/ Shopping

Stairs? We still want online shopping delivered to the door

Man carrying package upstairs

Do you order from Sainsbury’s online and live on the first floor? If so, you may find yourself carrying your own shopping up the stairs from now on. The question is, will this force you to take your custom elsewhere?

Sainsbury’s has told delivery staff that if customers live on the first floor and there’s no lift they can leave your shopping at the bottom of the stairs. This is ‘to ensure the health and safety of our customers and drivers are protected’.

Although Sainsbury’s rules don’t dictate this so you may find they’ll accommodate you, which makes the whole thing a bit of a lottery. But as an avid online shopper who lives on the first floor I’ll be ordering elsewhere from now on.

The more we shop online the more the fault lines between the ‘go out of their way’ companies and the ‘barely going far enough’ companies develop. And this definitely isn’t limited to supermarkets.

My John Lewis bed was delivered on time and, as I was staring at it in bewilderment, also assembled for me – a clear case of going the extra mile in the name of good service.

But many companies aren’t like this – we’ve heard stories about parcels left out in the rain, left with neighbours you don’t speak to and even thrown over fences. None of this necessarily thwarts the convenience of online shopping but it’s not improving the experience either.

What’s your worst delivery experience? Do you think Sainsbury’s should deliver to your door or are we expecting too much from the poor delivery staff?

Comments
asdadriver says:
9 July 2014

Let me share a couple of stories (I have many more) with you that may give an understanding of what we face every day.

Halfway through a delivery up 4 flights of stairs my associate fell down one of the flights carrying empty Totes, injuring himself so badly he had to have a lot of time off work, how many weeks I do not know because he was sacked for not being able to work. Now I`m not saying the driver was sacked just because of this incident, this was just the straw that broke the camels back but the lack of compassion at store level was astounding. To add insult to injury the customer complained he didnt get his shopping. If this customer is reading this he may now understand why all the other drivers refused to deliver there again, Thanks mate your a prince.

My second story does not involve stairs but it highlights how people treat us.

I had an accident getting out of the van and actually fractured a bone in my left ankle. At this point I must thank the one person who stopped to help me as I was lying in the road. Thank You, I must also apologise to the many people who were delayed because they had to drive around me. Sorry I didnt mean for my excrutiating pain to cause you any trouble.
After about 15 mins I managed to get myself together enough to crawl to the customers door on my hands and knees and ask them to get their shopping off the van before I drove back to store (the vans are automatic so can be driven with 1 foot) The customers moaned and groaned every inch of the way as they unloaded their 15 Totes of shopping and implied they would be going to Tescos as this was unnacceptable. I hope Tescos appreciated this as once again no ASDA driver was going there again. I accept full responsibility for this accident it was my own fault but I mean to moan and groan like spoilt deprived children is a bit much. on this occasion the store was very supportive of me and I only had to fight them for 2 months to get the 2 weeks pay that they docked.

I really enjoy my job and I do it well but please all you homeshoppers out there spare a thought for the driver now and again, If you live upstairs dont order all your monthy shop in one hit share the load a bit and order twice on seperate days and you will never hear me moan again.

Three more things before I go. Company stair training is you cannot use the sack trucks on stairs, and hold 1 handrail when ascending and descending.
Company policy is “it is at the drivers discretion” in regards to stairs (just so you know)
And shopping is to “the door of the building”

Ps
If someone is in genuine need of help I will carry their shopping anywhere with a smile and indeed will put stuff away in freezers ect if required. I also carry a reasonable amount of shopping upstairs without any issues but I will not carry 100ltrs of various fluids upstairs.

steve says:
21 October 2014

Im a online delivery driver for sainsburys all these people who live in flats with no lifts should try carrying all these totes up the stairs themselfs im sure they think theres is the only delivery we do they should try doing this over 20 times a day.

Chris says:
12 November 2014

I live in a building WITH lifts and ASDA now refuse to deliver to anything other than the flat entrance. Given that this is a list to a courtyard, walk through and another lift with £200 worth of shopping how do they think people can manage this. They have parcel trucks in the van and could do this easily but it’s ‘health and safety’ or more accurately it’s penny pinching so they can fit more deliveries in.

A Driver says:
22 December 2014

Customers should read the t and cs of the online service.

Mine clearly states that delivery is made to the first entrance to the building. Even if thats Communal. The fact that i and my colleagues go further shows we care.

Secondly. The trollies provided are not suitable to take up flights of stairs.

