/ Money

Scam warning: fake Clarks Shoes websites

We’ve been made aware of fake adverts for Clarks Shoes circulating on Facebook. Here’s what you need to keep an eye out for to avoid being scammed.

Update: 15/06/2020

Despite our warnings, these fake Clarks adverts keep popping up on Facebook.

We continue to report them and, fortunately, we’ve been able to get Facebook to block another scam site from its platform. A spokesperson told us:

“Fraudulent activity is not tolerated on our platforms and we have blocked this website. We urge people to continue to report any suspicious posts or ads to us.

To help with this, we have created a dedicated Facebook scam ads reporting tool in the UK so people can directly report scams as soon as they see them. We have also donated £3 million to Citizens’ Advice to help consumers avoid scams”

We’ll continue to monitor fake adverts appearing on Facebook, and report them as soon as we spot them.

Fake Clarks adverts: 04/03/2020

Thanks to a previous Which? Conversation regarding fake adverts for luxury shoe shop Russell & Bromley, we’ve been made aware of similar Facebook adverts for Clarks Shoes that have unfortunately found a number of victims.

Concerned by the reports we were seeing here on Which? Conversation, we put the word out on Facebook itself to gather further evidence:

Help wanted: we've been made aware of fake adverts for Clarks Shoes appearing on Facebook. Have you seen this scam? Do you have a screenshot? If so, get in touch in the comments.

Posted by Which? on Wednesday, February 12, 2020

In the comments we found others familiar with Anthea’s experience – they’d bizarrely received a fake scarf instead:

We made Clarks aware of these dodgy adverts and websites. A Clarks spokesperson said:

At Clarks, we take the reliability of our online presence and the safeguarding of our customers extremely seriously. We were made aware of several fake sites by our brand protection partner Safenames at the end of January and acted immediately to get them taken down.

Any customers with concerns relating to any of these sites should get in touch with our customer care team for support.

When choosing to shop online, we recommend always checking for the official domain authority before completing your purchase, which is clarks.co.uk for all our UK-based customers”

We’re pleased that Clarks has taken action to get these sites removed.

Facebook has previously told us that it takes action to stop fraud ‘wherever it appears’ and is investing in new tools for reporting scam ads.

Last year, we called on it to do more as fradulent ads continued to appear.

Social media advertising

The scammers know that people will have grown accustomed to seeing genuine adverts on social media platforms – they look to exploit that credibility by posing as well-known brands and celebrities that may have already gained your trust.

If you see an account you don’t recognise advertising a brand you do – treat it with suspicion.

Research is essential before you make a purchase; check the URL of the page it’s taking you to, Google the names of stores or offers you don’t recognise and, if you’re still not sure, reach out to a brand directly via its official channels to verify any adverts or offers you’ve seen.

If you’re worried you’ve been scammed by adverts like this, let your bank know what’s happened immediately and read our guide to getting your money back.

Have you seen suspicious adverts for brands such as Clarks? If so, let us know who’s being impersonated in the comments so we can help warn others.

Comments

I always look for ads that use Paypal, I don’t need to give card details and have Paypal cover for my purchase. If it isn’t Paypal I don’t buy.

I use PayPal when buying from eBay traders who might not have good security systems in place. I would not think of buying through Facebook.

Shellie says:
7 March 2020

Just saw this on Facebook: “Hope Shop” (@hopeshop88) with only 613 likes and a bunch of stock photos of mountains, offering Clarks clearance products at 80% off.

