/ Scams

Scam alert: fake ‘Consumers Association’ gift card email

Comments

email today from DVLA informing me that i am due a rebate as i have overpaid on my car tax. i deleted it.

I have had a scam on games and it says £1 for six days and if you don’t cancel it cost £17,99,per month,but I never even seen this I am nearly 80 years old partially sighted ,lost my husband in 2020 ,but my problems is the banks I have had a problem getting bank statements l phone every month and it can be months on coming not everyone is computer clever they keep saying get on line banking well I can hardly see small print so on line BANKING is out ,but I was scammed for £120 pounds ,but I went on line with the help of a friend and spoke to a super lady from the fraud office of tsb ,and she helped me out ,but pensioners don’t know if they have been scammed because they are not getting bank statements. It Is the only way some pensioners can keep track of there money ,why has the banks stopped sending statements.

Hello Agnes, my name is Chris. You can get monthly statements on paper through the post from the bank, all you have to do is get through to the bank (I know that can be difficult) and ask them. I believe you can tell them what date every month it is to be sent on, I have chosen dates that are about three days after all the big monthly bills have been paid.
I’ve heard that there is sometimes a small charge for this, but in your case I would imagine that it will be worth it. I don’t pay any charge for paper statements from NatWest, Barclays, or MBNA, but I don’t have a TSB account so cannot comment on their policies.

You need to either phone your bank and ask them to return you to paper statements or login to your bank and select to return you to paper statements

Glasgow
I received a phone call today from mobile number 07811 719663 informing my that my National Insurance Number had been compromised !!!!! If you call this number back, there is no contact.

Edmund Jones says:
12 January 2021

I don’t like returning unknown calls as it may be a high premium charge return call scam.

I don’t know about other email accounts but my Mozilla Thunderbird displays as the first line of the technical details who sent the email, subject, to, date etc. I frequently get scam emails from the Inland Revenue, British Gas and others which clearly are not from these concerns because I can see that their name is not in the From line

I have my email account set up to automatically sort emails into relevant folders according to the domain (part after @) that the email comes from. If an email supposedly from my bank doesn’t go into the Banking folder, I am immediately suspicious of that email. Unfortunately some organisations have a bad habit of creating new sub-domains for different departments. For example instead of using accounts@mybank.com which is clearly from My Bank and gets sorted accordingly they use name@accounts.mybank.com which doesn’t get sorted. In fact using a variant of a genuine email address in this way is one of the scammers’ common tricks, which is why I am very suspicious of emails using this type of address.

Been using Thunderbird for years. Good email client

Email from (supposedly) Royal Mail saying that they are holding a parcel for me but I need to pay £2.95 as there was not enough postage on it.
definitely a scam, as a) I was not expecting any parcels and b) when I lingered the mouse the sender was in Holland and certainly not Royal Mail.

Jim Fraser says:
15 January 2021

I have just received an email purporting to be from Estra Information Group on behalf of PETA UK. On searching that address I see that the underlying address is mail@newshowdeck.co.uk.

This email is asking for donations to help stop the cruelty to animals (mainly dogs) in China. I suspect it is a scam but I would be grateful if it could be confirmed either way.

Jim.

[Moderator: this website appears to be a scam website. We’ve retained the URL to help you identify it, but we’ve redirected the link to our guidance on how to spot fraudulent website. ]

JanJan says:
19 August 2021

I have had an e-mail from DVLA saying that my payment to tax my car has been cancelled twice and they have because of this my car no w untaxed, problem with this I can not drive and I do not own a car .

That’s a fairly regular scam, JanJan – we’ve covered it in more depth here: https://conversation.which.co.uk/motoring/dvla-scams-fraud-warning-rise/

You can stop emails from direct marketing companies by registering your email address with the direct marketing association email preferences service. This will reduce the emails and any you do get are more likely to be scams. Another good idea is to have an email address for family and friends, a seperate one for companies you buy from, and one that you use to login to websites that you are not going to buy from. If you then get an email to your website login email address showing its from your bank etc you know its a scam.

There must be easier ways to avoid getting scam and nuisance e-mails because I don’t receive more than two or three a year and those are from oddballs who acquired my e-mail address many years ago. They are now blocked. Same with nuisance phone calls – we just don’t get them.

Pearl Jackson says:
25 February 2021

Within the last week I have had a call on my mobile phone telling me unless I don’t press 1 on my phone and get connected to them I will be arrested shortly, they did not say what I had done to be arrested! I’ve had quite a few of these calls previously. Then I had a call on my home phone telling my someone has used my Amazon account up to the value of £3000 and they wanted me to ring them. I do not have an Amazon account that I have used in years! I also had a text a couple of days ago that was sent with a warning it may be spam, supposedly from Hermes telling me they were sorry the they were unable to deliver my parcel and wanted me to call a number. I know the lady who delivers our parcels from Hermes, she leaves them in a safe place and I was not waiting for a delivery! My friend who is a very on the ball 83 year old gets lots of scam calls, always on his home phone, but he does have a mobile, and a lot of his calls are telling him his internet will be cut off ect ect, he finds it very funny as he has no internet and never will have. A few years ago my sister fell for the one where they call you and tell you they have to take over your computer as there is a problem, but she suddenly realized what she’d done and called my son in IT and he managed to help her from losing everything! I have not heard of this one for a while now, perhaps we are all too aware of it now?