Thirdly the health n saftey of drivers is paramount. Retaining drivers for supermarket delivery is difficult. I Wonder why?

Yes you may want or expect your shopping to your property door. Most drivers would not object if given the time to do this saftely. However giving more time equates to less drops per hour equating to more vans and more drivers. This increases costs that would be passed back to you.

So spare a thought. By working as a team we can keep your costs low. By all means if you need the help i have always gone the extra mile.

Big D says:
8 January 2015

I started as a delivery driver for Asda last year. Two things struck me immediately. They don’t give a stuff about my H&S and neither do the customers.
As long as they don’t get late deliveries nobody cares that you’ve half broken yourself delivering the goods within the absurd specified times. Some customers are lovely (even ones living in flats) most just treat us like dirt.
Some flats stairways are an absolute nightmare. Wet,dark,cold, littered with bikes, prams and needles while carrying 80kg + up four flights while getting moaned at because Asda substituted something.
It’s almost impossible to complete a run within the times without speeding (risking our licences) We drive dirty battered vans to some crazy locations in all weathers (day and night) and then we come across a delivery to a block of flats and we’re given 8 minutes to park up,find the address and deliver the goods.
Please remember my average load is 800kg. Which I had to load onto the van. My average mileage is 160+ and then I’ve delivered the 800kg up and down dale. My pedometer recorded me walking 5 miles before Christmas just carrying groceries to peoples doors and I do this for around £35 per day.
They go through drivers quicker than any other business I’ve ever worked in due to injury, illness or just being plain worn out.
I’ve never had an appraisal, never had any H&S or training other than the boxes we where told to tick and sign on my first day. You do the job until you quit, sign off ill or are sacked due to getting points on your licence.

I’m an Adds driver and agree completely with the last comments.

As for delivering to flats, we have been told to deliver to the communal door and assured that all customers had been informed. Drivers were left to deal with (rightly angry) customers who had always had shopping taken to their door.

I’ve checked several times with customers services and been told the following:

We deliver to the flat’s communal door regardless of wether or not there is a lift or if the customer is disabled, pregnant or elderly. Customers are expected to arrange help if they cannot manage or shop elsewhere. There are no exceptions. If you can’t come downstairs do not order from Asda.

Customers have now been told about this policy by drivers, yet still expect us to deliver upstairs, some even lie about being home with small children or pretend to be disabled not realising that it makes no difference and that we have notes on our systems from other drivers so we know who’s trying it on anyway.

Asda driver says:
3 February 2015

totaly Agree I am a home shopping driver,and the times that they give you for doorstep drops is stupid.i won’t say what big city I work in but it might say give me 10 mins to travel say 2 miles.but in rush hr with traffic lights everywhere it’s impossible.the ors system only calculates the distant but does not take into account traffic.2nd thing is there shud be a limit on wot people can order living in flats.

Bob says:
6 March 2015

Amen.

Antonio says:
31 January 2015

I’ve started working as a grocery delivery driver not long ago and i must say i’ve seriously underestimated the physical aspect of the job, i’ve never appreciated so much my bed and my lovely mattress as i do now 🙂 and boy oh boy i’ve had some hard jobs before.., i also noticed that it’s ONLY people that don’t really need my help that abuse the system, i don’t mind at all going up as many stairs as needed carrying as much weight as needed for an elderly or someone in a wheelchair, but funny enough those people really understand how things works and are very appreciative of the service that I’m providing to then as they couldn’t do it themselves! Today i had a costumer on the 4rd floor and he ordered along with his food, 20 bottles of 5lt of water plus some wine bottles and 48 cans of coke, i could smell benefit money all over his neck, he is half of my age young and fit and he just stood there looking at me like… “i’m a queen, i can’t be bothered to help you with my own shopping, besides you are here to serve me as your are my slave, and an idiot who works and pay your own taxes” , I’ve never felt so much like dirt before, well… i’m glad i’ve just read the terms and conditions of the supermarket that i work for and next time that arrogant muppet won’t keep his hands in his pockets for long… I mean… seriously.. COME ON people! a little bit of common sense goes a long way… i have to load that van by myself (it fits 120 totes) by the time it’s loaded my arms are like mash potato, my manhood twins are sweating down my legs, the lowers discs on my spine are begging for help, and then i start playing a game called “find then bliming addresses and get rid of those totes on time and try not to loose your driving licence” (sometimes up to 7 deliveries schedule in one hour) and all of this on pretty much bare minimum wages and pretending that i’m happy with a big smile on my face, please by all means try to treat others the way you would like to be treated, and next time a delivery driver calls you saying “i’m running a bit late but i’m on my way” instead of thinking “ohhh for gods sake” you really should be thinking about that muppet that couldn’t carry his own 40 liters of water delaying me even more…

annoyed customer says:
2 February 2015

just wanted to put out a warning for anyone ordering from ASDA – they don’t carry the shopping up to your flat anymore. it is buried deep in the terms and conditions on the site but you are not told during the shopping or checkout process. i found out the hard way

