than great repect and admiration for the engineering of the original (Bill) Hewlett (Dave) Packard company. It was the Apple of its day.

I miss my 2006 HP printer that failed earlier this year. It was far superior to the Epson I replaced it with.

Em – I shared your respect for the HP company. They have produced a great deal of very good equipment. My introduction was when I was introduced to their amazing desktop programmable calculators using RPN when I was a student, at a time when four function calculators had yet to hit the consumer market. Their scientific equipment division was spun-off as Agilent.

I bought an HP 6MP printer for work (£700) and another for home, and had good service from them. I have not bought anything other than HP laser printers apart for a short-lived Lexmark colour laser at work.

The problem I have with the HP inkjets is the amount of expensive ink they use cleaning their print heads. Turning the machine on and off puts it through a cleaning cycle even if the heads were cleaned minutes before. Leaving the printer on standby avoids this happening but I have frequent short power cuts that are enough to trigger head cleaning on both my HP printers. Printers record information about use and they could record when the heads were cleaned rather than waste ink. I started using cheaper compatible ink around ten years ago and have had no problems using it.

I would be happy to pay an unsubsidised printer if the manufacturer made ink available at a sensible price. Perhaps ink tank printers could be the way forward.

Having for years had Brother printers which were very good and reliable but not terribly versatile, when one packed up two or three years ago we got an HP and were so satisfied with it we bought another one when our last Brother eventually failed. We print 500-800 pages a month and haven’t had any problems; we only use HP ink and are not aware of any wastage issues – no doubt because we leave the printers on all the time – and any test pages are quite economical in ink use. They are also very good at double-sided printing which is useful and saves paper. We normally use 80gsm [or higher] paper which seems to avoid any paper feed problems; we have never had to un-jam an HP printer, which is worth something.

I’ve used Canon inkjets – just two in the last 15 years – and have only used OEM inks. One son had a presentation to put together that included stuff printed on one 15 years ago. He found the original printed copy and the text and coloured pictures were as good as the day they were printed. I have photographs that have been on display for the same time that retain the original vibrant colours. The OEM ink may be more expensive but I don’t use a lot and durability is more important than price.

I’d like to see Which? test ink colour durability as part of their assessment. An important attribute if you want lasting copies, particularly photographs. There is a US standard that specifies accelerated testing using a UV source.

Thanks Malcom, logged this one down for the research team to look into.

John – All inkjet printers flush their print heads with ink to prevent blockages, but some use much more ink than necessary and Which? has regularly mentioned this. If an inkjet printer is used regularly and not switched off it will waste less ink than one that is switched off after use. When an HP printer is cleaning the heads you may see a message such as ‘preparing for printing’ on the screen.

Here is one article about the problem: https://conversation.which.co.uk/technology/printer-ink-waste-cost-printing-test/

There is no logical reason why a printer should use more ink if it is switched off after use because the time/date that this happened can be stored in non-volatile memory, as done with page count etc.

Laser printers do not waste toner and have various other advantages but they are not usually recommended if you want to print photos.

Wavechange – you shouldn’t have got me started on HP RPN calculators!

I too had the joy of learning how to use an HP desktop calculator, connected to an IBM Selectric (“golf ball”) typewriter for outputs and graphing. It taught me how to program properly, with HP manuals included on how to design and flowchart solutions to compex problems, skills I still use to this day.

The first hand-held calculator I ever used was an HP35. It was the first scientific pocket calculator on the market. I couldn’t wait to buy my own and ended up a few years later with a second hand HP45. Even that cost me £150, but I’ve still got it and it still works, except for the rechargeable Ni-Cad battery pack.

I’ve bought two more HP RPN calculators since as, having learnt the “hard” way with RPN, I can’t stand calcalators with [=] and [( )] keys. My latest is an HP28S, made in 1986. Apart from new batteries every few years I use it every day. It still amuses me when someone asks to borrow my calculator … .

So just three HP calculators in over 40 years, all working and fit for purpose. I’ve lost track of how many mobile phones, laptops, televisions and domestic appliances have broken down or been rendered obsolete in that time.

All – as to inkjet printers, I agree the high cost and unnecessary wastage of ink is extortionate, but the moans seemed to be mostly about toner (laser printer) cartridges.

I put my faith in Canon inkjet printers and original cartridges, but only for photo-quality work now I have a colour LaserJet. I have two Canons, which are both excellent. Why do I have two? Because it was cheaper, when on special offer, to buy the newer model with integrated scanner, other features and ink cartridges included , than a new set of inkjet cartridges for my older Canon.