David Carling says:
9 March 2020

Hi all, there is also a Facebook feed to an Ecco Golf shoe site. I was taken in on Jan 6th 2020. I placed an order for 2 pair of shoes costing £50.12. I was sent an email confirming my order, with reference numbers, and how my order would be sent, including a customer service email address cs@servicecentervip.com
I did not hear anything for a while so I contacted customer service via email and was sent an automated reply saying they were on holiday till 1st February. At this point I realised that I was dealing with a Chinese company and it coincided with the Chinese New Year. Corona virus news started to kick in, so I was patient. After a number of emails chasing my order, I received my order which turned out to be 3 pairs of Burberry fake socks, not two pairs of Ecco golf shoes.
I contacted the company on the 20th February, and they asked me to send pictures of the items and the waybill number. I sent this by return. 25th February I was asked if I wanted an exchange. Yes please I replied. 26th February I was told they had no stock left due to high demand. I was asked to return the items at my expense and on receiving them they would give me a full refund. Alternatively I could keep the wrong items and they would refund 35.8% of the total. I refused. 27th February I was offered a 45.5% refund. I refused asking for a full refund, and I would keep their snide products safe for them to arrange a collection at their cost. 28th February I was offered a 50% refund. I have not replied.
Today I have spoken to my credit card company M & S and I have been informed that they will take the matter up with the retailer and I should expect a full credit to be returned via M & S in the next few days, but keep the goods just in case they wanted to collect.
If I had have accepted the company’s final offer of a 50% refund it would have cost me approximately £26.00 for 3 pair of socks worth about £3.00.
The Company name is Llushumei, 4th Floor, 27, Jiangwan Road, Foshan City, Guangdong Province Foshanshi Gaungdongshen 51800a China. Phone 8515622326174

Regards David Carling

Not seen any ads for Clarks shoes. But I do keep getting ads for illegal streaming services.

Eduardo Gonzalez says:
12 June 2020

Seems to me that Facebook act with impunity and no one is able to stop them, I will be happy the day that Facebook platform decline …..after all they only are interesting in making money without any control by trading standards

After receiving the rather fetching “Burberry” scarf I realised it was a scam and shows were never arriving. However I was rather curious as to why they bothered sending anything. Why not just take the money and run?

Andy says:
15 July 2020

They send you something so that they can quote a tracking number….which shows that a delivery has been made.

Ellie says:
14 March 2020

This has happened to my partner too? Is there any way of getting money back?

Emails are being sent to people offering Clark’s shoes at 80% off; it’s a scam as the company name is Caulkes! Here’s what one girl wrote, save me explaining it:

Just a heads up. I had an advert today for Clarks boots that were really cheap. I got caught by it but my credit card caught it straight away. Instead of Clarks it was a motor parts shop in China. Looked really real but when I went back to it I realised the email was Claukes not Clarks – but everything else looked very real. Don’t get caught and feel free to pass this on 😀

Tandy cookk says:
18 April 2020

I got done by these scammers

Hi I ordered as well for 48 pounds 2 pair of shoes now I was just looking in internet to make sure about the website could find called the bank they can’t help money is gone
That’s it

Keith Widdicombe says:
25 April 2020

Claukes.com is an obvious fake Clarks website first seen on a facebook advert. Have reported it to fb, Google and the real Clarks Shoes but it’s still up there. Not a too badly constructed website but still pretty obviously fake. Didn’t get caught but others might if less scam-aware. That’s https://www.claukes.com. I have a screenshot but not sure how to attach it.

mac says:
26 April 2020

I would like Which to make it champion a motion to the government that all articles for sale should have the country of origin, thus we can if we wish stop buying all the Chinese dross that is flooding the country. I for one am never buying Chinese goods ever again.

Mac – The goods that people buy on the internet possibly do have “Made in China” or “Made in the PRC” on them, but you cannot inspect them before you order them. In my view it is more important to know who is selling the goods and in which jurisdiction they are located so that if they turn out to be faulty, or if fake substitutes are supplied, there is a means of redress.

I think it should be a requirement for all advertisements on the internet to state the name and permanent trading adress of the seller, and for liability in default to lie with the host website [Facebook, e-Bay, Amazon Marketplace, etc]. Buyers still have to beware because UK sellers can also market dodgy goods – well-made shoes from good brands don’t come cheap so that is a warning sign. If something looks too good to be true . . .

Anyone buying online or even in shops where there is no opportunity to inspect goods will not be aware of the country of origin. I strongly agree with Mac and also with John’s point that marketplaces should be required to have legal responsibility for the goods they advertise.

Even supposedly reputable retailers don’t generally indicate the country of origin of goods on their websites.

It should be mandatory for every online business to display the address they actually trade from on their front page.

That also goes for all Amazon marketplace sellers and eBay traders.

