/ Money

Scam warning: fake Halifax SMS text

SMS scams, commonly known as ‘smishing’ have been around for a while, but it looks like they’re getting more sophisticated. Have you received one like this?

12/10/2020: Fake Halifax texts increase

We’ve noticed a sharp rise in the number of people reporting fake Halifax SMS texts to us in the last few weeks. Here’s a new example:

Following the link will take you through to a fake website which will attempt to steal your username and password:

If you receive a suspicious text message from Halifax, forward it to its fraud team on security@halifax.co.uk

Not sure if the message is genuine? Contact Halifax via its official channels.

And, if you do think you may have given sensitive information to scammers, let the bank know immediately.

17/07/2019: Fake SMS warning

I’m not a Halifax customer, but when I woke up and saw this text one morning the other week I did have to stop and think about my accounts for a second – what’s going on here?

It is, of course, a scam SMS, but it’s one that can grab your attention, and one definitely worth warning others about.

We’ve covered these ‘smishing’ scams before – most recently last year with examples purporting to be from Santander, Natwest, and another from Halifax.

But in none of the examples from our story was a name used to really grab your attention. That’s what makes this one stand out and, in my opinion, pose more of a threat to vulnerable people.

These smishing texts are designed to convince you to hand over your personal details, pay money or download a virus.

We’ve made Halifax aware of this scam SMS. We’ll be publishing its response here as soon as we receive it.

How to deal with scam text messages

The personal data aspect to this one, however small, is a concern, but I’m not overly worried about how this information was accessed.

After all, my full name is out there online on a variety of different platforms, including this one! But the way in which it’s been tied to my personal phone number and used in a scam attempt is slightly more disconcerting.

If the same attempt had landed with a more vulnerable person with a Halifax account, a scam like this could well prove successful.

You should always be wary of unsolicited texts. If you’re not sure, get in contact with your bank via the genuine means of contact on its official website – do not respond to the SMS itself if you’re having any doubts.

Tips on how to spot a scam and reporting one are also available on our Consumer Rights pages.

Have you received a scam text like this containing your name? Did it purport to be from Halifax, or was the name of another bank used?

Comments

I got a variant on this one 3 days ago. Allegedly from Halifax, the scammers didn’t even bother putting the name Halifax in the scam URL… and I’ve never had any dealings with the real Halifax before 😉

Straight in the bin.

I received a similar scam texts allegedly from HMRC , Halifax , Lloyds etc..
Not sure if you familiar with https://who-called.co.uk/
They have added a new section with really useful & clean real-time reports: https://who-called.co.uk/realtime-report/ It’s worth following!

Derek Fergusson says:
19 November 2020

Had a text saying new device had been paired onto my Halifax account click on a link (don’t click on the link or ring text number). Interesting I don’t even have a account with Halifax. Sent screen shot details to Halifax security email.

Philip Bramhill says:
22 November 2020

same message as Derek, Halifax account dormant for 6 years.

Got this scam text today. Beware! Do NOT enter your details into the page this links to.

ALERT HALIFAX: There has been an unusual login attempt on the 23/11 at 12:36PM If this WASN’T you, visit http://www.halifax-securityteam.com

[Moderator: the link shared above appears to be to a scam or fraudulent website. We’ve kept the text of the website to help you identify it, however clicking on the link will redirect you to our advice on spotting such websites. Please use caution when browsing, especially should the website ask you for payment or other personal details]

Got one, reported to halifax and told the text messenger so. Text me back wit ha threat to watch my back. Nasty criminals using fake websites

Received a text stating that a new payee had been added and if this was not done by me to go to authorisemypayee.com which was a link in the text, probably to a scam site of a different name. Same approach as always – don’t click the link!

Reporter says:
26 November 2020

I got this SMSon my mobile HALIFAX:A transaction was attempted from a new device. If this was not you, cancel this immediately by visiting: https://verify-mydevice.live

I reported the number +44 7960621678 to Halifax on another phone.

Eddie says:
3 December 2020

I had similar text just now.
Text read “Halifax: A payee has been added to your online banking. If this wasn’t you visit https://deregisternewdevice-alert.com
Clearly a scam.

[Moderator: this website looks to be a fake or fraudulent website. We’ve retained the text of the URL to help you identify it, however the link redirects to our guidance on spotting a fake or fraudulent website. Remember to use caution when browsing, especially when giving out payment details or other personal information.]