Canon is another company with a very long history of innovaton. They built the original LaserJet print engines used by HP. It was only HP’s superior printer control language (PCL) that meant they became the defacto standard, and every other laser printer manufacturer to this day has to emulate the LaserJet if they want market share. Again, we have third-parties profiting on the back of HP’s R&D and intellectual property.

Sadly the original Hewlett-Packard company is no more, being forced to split the business due to bad management decisions and poor acquisitions. Printers are still manufactured by HP Inc. Rumour has it, the pun was intended.

I well remember using the HP35, Em, but I could not afford one of my own. As a student I make a lot of use of an HP 9100B programmable calculator, which had a magnetic card reader to save programs, a thermal printer and an optical card reader accessory. We also had the earlier HP 9100A in our university Chemistry department. I well remember leaving the HP calculating Pi by the iterative Newton-Raphson method while I had a couple of pints in the union bar with a fellow student. I think it managed 3.14. Happy days.

I well remember the IBM golf ball typewriters and the odd-ball IBM Executive typewriter that used conventional type-bars but achieved proportional spacing.

The use of firmware updates to block use of third party cartridges has been known for years and as mentioned in the introduction, the main manufacturers had a voluntary agreement not to do this. The comments about laser printers did not appear until recently, though the first mention I have seen was on a US website last year.

I bought third party cartridge, bit i dont print on my HP Officejet Pro 6950. I want previosly firmware. When i can download to use third party cartridge??

We have had a Photosmart 5520 for some years using non HP cartridges. We have just wasted 2 sets of cartridges as we were getting the message
“One or more cartridges appear to be missing or damaged.
Install or replace the affected cartridges”
Are there any decent printer/scanners that do not have this problem? I have read that is is caused by a firmware update. The HP support website appears to be down. A lovely New Year’s present!

Hi Barbara – Unless the error message appeared after a firmware update there might be another reason. I had this message on an HP printer years ago and discovered that the ‘chip’ was missing from a cartridge I had installed. It had fallen off during transport or storage and fitting it to the cartridge fixed the problem.

I did a web search for your error message and found this video, which shows another possible problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2r_Cs17nDw If you can sort out the problem I suggest you reseal the spare cartridges to prevent them drying up, until you need them.

Thank you for the help. I have just checked the firmware version and it is dated 2016, so probably not that. I watched the utube video, and checked, and I used a micro cloth to clean the contacts on the cartridges. No signs of any damage inside the printer. I think it is probably time for a new printer. Perhaps a canon next time!!

Hi again Barbara – At least you have established that the problem is unlikely to be due to a firmware update. Had you fitted a set of HP original cartridges and achieved nothing, that would have been expensive.

Before buying another printer it would be worth searching online for help. I have no experience of doing a reset or factory reset on a printer but that approach fixed a problem with my Pure DAB radio a couple of years ago. Search for something like “factory reset hp printer” and look for clear instructions for a model similar to your own. If the printer is going to be scrapped it’s worth trying any suggestion, even if it is not on the HP website. Fingers crossed. 🤞

I have a lovely Epson workforce Pro WF-3720 which I bought about 6 months ago to replace a more expensive WorkForce Pro 4 something or other. The older printer had terrible problems with compatible ink cartridges, but after about a year the screen broke (my fault) so I replaced it. this Epson now won’t print black. I print 6 days a week, so it has no excuse for drying out. Did everything, cleaned print heads, swapped out the ink etc. But no joy. I was just about to invest in a HP Laser Mono until I heard the issue with Apple above. So now I’m at a loss. Any recommendations: for a multifunction printer (mono is ok) that will auto double side print and be ok with compatible ink or toner? Small office use: 10-50 sheets a day, depending. Thanks

Phil says:
28 January 2021

Have you considered a printer that uses ink tanks?

I think it is pretty clear that printer producers are working hard to kill third party ink cartridges on their printers in order to rape the funds with their inks. Epson have certainly done it with the firmware update on my printer a month ago. I now have a drawer full of useless refills and I either bin those and spend £100 on a set of Epson inks or take a hammer to the printer. Epsom were facing a class action suit in US over this but the two lead prosecutors simply dropped out late last year it seems….. Hmm wonder how that happened? My wife is keen to buy Epson inks, I want to film the sledge hammer route and post it on YouTube…… Wonder why ‘Which’ don’t ask the Epson CEO for a comment on this firmware scam? Clearly I’ll never buy another Epson product…

Had this happen this afternoon, printer bricked by HP, refusal to work with 3d party carts.