I would add that compaies trading from a UK address should only trade under the name with which they are registered at Companies House. If they are a small business [e.g. sole trader or small private company] their name should still be registered and it should be shown in any advertisement. If they are XYZ & Co. ‘trading as ABC’ then the proper registered name should also be shown. This might seem like petty interference but the rogues on the internet have made it necessary.

I expect the real problem is that a lot of the imported counterfeit and look-alike goods are marketed by fly-by-night traders who have no declared physical presence, operate a business from a residential address, pay no corporation tax or national insurance because they profess not to employ anyone, and don’t pay business rates or the business tariff for utilities. Lovely jubbly.

I would also guess that a high proportion of the sanitary products being offered on the internet at exorbitant prices by pop-up traders were acquired during the panic buying spree. Sites should not allow them to trade on their platform until they have produced evidence of their credentials and compliance.

Dolly says:
27 April 2020

Its still up there on fb,& marketsite, obvious now iv been coned too.

Sharon Wilkes says:
15 May 2020

Think I was just scammed from a Clark’s website on Facebook.

Ingrid Freeburn says:
26 May 2020

I have just discovered this thread and think I have also been conned on Facebook. I had a look at the shoes yesterday morning and then kept seeing the ad during the day and eventually ordered three pairs of shoes for my husband and two for myself last night at a total cost of £120…I have a confirmation email regarding the order which was paid by debit card. Is there anything I can do at this stage?

barry keating says:
11 June 2020

Fortunately you paid over £100 , if you paid by credit card contact you issuer to cancel the transaction and IMPORTANT cancel your card and send a replacement. These spam sites also harvest personal details for selling on. If you paid by debit card advise your bank and place yourself on CIFAS

Natassia Brenman says:
27 May 2020

I just saw what looks like a similar scam on Instagram, though thankfully didn’t purchase anything in the end as everything was showing up in euros and the deal was 80% off all new stock

Sally says:
31 May 2020

I think I’ve been scammed, after ordering shoes from Clarksoutleteu.com. only spent £20, payment originally in euros converted to £, bank statement in US$. I have a brother working for EU and UN fraud who’s had all the details. Payment went through Cartworld shop.com Nationwide looked at tesndaction and said all appeared ok! Let’s see. Will keep posted

I was also caught out with the Clarks 80% off I bought 2 pairs and paid for Them on my debit card it was £44 it came under the name of Reliable Kind on my account. Can I do anything about it, could I get in touch with my bank and claim it back?

Hi Sue, I spoke to my bank about the Clark’s scam after ordering and then reading up on Facebook. The name of the company on the account was the same reliable kind. The bank said to wait until the date had past for delivery, which was today. However I have now received an email from Reliable Kind to say my order was on it’s way and would be with me in 15 to 20 days, obviously coming from China. I’m not expecting to find the shoes I ordered after reading other comments on here. I’m going to wait to see what arrives and then if they are not what I ordered will dispute. I have cancelled my bank card.

I’ve been scammed by “www.hokaoneoneu.com” – claimed price was €65 and offices/warehouses in “UK, Berlin and Barcelona” – very professional looking, on Facebook App. Debited €73 from my debit card. Having been fighting online battle with “service[at]clientservicehome[dot]com” as http://www.hokaoneoneu.com has disappeared. Got a few dodgy answers to enquiries and finally a tracking number . . which eventually lead nowhere. My biggest complaint is about Facebook – they are making millions by hosting criminal enterprises – advertisers whose bona fides they haven’t checked out. Surely, somehow Facebook must be forced to take Full Responsibility for the criminal enterprises they are hosting and facilitating on their platform!!

Sue says:
6 June 2020

I was scammed by the Clark’s con yesterday exactly as highLogged four months ago. FB need to be taken to task for this involvement in crime

Buy through eBay if possible as their guarantee service is quick and efficient. I also buy though PayPal (incl on eBay) as they too have a refund procedure, which I’ve had to use once. Why don’t people understand that the web is full of dodgy sellers that prey on peoples’ gullibility?

Pauline says:
12 June 2020

Yes I will always use PayPal to pay for goods. I use the old adage if it is too cheap think twice