I have received emails appearing to be from Which offering a “Scam Protection Toolkit” but sent via bounce.bluestatedigital.com which makes me think it is a scam.

Happy to confirm that email is legitimate and from Which?, Ivan (Blue State Digital is one of the email services we use).

If you ever need it, there’s guidance on how to tell what a legitimate Which? email looks like here: https://www.which.co.uk/help/faqs#comms

Keith L says:
6 May 2021

I have now received three emails over the last few weeks from Which “scam alert service” which appears at first glance to be perfectly legitimate and well constructed, using which? logos and useful information. I am signed up to receive information from Which? in this regard. However, there are numerous links within the email that link to a web address through “www.e-activist.com” which is worrying as I am unsure if this is Which? or not. There is even a link to report emails that may be a scam, which shows as also going to an e-activist address. I haven’t clicked on any of the links out of an abundance of caution. If I am right to have been cautious, what worries me is that many will not have, it is very convincing indeed. Also, if it is a scam in itself, how the hell did they get my email address and know I was subscribed to the service? It makes me wonder if Which? themselves have been compromised. Hopefully someone will quickly tell me e-activist.com is legitimate and Which? is linked to this web address…

Hi Keith, I have the same emails addressed to me by name.

I agree with you that at first glance they look legitimate until you look at the links. They certainly don’t appear to have come from Which? who should be setting a good example as they are alerting us to scams and scam behaviour.

The change of email to act.which.co.uk should also be treated as a warning. Couldn’t anyone set up an email address ending @ImAscammer.which.co.uk ?

The sign up here also goes to the e-activist site so another warning that the email is fake.

What is more concerning to me is the link to ‘Five warning signs’ that Kaspersky doesn’t rate as safe (grey icon)

A cut-down version of the email:

Is this a test to see if we are on the ball?

Keep getting phishing emails regarding McAfee subscription being cancelled. Some of the emails really look like McAfee logo etc. When first got this went to my account via Google to check if subscription was actually cancelled: and it wasn’t, so knew this was scam. Just be careful so realistic

We’d love to see one of these emails, Anne. If you haven’t already gotten rid of them, could you forward to us at conversation.comments@which.co.uk?

This is theft – pure and simple. 200 years ago we convicted thieves and sent them off on a convict ship to Australia or one of the other colonies for sealing a loaf of bread. Now it’s open season for the poor little dears and they are patted on their backs for showing initiative – barmy!

I received 2 emails purporting to be from PayPal saying there was suspicious activity on my account. There was a link to go to my account to check my details.

Why not advise everyone never to respond to cold calls, emails or texts.

If you think there’s an issue with your bank, DVLA or whatever, just call them directly on the number in your phone book.

All this “take 5” stuff is misleading.

All texts about courier deliveries needing payment, banks saying you’ve been compromised are all criminal.

Just call and answer calls from people you know and importantly get caller display.

Larry Roberts says:
19 August 2021

Crikey, it’s getting so hard to tell a scam from the ‘real’ thing, and it’s not just e mails it’s also phone calls ‘Is it it really BT or is it a scam’ for example. I had a genuine call from a BT employee who went to great lengths to get me to identify myself, then I said to her now I want you to identify yourself because I can’t be sure this is not a scam call to get information from me. She was suprised by that response!. I’ve lost count of the number of calls I’ve had from ‘Microsoft’, but I believe you have to contact Microsoft first before they (usually) e mail you and give you an incident number (so that you know it’s them when they do contact you)!.

Received so many it’s hard to keep track, but DVLA is always popping up!

Jacqueline Norman says:
19 August 2021

I was told that I was about to be arrested for tax evasion from inland revenue
I told them to get off of my phone and that they were a scam, they argued with me but I put the phone down. This is well over a week ago not heard from them and I’ve not been arrested

The amount of times I have had that call I should be doing life

I frequently receive emails with an authentic BT Heading informing me that the Terms and Conditions for my BT Email account have changed and that I should Verify my details. The email indicates that it has come from the ‘BT Community Team. I ignore it.

Jeremy Travis says:
19 August 2021

I got a text on my mobile whatsapp saying hello my name is Jenifer. I blocked it and reported it.

ROY HUMBY says:
19 August 2021

Suspect an Email isn’t from who it says- either touch the senders address or hover the curser over it, you’ll see from where the email actually originated.

Actually no. What that will show you is where a “reply” will attempt to be sent. That field can be – and often is – a fake.