Recovered after two hours of swearing. Downloaded from net earlier firmware for my printer (an M254dw in this case). Then blinded the printer by disconnecting ethernet and wireless and then a factory reset. Finally, removed the 3d party carts from the printer and closed the door, left the printer empty. Connected laptop via USB and burned the firmware to the printer, then let it do its update process.

Sorted, working, but two hours of my life gone when I should have been working on a project. Thanks for nothing, HP.

Daniel says:
25 January 2021

Have finally binned my HP printer and am never going back. Their updates made it unusable even when I relented and signed up for their instant ink service. Their support are terrible and with the endless hours I’ve had to spend getting it working each time I try to print something it has honestly been the worst and most frustrating purchase I’ve ever made.

Phil says:
28 January 2021

Had an old HP printer and been re-filling the cartridges for years. This time around the cartridge refused to work after being re-filled (it happens) but HP have decided to cease making them and I can’t even find any ‘re-manufactured’ or clones. So I have a perfectly serviceable printer deliberately rendered useless.

Hi Phil – Which cartridges are you looking for?

pcspinheiro says:
29 January 2021

Same here with an x551dw: been nagging for months about an update, which I refused until recently. Was so fed up with the constant beeping and message on the screen that I gave in. Big mistake! The more than half full ink cartridges are now all “damaged” and I’m told to buy original HP supplies! This has to be illegal, THEY ruined 100€ worth of cartridges! They were perfectly fine BEFORE the update. If I could tell the here to go F themselves I would. Guess who will not sell me another printer, EVER?

Hi
Glad to see I’m not alone (not really, I think its appalling behaviour from these companies). I Have HP 5530, using MacBook pro 2015 with Big Sur version 11.1, of which, wifi printing is enabled from 2x phones, iPad, said mac, & an acer. I had printer error & incompatibility msg’s, long story short, lead me to try to update drivers. Well every step i took got worse. HP zero help. For sometime, the printer would intermittently function, usually on one or the other cartridge, until eventually not recognising HP ink at all. I only ever used genuine ink, problem started half way through a black cartridge. Then thinking my printer was completely dead after I had purchased all new ink (business printer), I rang a repair company that advised best buy a new printer. Rang store to discuss new printer and ask if I could return unopened ink & have a refund for the “incompatible ink”, or to recommend a printer that used the same cartridges. I was told, they no longer have any printers that suit that cartridge. Yes got refund on unused ink. Looking for advice. Can this model be reset, and how? or should I buy a new printer? Your thoughts on continuous tanks as opposed to cartridges? Will I have ink freedom using continuous ink? or will I be locked in same as cartridges to “printerruptions”? I’m also toying with buying an A3 continuous ink printer (not essential, but if similar price I’d go for it, lots of map printing)? Looking for guidance on products and brands? I have been doing some Google research but difficult to find anything on that model, HP basically do not have support and have been completely unhelpful on this issue. I’m haunted about buying from them again, but seems the problem maybe endemic and non generic. Also in Australia.
TIA
PS I know it is a cheap old printer, but I would rather that than constantly upgrading and disposing to landfill, I grew up in a generation where things came with 10,20,30, 50 or lifetime warranties and we gave someone a job repairing our old broken things….

Polly says:
7 February 2021

Our Epson printer stopped working with 3rd party cartridges last year after an update. As we need the printer for online schooling I have no choice but to purchase Epson ink which costs a small fortune lasts for only around 20 pages. It’s about time that printer manufacturers were compelled by law to ensure that they are not contributing to outrageaous plastic waste and milking customers by making it impossible to shop elsewhere for essential printer ink. In this day and age this type of cynical practice should be criminal!

Andrea says:
8 February 2021

Yep… HP firmware update completely blocks use of the 3rd-party cartridges we have. With 2 adults working and 3 kids schooling at home due to Covid, the cost of printing with only HP cartridges is abhorrent … I’m furious. Printer ink -by weight- is one of the most expensive liquids on the planet. And the manufactures program the machines to not even use all of the contents of the cartridges … they’re perpetuating extreme wastefulness. It’s a scam but they know they have us all over a barrel. This really should be illegal and better enforced.

Here, mentioned information is perfect to the core. Most of the printers need to install the latest printer drivers. That makes the installation better.