/ Money

Scam call warning: Amazon Prime ‘renewal’

An automated scam call is impersonating Amazon Prime, telling victims their subscription will be ‘renewed’ for £39.99. Here’s what you need to watch out for.

We’ve been made aware of an automated scam phone call designed to trick Amazon Prime customers into connecting with a fraudulent ‘account manager’.

It’s similar in tactics to the ‘Visa fraud department‘ call, which also instructs victims to ‘press 1’ to be connected.

From here, it’s highly likely scammers will attempt to extort bank details and/or personal data from you.

Amazon Prime scam: what to expect

To find out exactly what you need to watch out for, I spoke with Craig, a member of the public who received the call on his landline earlier this month.

He was told by an automated voice that this was a ‘reminder’, and that his Prime account was being renewed at a cost of £39.99.

It went on to tell him that he should ‘press 1’ to speak with an ‘account manager’.

Craig is indeed an Amazon Prime customer, however he’s never associated his home number with his Prime account. This would suggest that the scam is targeting members of the public at random, rather than Prime customers directly.

How to deal with phone scams

If you’ve received this call, hang up immediately. Amazon will never contact you in this way, and the call being completely unsolicited should also set off alarm bells.

You can read our full guide to phone scams here, and also report this scam to Action Fraud using its online reporting tool.

If you do think you may have given sensitive information to scammers, contact your bank straight away and let them know what’s happened.

You can also find out everything you need to know about getting your money back after a scam in our guide.

I made Amazon aware of this scam call after speaking with Craig. An Amazon spokesperson told me:

“We take phishing and spoofing attempts on our customers seriously, and will never call a customer for payment outside of our website. If a customer has concerns or receives a call they believe is not from Amazon, they can check the Amazon.co.uk help pages for guidance”

Have you received this Amazon Prime scam call? If so, did you think it was genuine?

Whether you’re an Amazon Prime customer or not, do help us get the word out by warning friends and family about these calls, and let us know if you’ve received anything similar in the comments below.

Comments
m brady says:
26 November 2019

Had an automated call from “amazon” stating my prime membership had run out and if I wanted to carry on I would need to hold for a account manager, obviously I hung up as yes I’m a prime customer but I knew it wouldn’t run out till July next year

Just received automated International phone call allegedly from Amazon re. Prime membership which although I’ve never had was concerned may have been added accidentally after recent purchase. Pressed 1 and spoke to Account Manager who asked me to log in to my Amazon account. In the process of logging in I was asked if I was using a computer, a few seconds after saying I was using my IPad the phone went dead. This confirmed it must have been a scam call!

heh, told them ‘will you please stop calling this number’; he said (in india accent) ‘will you please f&*% off’
lol!

J Osborne says:
28 November 2019

I have had 3 calls over the past week saying I will be charged £39.99. At first I almost thought it was real because my free month’s Prime trial was about to run out. It would be helpful if Amazon emailed their customers warning them of these scams.

Stuart FITZPATRICK says:
28 November 2019

I’ve had three calls and wife one on our landline so they’re very persistent!

I have had this call nearly every day. There is no point in blocking the number as they just use another number.

Sarah says:
28 November 2019

I am getting these Amazon Prime automated scam calls daily here in York – from 7am to 10pm up to 4-5 times a day! Waking me and up and driving me mad. Why can’t someone stop them?! Each one is from a different number, so although I can block calls I can’t block this one. Even more worrying is the fact that today they used a York dialling code! That makes it look even more genuine so they are obviously trying new ways of duping people. What can be done?

In Britain Sarah ?—- nothing as the very same VoIP calls are used by big businesses usually American to hide their real location ,also done by UK companies .
This is “agreed practice ” by many countries meeting and agreeing to it to “forward ” Globalisation.

You could make it part of your preference to vote for a party that usually “hits home ” with MP,s.

Just received call as described above by Craig. Automated voice has American accent and, although it refers to 39.99, there is no mention of currency. Instantly recognised as a scam and terminated call.

Teresa Wakeling says:
28 November 2019

Just had an automated call saying my Amazon account had been hacked and Prime added at £99.99.told to press 1 to connect to “our experienced fraud team” which I didn’t. I do have Prime already

Welly says:
28 November 2019

Just had a call “from Amazon” on my landline saying press 1 to speak to an agent. The Indian agent said someone in Liverpool had hacked my account and could I log into my amazon account. He then asked me to type “teamviewer” into my bar I then realised it was a scam and hung up.

My Mum has been contacted by this scammer 3 x today, it was using tel number 01495880827, we have now call barred number

suehmk says:
28 November 2019

Have had two calls today, purporting to be from Amazon and wanting to “refund your Prime subscription of £69.99, which has been taken from your current account”. Not automated calls, but an Indian-sounding call agent. Second one tried to get me to open computer on which I do my banking, so I could check the refund. When I refused, he said “f— o–” as he cut off the call!

Erica Harley says:
28 November 2019

Had 3 phone calls in one day about renewing my Amazon Prime. When I pressed 1 on the 3rd call, I went through to a person who said that someone was trying to access my account. I put the phone down. Went onto my account and checked when I was due for renewal and made sure I clicked the reminder button.

Stuart Fray says:
29 November 2019

Had the same call today asking me to renew at £39.99 a month and 4 other people were using my account to buy things. Asked me to go to a device so he could help me to check details and stop the other users. Immediate alarm bells rang and after some heated discussion I hung up.

g.bloor says:
29 November 2019

received call from amazon prime this morning at 10.02(29/11) from telephone number 01417721602, pressed 1 as requested but then thought better of it as I do not like amazon prime service and have had to cancel it on several occasions when automatically included in the final purchase so went to internet to check for a scam which it obviously is . there must be some security leak at amazon as my number is ex business and does not appear in any directories or lists so beware !!

The legal way of finding an ex directory number G is-
BT will have transferred its India operations to the UK in January but as the India operators knew it was happening they made money out of selling customers data to scammers .
BT sent over detectives working for them and caught some .

Cholmondy Spigwart says:
29 November 2019

Some times the phone rings six or seven times a day. Each time I press 1 I get some American shouting abuse at me. I am tired of it. [This comment has been edited in line with our community guidelines. Thanks, mods]

7 times a day Cholmondy ?- in that case buy a good call blocker , Which has recommendations.

AVRIL MONKS says:
29 November 2019

Yesterday I had a phone call from a mobile number which I answered as I thought it was our gardener.. A woman told me to press 1 and that my Prime payment was up for renewal but that three people may have hacked my account She wanted me to go to my computer. It wasn’t convenient at that time, so I rang off. Also had other calls during the day which I didn’t reply to. Can’t remember joining Prime, and I certainly have never used the service. Have now cancelled, and am hoping to get a refund ?????

Telling Cholmondy to buy a call blocker and at that a Which recommended one –moderated ? I am totally mystified ?
Trying to help somebody who is obviously upset , I obviously am not seeing something somebody else is seeing .

Thanks George , it does make me feel better.

sapper70 says:
29 November 2019

had two this morning. i do not use amazon prime on principal because of their tax dodging.

lellimart says:
29 November 2019

Just this minute received a call from telling my prime membership will renew at £39.99. Asked me to press 1 to go to customer service, I hung up and got straight on the internet to find out if it was legit. To my surprise another scam.