/ Money

Do you still carry cash?

cash

Do you still pay for most things in cash or do you find yourself relying more and more on contactless or chip and Pin cards?

In November, the ATM industry body warned that 10,000 free cashpoints could disappear from Britain’s high streets within four years, with usage apparently falling.

Many of you shared concerns about losing free-to-use cash machines, and I was certainly one of them – being charged to access your own money just doesn’t sit right. In our poll, an overwhelming 82% of you agreed, saying you would never pay to withdraw money.

Visiting the cashpoint

While I’m fully against cashpoints that charge to withdraw, all this did get me thinking about how often I actually withdraw cash from one.

It then dawned on me that I only really visit a cashpoint once a week – on my way to play football for my Saturday team.

The only way to pay the referee after a game is in cash. The pitch also needs paying for, and what’s left over the club uses to buy everyone a drink in the pub after the game.

It costs £10 for a home game (£5 if you only end up playing a half) and £7 for an away game. And as myself and the teammates I share a lift with rarely have any cash on us, we have to drive to the game via a cashpoint to get out our subs.

Sorting out the cash in the changing room after a game can also feel like a dated affair, as most of the team hands over notes and the person in charge of collecting the subs never has enough loose change to give back. Oh, for a contactless card reader! Still, I’m not expecting refs to come equipped with these any time soon.

Contactless generation

For me, my teammates and other friends of a similar age (around 28, if you’re wondering), contactless cards have completely revolutionised our spending habits.

None of us really like to carry too much cash simply because there’s hardly anything that we really need it for on a day-to-day basis: we can buy most things by placing our contactless cards on a reader or, failing that, by entering our Pin.

But could this be a generational thing? While many in my age group don’t seem to carry cash at all, it’s a completely different story for my dad – I don’t think he’s ever used his card to make a contactless payment!

Do you still carry cash on a regular basis? If so, what do you use it for? Do you prefer using it to contactless payments or a chip and Pin card?

Comments
Jill sleeper says:
6 March 2019

We always carry cash and use it lots,we do carry cards and use them for certain things and they can be very useful when purchasing and paying for many things,but I would never like to be in a society where we were cashless,we need to have a choice in how we wish to pay for things

M.H.Pages says:
8 March 2019

You are right .Carry cash and your credit cards .Nothing like it.

Mr D Wright says:
15 March 2019

Will never do Banking on the Internet until it is 100% reliable.

We totally agree !!!!!

Desmond Cass says:
6 March 2019

Once up to 70% use cashless cards, do you think that for one moment the card suppliers(banks) will take 2% on every transaction, you are very much mistaken it will very quickly rise to 5% then 10% because the baskets are greedy & they have the monopoly, remember there are only 3 major Bank card suppliers.We are the mugs who will be giving the banks our hard earned.
Cash is King.

This process “if it becomes law” will lead to many people being charged by banks and unable to rectify the cost. It is seriously dire to give THE BANKS so much authority over our finances and it concerns me that most of the public are just going along with this or they are ignorant of what this could mean in the future.
My thoughts are CHIPPING without choice………………………………………………………………….

We live in a rural area with very few banks or cash machines. We also suffer a high number of power cuts. Without cash we would not be able to shop or eat out. The recent TSB meltdown ment cash was the only means of surviving.

Paul says:
6 March 2019

This is a long term plan by the EU and the banks.With a cashless society that means the bank in the short term will have full control of our money . This suits the EU if we stop in as they intend moving the financial centre to Frankfurt and converting to the EURO in 2020/22. Then the banks will be controlled by the EU. The only chance of this not happening is staying out of the EU.

Cash is still the ONLY legal tender in the UK and one can still be accused of being ‘destitute’ without it! Anything else is ‘suspect’ and should not be a ‘first choice’. Also, there are many areas where cash is the only means of trade such as buying at ‘autojumbles’ or for a ‘taxis’ or giving ‘tips’. A credit document or digital card only helps the finance organisations to save them costs and is only an advantage if one has to pay a seller remotely.