Sainsbury Driver says:
13 February 2015

What a lot of people are forgetting here is that the supermarkets are in a massive price war and are constantly looking at costs, having a driver stuck with one customer carting shopping up into a flat just isn’t profitable. We are expected to clear our deliveries in 6 minutes and in urban areas do at least 4 an hour (more often its 6-7 an hour). Throughout the industry the wages are very poor and have only got worse. In the 5 years I have been doing this job I’ve seen wages for new drivers drop for 4 of those years while at the same time new contracts forcing staff (yes we were told sign or be fired) to be available to work from 7 in the morning to 11 at night came in as the economy allowed these massive businesses to squeeze there staff even more or face unemployment. The result of this they can’t recruit drivers willing to go that extra bit for the customer and the existing experienced driver’s get injured or just burn out.

None of this is great for customer service and yes the terms should be a lot clearer. Personally I do try and help people carry there shopping up to the flat if possible and always do so for elderly, disabled or parents with small children, As a result I had a few orders that have had items stolen from them and I’ve picked up a couple of injuries. At the same time I have been sworn at assaulted and had to deal with all manor of rude, Ignorant and selfish customers some of whom seem to think they have a god given right to take out there bad day on you because your not their personal slave to carry 120kg of water to the 4th floor.

I like to see my customers and have been visiting some for them for many years I take personal pride in my work and do my best to ensure that my customers are happy and try to take the time to build a good relationship with them… because keeping my customers keeps me in a job. However I don’t always feel that my employers feel the same. They have there own agenda’s(normally the share price, market share, sales growth or whatever metric is being used to calculate their bonus this year) in the modern work sadly old fashioned customer service is hard to find, mainly because sadly its hard to make money from it especially if your on the first floor or above.

New delivery driver says:
25 February 2015

Hang on everyone!!

Let’s have a little bit of common sense here. If we drivers are told your shopping should be delivered to your door or the door to a communal area that is the end of the argument. If your driver chooses to climb the stairs or assist you the best way he/she can, show him/her some respect and either offer assistance or explain why you cant help them.

When the delivery has been completed acknowledge the extra mile the driver went to. It doesn’t have to be a financial reward – although I am sure we will be pleased to accept it – if we think you can afford it – we can tell that from your totes.

Just try saying “I really appreciate your help with the delivery.” Stop be a whinging sod; the days of us doffing our cap and bowing as we walk backwards has long gone. Mr/Mrs ‘Ignorant’ should realize that the drivers chat to each other and make notes on delivery events. Once you alienate enough drivers from every store you will have to carry your own shopping up the stairs, ‘cos no one else will!!

It hasn’t happened yet but be warned if you are Mr/Mrs Ignorant and swore at me or spoke in a condescending manner as read in articles above, when I was trying to help you, the entire delivery would go back on the van and returned to the store. My word against yours and historical notes will confirm Mr/Mrs Ignorant are probably ignorant/rude and got what they deserved. Oh! and had to get their shopping from the store and carry it up the stairs

Remember good manners costs nothing and go a long way. Bad manners gets you what you deserve!

Bob says:
6 March 2015

You said it bro x

Bob says:
6 March 2015

I am a delivery driver for Asda.
I carry on average 1200kg a day, around 25 drops, before i leave store i must do van checks ( legal requirement ) then i have to drive that van in any weather to get your shopping from store to your adress, on average i get 4 minutes to get your shopping out of my van and up to your top flat, i may have to park halfway down your street, deal with traffic, weather, the odd gang or 2, the lone junkie who thinks he is going to rob my van …..

… the list goes on.

Why dont you get off your lazy fat a*** and help the driver ?
We do our best!
You wont even pay 30 pence to get your shopping in bags … that means 3 trips to your top flat.
I could go on and on but im going on leave on this…
Stop your crying and be thankfull !
ps …. dont ignore your phone the next time your waiting for your order or you wont be getting it.

Richard says:
17 March 2015

This is all very interesting reading. I have to say straight off that I’m neither a delivery driver nor a customer of home delivery shopping. I also do not live in a block of flats.

