/ Money

Scam call warning: Amazon Prime ‘renewal’

An automated scam call is impersonating Amazon Prime, telling victims their subscription will be ‘renewed’ for £39.99. Here’s what you need to watch out for.

We’ve been made aware of an automated scam phone call designed to trick Amazon Prime customers into connecting with a fraudulent ‘account manager’.

It’s similar in tactics to the ‘Visa fraud department‘ call, which also instructs victims to ‘press 1’ to be connected.

From here, it’s highly likely scammers will attempt to extort bank details and/or personal data from you.

Update: 19/11/2020

More than a year since we first published this warning, and despite our efforts so far to see action taken, we know that the Amazon Prime scam call is still happening.

We’re also aware that the call is continuing in the run up to Black Friday (27 November), therefore we’re renewing our call on Which? Conversation to be wary as scammers look to take advantage.

Which? recently published further evidence of similar remote access scams that have the potential to wipe out a victim’s life savings, including Amazon Prime impersonators who stole £6,900 from a woman in her 60s.

We’re now calling on the government to introduce legislation to ensure a new statutory code of practice can be created, which would include clear standards and protections for victims.

Update: 18/03/2020

Thank you to the 17,000+ people who filled out our survey on this dangerous Amazon Prime scam call – the data we’ve collected will be vital in taking action against it.

What’s next? We’ll now be taking your responses to the phone companies and Amazon itself to demonstrate just how widespread this scam call is, and how it’s impacting on people’s lives.

We’ll then work with them to implement appropriate action, including warnings, potential call-blocking and reporting these calls to the relevant authorities.

This page will be updated as soon as we have more information. Thank you for your support.

Update: 13/02/2020

This Amazon Prime scam call has been frequently posing a threat to the public for too long. We want to see action taken against it from the phone providers and Amazon.

You can help us stamp this out by answering the following questions:

The Which? Amazon Prime scam call survey is now closed

We’ll then use your responses to prove just how widespread this problem is and which providers are the most affected.

Amazon Prime scam: what to expect (16/10/2019)

To find out exactly what you need to watch out for, I spoke with Craig, a member of the public who received the call on his landline earlier this month.

He was told by an automated voice that this was a ‘reminder’, and that his Prime account was being renewed at a cost of £39.99.

It went on to tell him that he should ‘press 1’ to speak with an ‘account manager’.

Craig is indeed an Amazon Prime customer, however he’s never associated his home number with his Prime account. This would suggest that the scam is targeting members of the public at random, rather than Prime customers directly.

How to deal with phone scams

If you’ve received this call, hang up immediately. Amazon will never contact you in this way, and the call being completely unsolicited should also set off alarm bells.

You can read our full guide to phone scams here, and also report this scam to Action Fraud using its online reporting tool.

If you do think you may have given sensitive information to scammers, contact your bank straight away and let them know what’s happened.

You can also find out everything you need to know about getting your money back after a scam in our guide.

I made Amazon aware of this scam call after speaking with Craig. An Amazon spokesperson told me:

“We take phishing and spoofing attempts on our customers seriously, and will never call a customer for payment outside of our website. If a customer has concerns or receives a call they believe is not from Amazon, they can check the Amazon.co.uk help pages for guidance”

Have you received this Amazon Prime scam call? If so, did you think it was genuine?

Whether you’re an Amazon Prime customer or not, do help us get the word out by warning friends and family about these calls, and let us know if you’ve received anything similar in the comments below.

Comments
alan fry says:
11 November 2020

I have had this twice, both times were the day before i had closed my amazon prime account. this scam is coming from somebody who works at amazon

Simon Lewis says:
11 November 2020

This is still current. Call from 07858 790453

Received a call today purporting to be from Amazon with regard to a Prime Account.
The voice was female, with a US accent.
The phone number is an 07026 one, which after returning the call (dialed back), a voice states “This number is not taking calls at present, please call back later”.
The amount quoted as being renewed today was laughable, as in £79. 9999999!
Press 1 to cancel, press 2 for other queries.
I hung up.

Ian McEwen says:
11 November 2020

Today received a call, second in two days, from ‘Amazon Prime’ for annual renewal of my Prime account for £79.99. Pure scam. The phone number was 060160403662.

Jason says:
11 November 2020

I just had a scam call…they knew my phone number, name and address. This is so scary. What do I do??

Hi Jason, are you ex-directory? or are those data in the phonebook (see:-https://www.thephonebook.bt.com/person/ )

If you have ever given out your name address and phone number to a bona fide business or person, then it also possible that the scammers may have ontained your details by stealing that data.

