/ Scams

Scam alert: fake DPD ‘missing address’ emails

DPD is the latest delivery company being impersonated by fraudsters trying to get their hands on your personal information – have you received this fake email?

As people are expecting more parcels at this time of year, scammers know there’s a chance many of us might be more likely to hand over information or payment in return for a package that’s waiting to be delivered.

This email looks like it’s from courier company DPD, but it’s fake. It’s a phishing attempt, aiming to steal valuable details.

Spotting a DPD phishing email

The link takes the recipient of the email to a page that requests more personal information. There are two classic giveaways that this email isn’t real.

Firstly, when we clicked on the sender’s email address, it wasn’t from a DPD email address, but from ‘@telenet.be.’

Secondly, there is the spelling mistake in the email’s title. ‘Reassing’ isn’t a word, and probably a misspelling of ‘reassessing.’ An official DPD email shouldn’t contain basic mistakes like this.

A few similar phishing emails have been circulating for some time, including ones that claim to be from the Royal Mail and courier firm DHL. All of them try to trick you into giving away payment or personal details.

A spokesperson for DPD told us:

We are aware that there have been a number of fake DPD emails trying to get consumers to send money for parcels to be re-directed or re-delivered. We would never do this nor would we ask consumers to give us their bank details.

There is an easy way to check the email is safe, only emails sent from one of three DPD email addresses are genuine, these are dpd.co.ukdpdlocal.co.uk or dpdgroup.co.uk.

Fake or scam emails are nearly always sent from a private email address and certainly not from an official DPD one.

Consumers should always check the sender’s email address and check the message has come from a valid DPD address i.e. dpd.co.ukdpdlocal.co.uk or dpdgroup.co.uk

Any other sender email address, especially if the email is asking for money is highly likely to be a scam email.

We would encourage anyone who has received a fake email to report it to report@phishing.gov.uk.

Guide: how to spot a scam email

Dealing with scam emails

If you’re not 100% sure whether an email is really from a courier because you’re expecting a delivery, see if you can check the reference or tracking number and whether it matches the order you’re waiting for.

You can also contact the delivery company directly to check whether the email is real.

If you have given away any personal details after receiving a message like this, let your bank know immediately, and also keep an eye out for any unusual bills or accounts that might have been set up in your name. One way to do this is by regularly checking your credit file.

Guide: getting your money back after a scam

Once you’ve let your bank know, it should watch your account for fraudulent activity or can give you new card or account details altogether.

Have you received this fake DPD email? Have you experienced phishing attempts for other courier companies?

Comments

I know a fair few people who have got this same message. It was actually after they had just ordered something. Would be interesting to know how they are obtaining this information

Linda Seigies says:
19 December 2020

Hi I was foolish enough to get caught by this scam and as you said I was waiting for a parcel on the day I received the scam email
Coincidence mmmm personal info invasion
I wonder
Card details used in Scotland other end of the country from me
Be very careful everyone !!!!

At this time of year, there’s a fairly high chance that out of a large number of emails sent to every address on a list, some of them will hit the jackpot and be received by someone expecting a parcel.

I had a bouquet of flowers ordered for sending to a friend early in December. Yes I got the DPD email but luckily didn’t believe it – |I think it was a spelling mistake I saw which alerted me that it was a scam, and immediately deleted it!

sallieanne Hickman says:
23 December 2020

This has been happening for sometime. We got a call from someone pretending to be from a phone company after purchasing a phone..it was a phishing scam… Guess it is likely to be somebody involved in the sales team…

Advice on what to do if you miss a delivery from DPD can be found on this page: https://www.dpdlocal.co.uk/content/how-can-we-help/help.jsp

Yes, I got the false email purporting to come from DPD. Like many at this time of the year, we are expecting parcels. Also Couriers sometimes do have a problem locating our house.
I entered c/card details, but got suspicious when the bank details came up and requested my mother’s maiden name. No way Jose. I immediately froze the credit card, and left it that way for a week. So far OK.

Erick Weston says:
21 December 2020

I’m frankly amazed that some people still can’t spot phishing, we are well informed on the issue by our banks, newpapers, Which?, friends and family. Yes, some are very convincing, but every email you receive should be verified before you go anywhere near an embeded link. The funny one for me is Paypall, I get regular messages teling me they will delete my account if i dont give them details…. I dont have a paypall account! Thanks to Which? I started using a password vault (I pay for premium use) and encourage all my friends and family not to allow their web browsers to ‘remember’ their passwords.

bob bennet says:
23 December 2020

To minimise confusion, Paypal only has one ‘L’. Many moons ago, I registered a domain name paypa1….. and was surprised to see that PayPal themselves hadn’t registered any names that could be used to defraud people. I’ve recently tested and found http://www.paypa1.com does divert to paypal.com, so they’ve caught up a bit!

