/ Shopping, Technology

Tesco – I can call, I can write, so why can’t I email you?

Does anyone else hate it when a company insists you contact them by letter or phone, rather than email? If you do, then my search for an email address to contact Tesco Credit Cards may cause extreme distress.

So I had a small problem with my Tesco credit card, and I needed to get in touch with them to sort it out.

Working for Which?, I know it’s usually easier to get things in writing in case you need to refer to your discussions at a later date. So, I went to the contact page of their website to find an email address.

I was surprised to find there wasn’t one – not even a contact form – just a postal address and a phone number. This struck me as odd – I applied for the card online and I manage my account online, so why can’t I contact Tesco online? A bit of digging found their Twitter account, so I tweeted asking for an email address.

Their answer? They couldn’t give me an email address for ‘data protection reasons’.

Am I getting too personal?

I was completely nonplussed. For a start, I see no reason why sending them an email would be a breach of data protection. Is their email address extremely personal to them? Should it not be in the public domain?

Furthermore, I was horrified that even though I could apply for a credit card, pay the balance and change my direct debit details online, I couldn’t drop them a quick email to ask them to fix a simple problem.

I got in touch with Tesco, and here’s what their spokesperson had to say:

‘At present, credit card customers can’t contact us by email. We ask customers to contact us by phone or in writing as this allows us to confirm their identity by asking them to provide their unique security credentials or signature.’

I’m afraid that, to me, that’s just not good enough. I spoke to someone at the Office of Fair Trading who pointed me to the European e-commerce regulations which state that a company selling goods and services online must provide an email address. This, apparently, includes companies who sell financial products, such as credit cards.

No, I don’t want your phone number

I also spoke to our in-house lawyer, Chris Warner, and here’s what he had to say:

‘If a website provides or enables you to purchase a service, the e-commerce regulations mean an email address must be provided. As you can apply for a Tesco Credit Card online, and you’ll be told straight away if your application has been successful, I think Tesco needs to include a contact email on its site.’

We’ve been in touch with Tesco on this matter, and I’m hoping that very soon we’ll see a handy email address displayed prominently on their contact page. Customers should be able to get in touch with them quickly and efficiently – without having to rack up a phone bill or faff around at the post office.

But, in the meantime, I’d like to know whether you’ve also struggled to track down a company’s email address.

When I raged about this in the office, Which? Convo editor Hannah Jolliffe pointed out that she’d spent a long time trying to find an email address for McAfee – they did have one, but it was buried deep in their website in a way that suggests they’d rather not receive any emails. Have you had similar frustrations?

Comments

This comment was removed at the request of the user

I’m very annoyed at not being able to email Tesco Bank and have found these email addresses in their site: –
insurancecomplaints@i.tescobank.com – for Car Insurance, Home Insurance, Travel Insurance or Life Insurance
tesco.tcm@uk.rsagroup.com – for Pet Insurance
TBBankingComplaints@i.tescobank.com – for Banking products (Loans, Credit Cards, Savings, Current Account, Travel Money or Payment Protection Insurance)
TBMortgageComplaints@mor.tescobank.com – for Mortgages

They want you to pay 0345 charges and postage to complain to them. I suspect that emailing is labour intensive and they’re trying to scrimp on customer support.

This article was published in 2011 it is now 2016 and Tesco Bank still do not have electronic communication, suggests their systems are not robust enough to handle email traffic. They’d probably get weighed down with complaints

Jane says:
16 June 2016

I’m in total agreement with you, I also searched for one and was so furious that they don’t provide one that I’m thinking of moving my business elsewhere.

Tony W says:
13 July 2016

Tried to find same E mail address to complain ,non existent, they have just lost a customer !!!!!

Barbara Neyland says:
20 August 2016

I have had similar problems with tesco banking especially with the app. I rang up and was highly dissatisfied and said I was going to complain and he actually laughed. Now I know why- it’s because the only way I can complain is to ring them up and that’s what I wanted to complain about. It’s ok for them to say that they record the conversations but they don’t send us a copy do they? We literally get nothing from them except dissatisfaction. I can’t tell you how fuming I am at the moment

This comment was removed at the request of the user

Barbara – A comment above from Steve [15 April 2016] lists some e-mail addresses for Tesco services including one for Tesco Bank. I should give that a try in the first instance.

N.B. Steve also refers to charges for calling an 0345 number but that is the same as calling an 01 or 02 number and usually free within the inclusive call charges from a landline phone.

Barbara; -you could always send them a Subject Access Request, (which costs £10), and ask for a copy of all telephone conversations as well as your personal data.

Barbara, as has probably been said earlier you can find Tesco email addresses on the website ceoemail.com.

In view of the time it clearly takes some people in trying to make contact, I’d suggest they write a letter, recorded delivery if necessary. We can overlook this useful and effective communication method.

Grahame says:
25 August 2016

Still no email address listed so what are they playing at. I’m going to cancel my card.

This comment was removed at the request of the user

This comment was removed at the request of the user

Graham, you will find a list of email addresses for Tesco at CEOemail.com. If your problem concerns their bank, credit card, finance, insurance then you could email the CEO – benny.higgins@tescobank.com, assuming the site is up to date.

I too need to contact Tesco by e-mail about my credit card. I called them about not receiving a service I’d paid for by credit card. I was advised to e-mail the company concerned, and then forward my e-mail, and the company’s reply, to the Fraud Team of Tesco Bank. I didn’t think to to ask for an e-mail address as I assumed it would be on their website. So short of printing off the e-mails and sending them to Tesco, I’m stuck! Seems a backward step

My comment directly above yours gives an email address. I suggest you forward your correspondence to him. I’m sure if the contact is up-to-date it will be dealt with.

patty says:
4 September 2016

Hi there well done!! I also hate these company’s that insist you ring them and then hold on the phone for ages, I also like proof of my conversations as you can never prove what’s been said on the telephone

I tried to contact Tesco today. Their ‘contact us’ page gives a long list of (non freephone) telephone numbers but no email address. Bafflingly, they also encourage you to contact them through twitter or facebook. This is extremely unprofessional! They are a bank not a supermarket! And I am a bank account holder, not a 13-year old girl, why should I use ‘social media’ to contact my financial institution?!

