/ Money

Scam call warning: Amazon Prime ‘renewal’

An automated scam call is impersonating Amazon Prime, telling victims their subscription will be ‘renewed’ for £39.99. Here’s what you need to watch out for.

We’ve been made aware of an automated scam phone call designed to trick Amazon Prime customers into connecting with a fraudulent ‘account manager’.

It’s similar in tactics to the ‘Visa fraud department‘ call, which also instructs victims to ‘press 1’ to be connected.

From here, it’s highly likely scammers will attempt to extort bank details and/or personal data from you.

Update: 19/11/2020

More than a year since we first published this warning, and despite our efforts so far to see action taken, we know that the Amazon Prime scam call is still happening.

We’re also aware that the call is continuing in the run up to Black Friday (27 November), therefore we’re renewing our call on Which? Conversation to be wary as scammers look to take advantage.

Which? recently published further evidence of similar remote access scams that have the potential to wipe out a victim’s life savings, including Amazon Prime impersonators who stole £6,900 from a woman in her 60s.

We’re now calling on the government to introduce legislation to ensure a new statutory code of practice can be created, which would include clear standards and protections for victims.

Update: 18/03/2020

Thank you to the 17,000+ people who filled out our survey on this dangerous Amazon Prime scam call – the data we’ve collected will be vital in taking action against it.

What’s next? We’ll now be taking your responses to the phone companies and Amazon itself to demonstrate just how widespread this scam call is, and how it’s impacting on people’s lives.

We’ll then work with them to implement appropriate action, including warnings, potential call-blocking and reporting these calls to the relevant authorities.

This page will be updated as soon as we have more information. Thank you for your support.

Update: 13/02/2020

This Amazon Prime scam call has been frequently posing a threat to the public for too long. We want to see action taken against it from the phone providers and Amazon.

You can help us stamp this out by answering the following questions:

The Which? Amazon Prime scam call survey is now closed

We’ll then use your responses to prove just how widespread this problem is and which providers are the most affected.

Amazon Prime scam: what to expect (16/10/2019)

To find out exactly what you need to watch out for, I spoke with Craig, a member of the public who received the call on his landline earlier this month.

He was told by an automated voice that this was a ‘reminder’, and that his Prime account was being renewed at a cost of £39.99.

It went on to tell him that he should ‘press 1’ to speak with an ‘account manager’.

Craig is indeed an Amazon Prime customer, however he’s never associated his home number with his Prime account. This would suggest that the scam is targeting members of the public at random, rather than Prime customers directly.

How to deal with phone scams

If you’ve received this call, hang up immediately. Amazon will never contact you in this way, and the call being completely unsolicited should also set off alarm bells.

You can read our full guide to phone scams here, and also report this scam to Action Fraud using its online reporting tool.

If you do think you may have given sensitive information to scammers, contact your bank straight away and let them know what’s happened.

You can also find out everything you need to know about getting your money back after a scam in our guide.

I made Amazon aware of this scam call after speaking with Craig. An Amazon spokesperson told me:

“We take phishing and spoofing attempts on our customers seriously, and will never call a customer for payment outside of our website. If a customer has concerns or receives a call they believe is not from Amazon, they can check the Amazon.co.uk help pages for guidance”

Have you received this Amazon Prime scam call? If so, did you think it was genuine?

Whether you’re an Amazon Prime customer or not, do help us get the word out by warning friends and family about these calls, and let us know if you’ve received anything similar in the comments below.

Comments

Had 2 calls within 1hr. Exactly worded as above. Still an active scam.

17/11/20 Received a call this morning ( foreign voice from: 07027094348) – telling me I was being charged to renew my Amazon Prime membership. Having pressed 1 as asked, persistent “lady” kept telling me I was being charged and needed to try and stop the payments. Coincidentally I had terminated my free Prime trial last month, so kept telling the caller that I had done so and therefore there must be fraudulent activity – repeated myself and she then terminated the call. Thankfully I disclosed no bank details, but some of these scam calls can be worryingly realistic.