Shirley Pritchard says:
22 December 2020

I didn’t even click on anything in the DPD scam email just opened it then deleted it. 30 minutes later my email account was hacked and a new address was entered as an automatic forwarding for all my emails.
I’d just been ordering online from John Lewis, and the name which my email address had been changed to was johnlewis etc! Just a coincidence!
I was told by my email provider never to even open these emails but delete them straightaway and block the address.

yvonne beech says:
23 December 2020

Yes … easier said than done when one doesn’t think about being scammed in the first place. Sad old world these days.

Mike A says:
23 December 2020

Hi, The DPD scam you describe was sent to my personal email address which DPD did not have. My wife had sent me a copy of the original DPD planned delivery. But the scammers never had my address until I replied from it to change the neighbour’s address for delivery. It was only after that I started getting the phishing emails……..regards Mike

I’ve been the recipient of both types of these emails over the past couple of weeks. I would get 144 at a time. It was blocking my inbox when I wanted to get on to read my real emails. Fortunately I knew it must be a scam so never opened any but it gave me hand ache trying to delete them all. I’m not that computer literate but was able to report it to Microsoft as a phishing scam so that they could put a block on these senders and report it. Thankfully now all is well.

Keith Young says:
23 December 2020

Mr Weston should be very careful before passing judgement on others who unfortunately fall victim to increasingly sophisticated scams.

However, if we, as online customers are expecting deliveries, we will assume an email from one of the courier companies is related & may have important information for us.
Therefore, surely it is not practical to delete without first opening?
How to stop email accounts being hacked?

Yes, I too received a similar fake DPD email.
Yes, I was expecting parcel deliveries.
However, the email I received stated I had missed 2 deliveries, & therefore would be charged for a third attempt.
This gave me time to pause & think – for I had not been away from my home, not for one minute.
So, I then went to the genuine DPD site & saw a warning message on their home page.
Forwarded the fake to the email address given.
Deleted the one in my email box, of course.

Got this email message and forwarded it to report@phishing.gov.uk.

I had a scam email. I forwarded it to the phishing government site then deleted. As you say it came from a personal email address. It said Microsoft will close your account unless you do this.

Got this suspect DPD email and forwarded to… report@phishing.gov.uk.

Faith H says:
23 December 2020

Unfortunately, basic spelling mistakes aren’t necessarily a good indicator. I recently changed my electricity supplier and received an e-mail from the new company that said: “Good news – we’re now SUPPLING your home with energy” – my capitals!

Pat Churchill says:
23 December 2020

I’ve had two emails from DPD, I wasn’t expecting a parcel and fortunately realised it was probably a scam.
I forwarded the 2nd email to the government website re phishing scams.
It’s scary but we have to try and be vigilant.

The scam email has address dpd.co.uk as sender however when click on address comes up with another email so care needs be taken

I have recently received a large number of emails, allegedly from McAfee and from Norton stating that my license had expired or about to expire. When I go to the header where it came from and then tap to find the email address behind it, it’s usually one made up of about a dozen letters before the website @ and a foreign website. I block this address and then delete the email. How have these hackers got my email address? Is it something I have done?

Victor Markham says:
23 December 2020

I have had qwuite a few messages saying I had won an iPad (and other mobile phones) and asked me to pay £1.00 postage. The first one came about a questionnaire on Map My Walk web site. This sounded real enought because I was on the site looking at a walking route I had done. I paid the postage but oddly it went to another phone this one was for a Samsung type and again asked for £1.00 postage. Once I had filled in the details it went to yet another offer again asking for £1.00 postage. It asked me to log in using my passcode. It asked this twice. I then realised it was gathering my passcode details. doing it twice gatherd all the details. I then went to my bank and changed the log in details to prevent them from accessing my account. That was a wake up call. I have since had similar postings mainly through my Samsung phone which made it look like it was from Samsung. There have been other instances, e.g. from Curry’s, which would be too long to post her

i have had 3 of them just keep getting them but not answaring to it

I received a scam e-mail supposedly from the Post Office saying they had tried to deliver a parcel but they got no reply so they have returned it back to the depot and would I fill in the details on the form and send it through with payment for return so stupidly I did put my details in nearly, except when they asked for my bank I got suspicious so I told my daughter and she asked me if they had put a card through the letter box and I said no so she immediately got through to the bank and stopped my card and the bank sent out a new one, I was so lucky my bank account could have gone if I had not shown it to my daughter in time.

Paul Dickinson says:
23 December 2020

I would be helpful if Which could explain in lay terms the click to verify a hidden email address. I seem to manage that after a fashion but have friends/relations who are fearful of email that possibly might, or possibly might not, be a scam.