So you may be asking rightly, what am I doing looking at this thread? To cut a long story short I’m a Corporate Health and Safety Advisor. I started off on some research this afternoon and somehow found myself reading all these posts.

Essentially there are three cogs to this machine. Profit, customer service and the employer’s duty of care. The overriding sense I’m picking up here is that ultimately the employers are not meeting their duty of care to their employees. I wont talk about profit and customer service. These are at the discretion of the business and neither one really has a bearing in the real world, both only affect image and profits. If you receive bad customer service the worst injury anyone is walking away with is hurt feelings or a sense of frustration.

It is the delivery drivers health, safety and wellbeing that are being damaged and the employers have been very clever in a way, as a number of drivers writing on this page seem to aim their frustrations firstly at their customers, either their attitude, their address or their expectations. When in reality the only people this frustration should be aimed at is the employer. It isn’t for the customer to be worried about your health and safety as a driver. They do not employ you, they are imparting their hard earned money for the service and goods that your employer provides. They would assume, be as it may incorrectly, that all foreseeable eventualities and hazards which may be posed to the delivery driver whilst undertaking their duties would have been properly considered and assessed before you turn up at their door. It is the employers concern, and the more the delivery service aims their frustrations at the customers the more the employers are being left off the hook and the longer the situation doesn’t improve for either employee or customer.

Drivers – your employers owe you a duty of care. This is law. now I’m sorry for quoting laws etc, but even if one driver out there picks this up and brings it to their employer’s attention then I’ll feel like I’ve helped a little. By quoting the regulations it may mean your concern is given slightly more consideration than it usually would. Maybe. but who knows. We are talking about supermarket chains who are only a few rungs beneath Pharmaceutical companies and banks as possibly the worst employers on the planet. Anyway, I digress.

The management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999 are very important to this argument. it is here that the requirement to risk assess is placed on the employer. Now this risk assessment has to be SUITABLE and SUFFICIENT. I appreciate these are legal terms that are a little woolly, but in this circumstance it would mean that generic risk assessment is perhaps not sufficient enough when assessing the impact of delivering variable weights to different premises. Now I would bet a substantial amount that all of you drivers may have a risk assessment in place, but it inst suitable or sufficient. it is most likely a generic assessment that covers every delivery driver in the country that works for that employer. An employment tribunal would rule in favour of the employee every time when a risk assessment is not deemed suitable or sufficient. They do not look kindly on employers playing lip service to employees welfare and putting things in place such as a generic assessment to just tick a box or satisfy some internal audit. The risk assessment should only be about protecting their employees against hazards presented by the practices and premises used and frequented by the employee and ensuring these are properly addressed.

The assessment should look at premises to be delivered to. It should be thorough enough that it can differentiate between the risks posed by walking up 5 flight of stairs with two shopping bags filled with crisps as well as considering three flights of stairs with an order that will feed a family of four for a month. Like I said, I’m willing to bet the risk assessment is not suitable and sufficient enough. For instance a control measure may well be that the employer notifies customers (at the point of ordering) that deliveries of a certain weight will not be delivered to a certain floor level. This may well be seen as affecting profits if they post this message prominently, but tough, the legal duty vastly outweighs the CEO’s desire for even more money.

Now I’ve given a very simplistic example above, but there are many more control measures that should be in place, such as regular reviews with management of the driver and delivery routes, training you guys in lifting and handling, regular reviews of the risk assessment itself to ensure it remains suitable and sufficient, supply you with mechanical aids or other devices, looking at the contents of deliveries, reviewing the allotted time per delivery, the amount of rest breaks, whether health surveillance would be appropriate and so on and so on. My point is that drivers, you need to make a stand, you need to start making records (create an audit trail) by noting down what you delivered and when, how long it took, what the weight was, how many deliveries you had in any given day or week that were large or heavy and how long you had to carry it for. Information is power and it is no more true than in the health and safety world. Once you have evidence your case becomes that much stronger. And once you have the information start small. Dont go straight to the top dog at your site. you don’t want to be branded as a crackpot or trouble maker from the start and your cause becomes stronger with every level of management you approach and are then put off by, refused or ignored by. Start with your line manager and a H&S rep if you have one. Notify them that you would like to review the risk assessment for your role and inform them that you have audit trails detailing all the things we discussed above and believe this information will help create a more suitable and sufficient risk assessment which will benefit both the employees and the customers. Guidance on the regulations actually stipulate that the employee should be an integral part of the risk assessment process. Your input should be valuable when assessing the risks faced by you when undertaking duties for your employer. It is no good having somebody completing this assessment who has never been in the job or has no understanding of the day-to-day issues that are faced.