Name and address data is also in the electoral roll, if you are a UK resident.

Scammers will often use readily available data as a means to con victims into giving away other data, such as bank or credit card details.

Jo Richardson says:
12 November 2020

Two calls already this morning. Both from an unavailable number. I don’t currently have Prime membership but have had previously.

Carole says:
12 November 2020

Call from 07926590581 saying my prime account renewal £79.99 was processed, American female voice. I hung up.

Ray Coleman says:
12 November 2020

Had one of these calls today, I dialled 1571 to recall the sent number but no number was available to report to the fraud office, but I knew it was fake as Amazon does not have my home phone number.

Manish says:
12 November 2020

just got a call today from 07025075327 saying my services were re-subsrcribed for another year. never have i given my landline number to amazon, so i figured it was a scam.
watch out for 070 number people, these are not normal mobile numbers.

I have had a telephone call on my landline this morning asking me to press 1 if I want to query my Amazon subscription for £79.99. A week or so ago I had a text message saying pretty much the same thing. Thankfully I ignored both as I had recently been caught on the O2 scam. It’s so worrying particularly for us older people.

Still happening… Had two of them this week… todays CLID was 01417631270, but the phone also identified it as international.

I am not, and have never been, an Amazon Prime member and I have gotten two calls. Both calls occurred this morning.

Penelope Trimmer says:
13 November 2020

Just got this today, also a few days ago, female automated voice asking me to press 1, and my account is due for renewal in 2 weeks. I had already cancelled it though. 0121 number. I hung up as felt a bit suspicious and thought I’d check on the website anyway.

Carolyn Elliott says:
13 November 2020

I am receiving daily calls stating that my amazon prime account will be renewed for £79.00 – we do not have an amazon prime account at this address! I just hang up and ignore the option to speak to a manager thinking that this is most likely another scam! Would like to know how to stop these calls though

Hi Carolyn, these calls can be blocked, if you have a call blocker than only allows known trusted numbers to ring your phone, with other calls either routed to ansaphone or block outright.

As an example, Argos sell BT Call Guardian handsets that can be setup to do this.

13.11.20 An automated call informed me that my Amazon Prime account would be renewed. I explained that I had already renewed and I was informed that my account had been hacked and they would need to go through to see if there had been any unauthorised payments. The phone number that my call came from was: 07903006216. The voice was that of an Indian male in a very busy boiler room with lots of background noise. He asked my age (presumably to check if I would be vulnerable to such as scam) and asked me to sit in front of my computer, at which point I became suspicious and he terminated the call.

Keith says:
13 November 2020

Had call 0934 this morning- recorded message (woman with Indian accent) stated ‘Your Amazon Prime Account will be renewed for £79.99 from your account…’ I hung up as I have not had any Amazon accounts. 1471 showed number 01544 569523 but looking at other comments they appear to be calling from many different numbers. Think I’ve had other inconvenient calls from this but not got to phone in time. Do not get many of these types of calls now as reg with TPS but do not use call blocker. Any progress with phone cos & Amazon since your report 16/10/19 Amazon Prime Scam: What to expect and your updates latest 18/3/20?

We regularly get up to 5 calls a day on our land line, each using a different phone number. So if you block one number on your phone it rings on a different one.

Hi Pam, as you have discovered these calls can only be blocked, by call blockers than only allow known trusted numbers to ring your phone, i.e. all other calls are either routed to ansaphone or blocked outright.

As an example, Argos sell BT Call Guardian handsets that can be set up to do this.

Modern smartphones can also do this, e,g. via Sounds… Settings… Do Not Disturb… for Android and via Sounds… Do Not Disturb… on iPhone.

Chris says:
14 November 2020

Had the same thing today from 07024878902. Definite scammer trying to get my bank details. Maybe it’s just a coincidence but my trial prime membership ended yesterday, so perhaps someone has access to this data

Also had call this morning from 07522692263 and one last week. Both messages were left on answer machine – and were an auto-dictated /bot voice message to press 1 for account management. Pure scam & annoying.

Had a call from “no caller ID” with automated message saying my membership renewal will be deducted from… and that’s when I hung up. I’ve never had Amazon Prime although I have purchased items from Amazon in the past.
I’m not sure how A Prime works and whether I’ve inadvertently subscribed to it but I presume it would be a special application process. Would I be correct in saying
/thinking that I would know if I had subscribed ?

Phil, if you have used Amazon, then you might have opted in to Prime. If you log in to Amazon, you can easily check.

But I think these scams operate independently of whether or not their victims use Amazon.