Meryel Boyd says:
7 March 2019

I always carry cash. How else do you pay the window cleaner, the house cleaner (if you are lucky enough to afford one) and countless other small workers who cannot possibly carry the card terminals round with them. What about tips in restaurants?
My partner has Alzheimers and is allowed to draw £100 cash each week to pay for cups of coffee and small items, occasional meals etc. This is a special arrangement with a local bank. He does not have the use of a bank card owing to previous incidents with a dishonest carer. This gives him the dignity of appearing to pay his way as he always has done.
What about people without bank accounts?

James says:
7 March 2019

Do you think it is a good idea to give this state complete control over your money, and therefore all aspects of your life?

I know it is banks that issue cards and you may think that banks are independent of government.

Jenny Wright says:
7 March 2019

I think there is less chance of fraud if I use cash. I have aleady experienced fraud using a card twice. My bank has always repaid me but their generosity can’t last. I prefer to use an ATM inside a bank to get cash, which I am sure is safer than using a debit or credit card in machines.

Karen says:
7 March 2019

Not being able to use cash takes away a persons independence particularly vulnerable people who have extreme health issues
My partner is chronically ill with several issues but still enjoys going to get his paper every morning with cash he would not be mentally able to remember PIN numbers and I would not feel happy with him carrying cards
Don’t take our lives away by policing how we spend our money as well !!!!!

Peter Medhurst says:
7 March 2019

The least well off in our society will be hit the hardest by removing Cash from our economy. Those in Rural areas will suffer even more. Don’t let it go.

Ab Le says:
7 March 2019

I note much of what I want to say has been said before in this forum, but I’ll say it again.
If cash is removed, then we are beholden to the whomever pulls the strings and one thing is certain, it is not us, the ‘little people’ who do that.
We will be more controlled than we are now. Not good.

Iris Burtwell says:
7 March 2019

I have always used cash and cannot imagine a world without cash. How would you pay taxi drivers or window cleaners; give your hairdresser or dustmen a tip? Would the people who beg on the streets accept a cheque? I think they too will soon disappear.

E F foster says:
8 March 2019

I still mainly use cash for payment of goods is is safer as we have seen with so many web sites being attacked

Mrs P. Sala Newport says:
8 March 2019

I need a cash point for all items Under £20.00 I never use a credit card. .I have for certain societies need to pay cash. I find it just like banks they just want to make money . Call centres are also in far east where they do not teach the low paid start to speak English that we can understand . We need a better service . Banks make millions and do no give a good service to their clients . WITH OUT US they would all close. maybe we should all go back to saving our money either in a small safe or under a mattress!!!

Mrs Mary J brydon says:
8 March 2019

I am a pensioner and sole carer for my husband, we live in a small village in Norfolk, I can rarely get to the bank or an ATM in the local towns. However, my village post office has a cash withdrawal service which provides me with cash so that I can pay various people who help me within the home and garden. I would be absolutely stuck without the PO support. Given that there has been also talk about stopping cheques I really would be in a quandary should this also happen.

Caz says:
23 March 2019

My husband and I always carry cash. We do not use Contactless at all but use the chip and pin method. We even changed our contactless Visa cards to non-contactless ones and the two Visa cards that do not allow us to have non-contactless are in card protectors.
Why do we have a couple of visa cards ? One is with Tesco Bank which we use when food and petrol shopping so we gain more points

I use cash for all small purchases, and a credit card (chip and pin) for larger ones. I do not use ATMs as I do not have a bank card. I get cash either from my bank (using a cheque), or more often from a building society using a pass-book. Fortunately being long retired, I have plenty of time, and see no advantage for me in using either ATMs or contactless cards. I don’t mind being called a dinosaur, but I can easily account for all my spending, and run very few risks.

Being an oldie cash is still much used. I am very aware of how much of our spending can be tracked and therefore use cash frequently; mostly for spending under £50-£75. I also try to avoid on-line spending where possible prefering real shops and talking face to face.

I prefer to use cash for small payments as it is the only way I can keep within my spending limits each month. No cash – No spend. simple