Anyway, when your line manager doesn’t respond or refuses this request, when this occurs (and it probably will), notify (again in writing – its all bout the audit trail) your manager’s manager. and so on. Don’t approach it by threatening the employer. If you approach it from the angle that this is all about the health and safety of staff and ensure you follow the correct internal reporting procedure you will find yourself in a very strong position. Wherever possible, keep all communication on the issue written. Try not to let your management respond to your verbally, get all communication in writing. If they want a meeting then you have every right to bring along a union rep and I would strongly recommend you do.

Ultimately they are not meeting their duty of care. And once you can evidence that you did everything you could to get this issue sorted under the employers current internal procedures and nothing has been addressed then you can put in a grievance and escalate the matter to an employment tribunal where you will receive not only a nice little payout but also will force changes onto your employer.

As you guys may have guessed. I really, really cant stand watching big employers get away with showing their own employees contempt and complete disregard for their welfare. They scare and threaten and in this scenario seem to somehow make the customer seem like the bad guy. It is infuriating to me and I’d love to read about delivery drivers making a stand later this year.

You can do it people. Don’t take it. Stand up for yourselves. Make your employers abide by the law!! I’m not being funny, but the supermarkets can afford to install a lift in every block of flats in the country, so reviewing a risk assessment and putting in sensible measures is not a stretch.

Ray says:
2 April 2015

I’m mega busy but I’m off to buy a set of scales to weigh my deliveries. Oh, and make a note of everything I do on my rounds.

Not going to happen.

Steven aka fed up delivery driver says:
7 April 2015

I can only reiterate what the other delivery drivers have said. As a CDA of 1 year, this job has been an eye opener in many ways. I have worked hard jobs before, armored cable pulling for example but this job in all honesty has to be the hardest graft I have done. It is a brutal assault on your body! I consider myself fit and strong, early 30’s go gym regularly play sports etc but even I cannot cope with the relentless lifting and pulling it takes to carry out the numerous deliveries we have to do daily and weekly. So after 1 year I am looking to bow out as soon as possible while my back is still in working order

That being said the 3rd floor no lift issue basically boils down to weight and too much of it. Too many customers are ordering extraordinary amounts of shopping namely 6 pack water bottles and expect benson down there to haul it all up the stairs for them, they know its heavy and know it’s too heavy for themselves so get delivery scum to do it for them. I know a lot of people want to play the disabled card but we do the deliveries the majority of you are able bodied. The few disabled, old age or pregnant (pregnant doesn’t mean invalid) customers we deliver too, we as in most drivers are completely happy to bring the shopping to your kitchen help you unpack and store it in the fridge for you even if it means we are late on our run!

If I could paint a picture. The average delivery run can have as much as 500kgs+ of shopping, if you are working in a residential area, where the majority of houses are town houses, you can also bet the majority will be the top floor flat, each delivery is 50kgs worth of shopping, doesn’t sound like much does it! Factor in taking it off the van, karting it up the first set of stairs unloading then 2 trips up the 3 flights of narrow stairs to waiting customer! Fine that’s one delivery now times that by 10 and you can see where some drivers give you aggro! Back to the depot for a break and off you go again like an indestructible robot, not a human being who gets tried after hauling half a ton of shopping through the finest new build flat.

“Well get another job some say”, and that is a pertinent and valid point. The reality is the Superstores don’t give a monkeys about their drivers, as long as you do the deliveries on time, with out asking questions. Most of the stores have a massive turnover of drivers as many simply leave, I have heard stories of drivers quitting on the same day! Many get injured or simply burn out from the work load The thing is the stores have factored this in and have a continuous recruitment drive, mixed in with agency staff. You really are just the donkey pulling the cart. So you can tell there’s not a lot of pride in the work. I personally took the job as a stopgap between my main career, as I am over qualified for this job and even my job centre adviser advised me against applying for this type of work, but alas I wanted to work instead of sit on the dole! The union is not worth the paper you signed up for and as far as I know has done nothing of benefit for specifically it’s delivery drivers!

“We paid for the delivery to our door so delivery it” some say! Well we see the receipts and most are £1-4 some free delivery charges! Hardly covering the cost of petrol, and loading unloading etc. Not sure how sustainable this model is! Wasn’t there a BBC documentary which said the stores are losing money on every delivery??