S Hughes says:
26 November 2020

Received text Halifax confirmation A new payee (Mrs A Marshall) was set up via the Halifax mobile banking app on 19:19 26/11/20 if this was not you visit: https:/./.Halifax-payee-sec.com

I received a text message this morning from Halifax on a personal number so I knew it was fake they didn’t put my name on it they said a new payee had been added to my account and if it was not me to click on below I didn’t do that I reported it and sent a picture of the fake text it’s wrong people do this I’ve been receiving a lot of fake texts every few weeks to banks I don’t have accounts with so I know there fake

Sarah says:
28 November 2020

I’ve just had a text today supposedly from Halifax (who I don’t bank with) saying my request to pay Mr A Adams was successful but if not recognised to click on a link to verify. Have forwarded to Halifax fraud team.

Linda says:
1 December 2020

I’ve just had the same text, also forwarded to Halifax fraud team

New variation…from Halifax saying they need to verify money they have received from my current account (which is not with Halifax). I sent a copy to Halifax’s security dept, as they request on their website, and it bounced back saying Halifax’s server was full! Hopefully that will at least encourage them to track these *** down!

Donna says:
7 December 2020

Had same problem with Halifax and Lloyds, I don’t bank with them and cannot find any email addresses to forward messages

Clare says:
8 December 2020

I just received a text message which says “HALIFAX ALERT: successfully paired NEW DEVICE to your mobile banking. Was NOT made by you? Urgently remove device via: https://ukhalifax.deviceactivity-hplcom” – anyone come across this one in the last few days?

Hi Claire, I’ve seen similar scam texts and, on safe PC’s, I’ve navigated a few of them to fake Halifax websites. Over time, these web links keep changing, as the authorities close down the fake sites and the scammers start new ones up.

Charles Oppenheim says:
12 December 2020

Yes, received one today saying “A new device has successfully linked to your account….” asking me to go https://halifax.authorise-payee.link if I wanted to cancel it. Ignored the text.

[Moderator: the link shared by Charles appears to be a fake or fraudulent website. We’ve retained the text of the URL so you can spot it in the future, however if you click on it, you’ll be directed to our guidance on spotting a fake or fraudulent website. Remember to always use caution when you browse, and be sure that the site is genuine before you give any personal or payment details]

Barry Cowley says:
10 December 2020

‘SCAM’ ? text reads – HALIFAX: A new device has successfully linked to your account on 09/12 at 21:40pm if you DO NOT authorise please visit: https://halifax.devicesdetected.com
phone number +44 7497 929472

[Moderator: the link shared in this comment appears to be a fake or fraudulent website. We’ve retained the text to help you identify it, however clicking on it will point to our guide to spotting fake or fraudulent websites. Use caution when browsing, particularly when you’re asked to hand over payment details or other personal information]

Steve says:
10 December 2020

Just got one about a direct debit though i have never banked with Halifax. The worrying part is that it included my surname in the text to make it look more genuine, so now I’m wondering who has had a data breach to get my surname and phone number.

Yesterday (10 Dec 2020) received an SMS from HALIFAX (+447310 578052)

Text reads
Your account was paired to your mobile app on 10/12 at 19:44. If this was NOT you visit the link below otherwise ignore this message. (https://halifaxapp.com)

[Moderator: the link shared by Dave appears to be a fake or fraudulent website. We’ve retained the text of the URL so you can spot it in the future, however if you click on it, you’ll be directed to our guidance on spotting a fake or fraudulent website. Remember to always use caution when you browse, and be sure that the site is genuine before you give any personal or payment details]

Janet says:
16 December 2020

I just got a text message from Lloyds Bank?? Saying a device has paired with mine! If it’s not me then I should click on the link given?
Deffo a scammer

Confused says:
17 December 2020

Received this evening the following text out of the blue from 07939 393717

HALIFAX: A new device has successfully linked to your account 17/12 at 19:58pm If you DO NOT authorise please visit: https://halifax.addpayee.online

The url to which one is pointed looks genuine, which is very concerning.

[Moderator: the link shared by Confused appears to be a fake or fraudulent website. We’ve retained the text of the URL so you can spot it in the future, however if you click on it, you’ll be directed to our guidance on spotting a fake or fraudulent website. Remember to always use caution when you browse, and be sure that the site is genuine before you give any personal or payment details]

Sally-Ann Liddell says:
30 December 2020

Just received a scam one from 07909008930…….about a new device paired. I don’t have a Halifax account. Shows a link to: halifax.bankingonlineregister.co.uk

Ruth says:
2 January 2021

I always check my security without clicking in these links. In addition I’ve received texts from Lloyd’s and Thames water even though I don’t have any accounts with them at all.
Annoying really all of it – just more numbers to block.