Rosemary Hourihane says:
17 November 2020

Hi I’ve never even joined up to Amazon Prime, but still getting these blasted calls

Rosemary Hourihane says:
17 November 2020

Even though I’ve used 1572 to stop these calls, I’m still receiving the Amazon Prime renewal call, had one this morning at 9.30am I did 1572 again so hope that works.

Michael Goodman says:
17 November 2020

Just had an ‘automated’ call from Prime warning me my payment was about to be taken for my Prime Membership, but I had a similar call a few weeks ago and so I pressed 1 to speak to an operator and said I wanted to check I was not paying twice. I was connected to an indian accented woman with a lot of call centre noise in the background who told me that I was being charged twice and they could sort it. She then told me to log on to http://www.teamviewer.com. As soon as I did and saw it was a application for remote control of my laptop, I hung up as I knew this was a fake call. The caller display was 07622 595 791.

Alfie says:
17 November 2020

Got a call from 07946 371911 claiming to be Amazon prime renewal. It was automated. I hanged up and blocked the number. Definitely bogus and ambiguous. As I don’t have a prime account.

Amazon phone scam number 07460699967
As detailed above, I hung up and barred number.
Still ongoing so be aware.

I receive these calls often to my phone, same as the ones “I heard you were involved in an accident it was not your fault”. My suggestion if you have time and patience, is to scam the scammers. How? Just talk to them about any imaginary thing that comes to your mind, invent stories for them and make them waste their time. That way they are not scamming anyone else.

My elderly mother rang me in a panic this morning. She has previously used Prime but cancelled it. The call said about Prime Renewal and to press 1 to continue. Luckily she hung up but this is so scary for anyone let alone somebody elderley. The mobile number showing was 0703 0174297.
BEAWARE STILL ONGOING LIKE MANY OTHER SCAMS INCLUDING ROYAL MAIL.

Jean Hunt says:
18 November 2020

I had two calls this morning in the same vein about Amazon Prime so still doing the rounds they must be getting rich off this

Andrew Doran says:
18 November 2020

Called at lunchtime on landline. Not an Amazon Prime user. Automated voice said subscription would be automatically renewed at £79.99 To stop renewal press 1. Put down phone.

Had a call yesterday and today. on my mobile. No caller ID so can’t even block it.

Terry says:
19 November 2020

Like those above, had a call yesterday on my landline. No caller number displayed and not available on 1471 either. The recording claimed an automatic renewal at £79.99 (which isn’t even an option with Prime). Luckily I twigged what was going on and didn’t press 1, just hung up,

Hitesh says:
19 November 2020

I have had two calls today and one yesterday. It is so annoying. One even said thank you for purchasing an iphone!!

Sam an Indian chap
Rang my wife on the
Home phone, he said
He wanted to discuss
Maintenance of our sky system, luckily my
Wife said I was not at home,he rang again in the evening, luckily I was out again,I googled it and found out it was a scam
I was lucky,

Yes still getting these phone calls -tried to contact Amazon to see if it was a scam no success

Thank you which for looking out for us

I’ve had two of these calls in the past two days and had one last week. I just hang up immediately.

I too have received these calls. One ‘give-away’ is the price quoted for renewal – it is NOT £39.99, it is ‘Thirty nine point nine nine’. No currency is mentioned. No legitimate business would state a monetary amount in that way.

G v Xylander says:
19 November 2020

I felt scammed by Amazon Prime directly: I ordered some books, which were sent , but was pushed to join Prime for an initial 3 weeks without charge. I could not get the books through normal amazon channels. I discovered that Amazon did take money from my Bank account, though i asked them not to retain my Bank details, No telephone contact or response. I feel entrapped and abused. I cancelled Prime immediately, which I got confirmed, but the fee is still not reimbursed. I feel manipulated and abused. I shall have to resort to the trading standard ombutsman – Beware of Amazon, Prime or not.

G.v.X.

Andrew says:
19 November 2020

Still getting loads of these calls, I don’t press 1 just let the call run until it terminates, keeps their equipment busy as long as possible.

I get these from time to time. They’re a nuisance but I just hang up. My Amazon account is paid by credit card anyway! Can’t block the calls because my blocked calls box is full; besides, they use different numbers so there’s no point. I don’t answer the phone if I don’t recognise the number but my husband does, so we keep getting nuisance calls.