I know I am digressing here but the point I am trying to make is that, when working for a firm which doesn’t really give s*** about you, delivering to customers who show no empathy or common courtesy to you, for low barely above minimum wage pay, then I cannot blame many drivers for looking out for number 1.

My solution would be a 40kg limit to all shopping above 1st floor no lift. Make those slots £1.

Snon776 says:
30 July 2015

If its like this for me I am leaving in my first week

Ger lynch says:
19 April 2015

Totally agree with you, the same thing has just happened to us we bought a American fridge just to be told by Kowhow they couldn’t take it up 16 steps I know the fridge is big so why is currys selling something they can’t deliver to a flat.Its so annoying when I did my homework by asking all the important question before buying and to be told no problem once its not 5 floors .I personlely think Knowhow need to know how to deliver just get extra strong men and for currys very disappointed with the outcome I now have to do all the phoning to get answers that’s when they answer their phone.

Worriedfutureman says:
4 June 2015

I came accross this topic as I’ve got an interview for a deliver driver job for Sainsbury’s for my local branch.

I value hearing from the people that have actually done the job as I wanted to know what I’m letting myself in for.

Suffice to say, I don’t think I could do it.

Timmy45 says:
28 June 2015

Hi people I am a delivery driver for Sainsburys…Our delivery times have just been reduced to 5mins per drop….if we encounter bad properties then that can be increased but then are reset to 5mins every month…as a person who has a lot of empathy to other people I try to always climb stairs, deliver in situations that i am told not too because I care!.. I take shopping into people kitchens and evn have packed it away into cupboards.I regulary miss my breaks ( If I have a crash then it would be me to blame) and if I return late too store I do not get paid passed my agreed hours!…Many people I deliver too are quiet happy to let me stand in the rain, snow and other extreem weather while they will carry two bags of shopping at a time into thier kitchen (possably having 20 or more to carry) while I stand and drown or freeze…Yes it is the supermarkets fault but how much do you actually pay for delivery???? Lots of times its free and at its dearet in our case 3.99 try getting a taxi driver to do what you request from us for that price…Most drivers are on short hour contracts 16 hours! have to work weekends and late nights (uptill 11 pm) can not plan a life as the days that you work change every week…Having said all of this most of the guys I work with love helping people and going that extra mile…maybe some off you should put yourselfes in our shoes..Also it would be great if you could maybe stop giving your addresses as an example THE COTTAGE…..East Boldon….If you could not find it (if you did not live there) how the hell are we going to find it???????

Snon776 says:
30 July 2015

So I’m to be a delivery driver soon. At my company they say we should not delivery over first floor of stairs which I agree with, especially with those who live in flats with no working lift. However, if the customer has a disability, is pregnant or for a valid reason can’t help then I am fine with bringing the shopping up. My only issue is that this should be noted on the delivery slip somewhere so we are fully aware. I may be starting out but am not willing to damage my back because someone is genuinely lazy, otherwise I am.

graham says:
24 December 2015

Have read all the comments think you should all ask has the supermarket done enough already by shopping loading and delivering. If you live in a flat come get your food or starve only ocado will bring it up for certain. As for elderly and disabled quite frankly it ain’t the driver’s fault you either get your shopping from downstairs or go out in the car and do the whole lot yourself ha

Power says:
16 January 2016

I am a delivery driver and we are told if going upstairs you must have a free hand to be able to hold on to the handrail
Not many parcels are that small nowadays to be able to carry with 1 hand though

surely a carrying strap so you can just use one hand would solve that problem, unless the package was very heavy?
However this simply seems to erode personal initiative. Does everyone only carry something upstairs if they have one hand free?

John says:
1 February 2016

All said and done this is a very physically demanding job,it’s nice to be able to work out and about but you pay dearly for that in other areas,people are getting fatter and lazier hence the growth of online food shopping and the current obesity crisis,I worked in warehouses for 8 years and that was a doddle compared to some drops I do now,most customers are ok but some are literally scum,I’m seriously looking at quitting this sector before my knees and back give up! In my experience the elderly and disabled are lovely and I always help them,it’s the lazy scum who moan it’s not on there kitchen table that p**s me off,why don’t you fk off down the shop and let me help people that appreciate it?

I was asked by an asda driver to bring my shopping up to the 2nd floor because he had a disability and was scared to hurt himself but he was on his own and I cant lift anything at the moment I said no and he stood for 10 minutes giving me a real taking to I felt very uncomfortable and paid for that