This comment was removed at the request of the user

Lucy – All the 0345 telephone numbers on the Tesco Bank ‘contact us’ page are charged at the same rate as 01 and 02 numbers. In almost every case these are included within your telecom tariff so there is no additional charge for calling an 0345 number.

Not being a Tesco Bank customer I cannot check, but other on-line banking services have a secure message facility within the website. I agree that nobody should have to make their banking enquiries via social media and I wouldn’t maintain an account with a bank that featured that process

Lucy, have you looked at CEOemail.com where lots of addresses are given?

Olivia says:
24 October 2016

Here is the website address with all the emails addresses. They are right at the bottom….. hiding

Joanne Back says:
25 October 2016

I totally couldn’t agree more!
I too have an issue, and have actually written to Tesco at their Glasgow address – but this was ignored!
(At present they have long waiting times when you try to phone).
I now have been given a late payment fee through no fault of my own.
I have written to them again – a much stronger letter – it really makes one quite angry!!! I hope this letter is not overlooked as well?
I have no confidence in their system, in fact I have now destroyed my bank card in total frustration, anger, annoyance and disrespect for a very long normally loyal customer!

Ellie says:
25 October 2016

I have just tried to find an email address… hence trawling the net for the address I came across this site. I find it unbelievable that with modern communication there is no email contact address! If printed proof is required surely they have a printer for the email sent, and could request you log into your account online to verify identity?? If logging into my account is safe enough to prove identity to control my money, surely it’s safe enough to send a message.

This comment was removed at the request of the user

This comment was removed at the request of the user

This comment was removed at the request of the user

John Leonard says:
5 November 2016

Tesco sent me a text on Saturday evening saying there may be fraudulent activity on my account. Instead of calling me, they asked me to call them – I have now been waiting on the phone for an answer for 55 minutes and I can’t sent them an email to complain. As they have contacted me with a message that I am concerned about I think this is totally unacceptable!!

Watch out this could a hoax. Always call a number on their website – never one in an email.

This comment was removed at the request of the user

Exactly the same as John Leonard above!! totally unacceptable.!!

Nathalie says:
21 November 2016

I have had an Internet saver with pennies in it because I was unable to close it fully 3 years ago. I decided to apply for a Tesco bank account because it’s a reasonable interest rate but because I was recognised I had to put in username etc, I was then asked security questions – I have no idea what make and model car I may have put in at the time of opening the saver 6 years ago! Consequently I was told to ask for a temporary security number, but I can’t find any way of asking for one, no email address and no way of contacting except by phone. I have wasted half an hour looking and now reading these messages I have decided to open an account elsewhere, they may think they’re protecting data by not giving an email address and yet they can still be hacked. Totally put off this bank! And they can keep the money in my other account.

Ed Addis says:
2 December 2016

Please don’t begin sentences with ‘So … ‘. It’s unnecessary, and extremely annoying.

This comment was removed at the request of the user

Some interviewees when asked a question on radio or tv start their reply with “so” and I also find that irritating. Just as when seemingly intelligent people use “nucular” or say “could of”. However, the irritation doesn’t last long, no more than when people repeatedly use *you know* as they ramble on. Probably nerves when being in the spotlight. What does irritate me for longer is when people make a reply that is not an answer to the question asked; practised by politicians and others who clearly simply want to say what they want and avoid having to explain what they do not want explained.

This comment was removed at the request of the user

Michael Richardson says:
19 January 2017

When I was the victim of a hit and run, I ended up in a wheelchair for months with serious injuries and a head injury off work for more than a year and ended up losing my job. I tried to contact Barclaycard Payment Protector service (which I had paid for for years – a sort of PPI) and not only could I not get an email address, I couldn’t even talk to them on the phone! I spent days trying to contact anyone. No one knew about the product, they sent me round in circles and In then they told me to they would only deal with me if I wrote them a letter. Given that I couldn’t walk or even leave my own house without assistance, I couldn’t reach the postbox in a wheelchair, and the product was supposed to be specifically for people who may be out of work due to a serious injury, I was disgusted with this response and very, very upset. I suspect they never had a team to talk to in the first place. Eventually I got an apology after emailing the ombudsman. But still no email address…
Anyway – now I’m trying to email tesco and found your link by accident (And used it to vent my spleen- thanks!) 🙂

Debbie M says:
14 April 2017

I have just used the complaints email address:

insurancecomplaints@i.tescobank.com

and my email appears to have finally been delivered – fingers crossed someone actually responds as I am currently in Australia and am definitely not even considering picking up the phone to be placed on hold for an indeterminate period of time!

Tesco Bank are still sticking to the line that they have no legal or regulatory obligation to offer secure email. Using Tesco Bank Customer Service is so laborious if you wish to interact with any other method then phone. The executive team write letters that take ages to arrive and when they do they stick very close to their Terms and Conditions and the letter of the law at the expense of offering good service or a satisfying customer experience. The offering Tesco Bank gives in comparison to a seasoned operator like Barclays is laughable. The staff continually apologise for not having secure email but nothing seems to change. Oddly enough they even say Benny Higgins is unable to implement secure email messaging which seems hard to believe seeing as he is CEO. I have now decided to vote with me feet,I’m taking my business elsewhere and I hope many others do to.