/ Money

Scam call warning: Amazon Prime ‘renewal’

An automated scam call is impersonating Amazon Prime, telling victims their subscription will be ‘renewed’ for £39.99. Here’s what you need to watch out for.

We’ve been made aware of an automated scam phone call designed to trick Amazon Prime customers into connecting with a fraudulent ‘account manager’.

It’s similar in tactics to the ‘Visa fraud department‘ call, which also instructs victims to ‘press 1’ to be connected.

From here, it’s highly likely scammers will attempt to extort bank details and/or personal data from you.

Update: 18/03/2020

Thank you to the 17,000+ people who filled out our survey on this dangerous Amazon Prime scam call – the data we’ve collected will be vital in taking action against it.

What’s next? We’ll now be taking your responses to the phone companies and Amazon itself to demonstrate just how widespread this scam call is, and how it’s impacting on people’s lives.

We’ll then work with them to implement appropriate action, including warnings, potential call-blocking and reporting these calls to the relevant authorities.

This page will be updated as soon as we have more information. Thank you for your support.

Update: 13/02/2020

This Amazon Prime scam call has been frequently posing a threat to the public for too long. We want to see action taken against it from the phone providers and Amazon.

You can help us stamp this out by answering the following questions:

The Which? Amazon Prime scam call survey is now closed

We’ll then use your responses to prove just how widespread this problem is and which providers are the most affected.

Amazon Prime scam: what to expect (16/10/2019)

To find out exactly what you need to watch out for, I spoke with Craig, a member of the public who received the call on his landline earlier this month.

He was told by an automated voice that this was a ‘reminder’, and that his Prime account was being renewed at a cost of £39.99.

It went on to tell him that he should ‘press 1’ to speak with an ‘account manager’.

Craig is indeed an Amazon Prime customer, however he’s never associated his home number with his Prime account. This would suggest that the scam is targeting members of the public at random, rather than Prime customers directly.

How to deal with phone scams

If you’ve received this call, hang up immediately. Amazon will never contact you in this way, and the call being completely unsolicited should also set off alarm bells.

You can read our full guide to phone scams here, and also report this scam to Action Fraud using its online reporting tool.

If you do think you may have given sensitive information to scammers, contact your bank straight away and let them know what’s happened.

You can also find out everything you need to know about getting your money back after a scam in our guide.

I made Amazon aware of this scam call after speaking with Craig. An Amazon spokesperson told me:

“We take phishing and spoofing attempts on our customers seriously, and will never call a customer for payment outside of our website. If a customer has concerns or receives a call they believe is not from Amazon, they can check the Amazon.co.uk help pages for guidance”

Have you received this Amazon Prime scam call? If so, did you think it was genuine?

Whether you’re an Amazon Prime customer or not, do help us get the word out by warning friends and family about these calls, and let us know if you’ve received anything similar in the comments below.

Comments

I have been receiving this call several times a day for several weeks.
I am not an Amazon Prime customer.
Each call comes from a different number so blocking pointless.
Action Fraud not interested.
Drving me round the bend.

Scott says:
18 March 2020

Called at 1pm, 18 March. Sounds very credible but I’ve never been contacted by Amazon by phone before and they called a landline number that isn’t publicised so knew it was a scam.

Sandra says:
18 March 2020

We get Amazon Prime calls at least once a week, even though we dont have Prime, and today a call supposedly from BT about our internet even though we aren’t with BT.

Nigel says:
18 March 2020

I was called today suggesting that my Prime account was being renewed at a cost of 39.99.I pressed 1 and challenged the female on the phone about the possibility of her being part of a scam she put the phone down after calling me an uncomplimentary name.

Ross says:
18 March 2020

Had numerous Amazon Prime renewal request calls to my landline – am getting fed up with them – even although I hang up immediately. Afraid there is no solution?

Carol says:
18 March 2020

I have just received my second automated call purporting to be from amazon Prime regarding renewal of my ( non existent) Prime account and inviting me unsubscribe by pressing 1. I immediately blocked the number but I find it alarming that I received such a call just after I had made an online purchase, not through Amazon as it happens, but our online buying activities are clearly being closely monitored by these scammers.

viktoria says:
18 March 2020

Hi, I must share my experience with this Amazon renewal scam.
Timeline of event today 18/3/2020:
14:00 – changed my amazon password as haven’t used the account for about a year
14:15 – automated call about 39.99 renewal etc, I have hanged up immediately – same as mentioned above from no. 09257538211 on my newly installed landline (the number I didn’t share with anyone as yet!!!!! I don’t know it myself neither haha)

Viktoria

Terence says:
18 March 2020

I have been called 8 times today. And pressed 1 to speak to an operator [Removed] David, answered. all I said was I have not got an account with Amazon and the, [removed] hung up on me. 18/3/2020. I wish I could speak to them in person. Face to Face. [Removed]

[Moderator: this post has been edited to remove racially-biased language and threats of violence. Please read and abide by the Community guidelines before posting]

Ray smith says:
19 March 2020

Just had an automated call saying it was amazon prime, I thought they said it was £79.99 would be deducted to renew. I suppose it could have said 39.99 needless to say I did not press one

Paul says:
19 March 2020

Same here just now – £79.99. Recording had an American accent. Calling number was 07051736400.
Voicemail had picked up so I just ignored it.

Maureen Gormley says:
19 March 2020

I received a call today and it said £79.99 renewal. An English speaking automated call. I don’t have an Amazon Prime account.

MAGARI says:
19 March 2020

Have had 10 annoying scam Amazon automated calls since beginning of March. Did 1471 each time and all had different phone numbers. How do I stop them.

Kenny benny says:
19 March 2020

Get one of these amazon scam calls at least once a week, this morning I was woken at 07-42 am .Amazon with all the profits they are making really need to sort these scammers out .I really hate these scammers and would like to punished .

Ted says:
19 March 2020

18th March 2020 received autocall on BT landline press one to connect Foreign voice “How are you today? etc When I said I don’t have prime account just rang off

For scams that involve victims phoning frephone numbers provided by the scammers, here is one way of fighting back:-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzedMdx6QG4

This also shows how calls can be routed via a rolling sequence of different numbers, to prevent them from being blocked by any “blocked list” systems.

John Coad says:
19 March 2020

I’ve had 2 such calls this morning. I get them to call me back and ask them which town they are calling from. They soon hang up but it gives me a little pleasure.

G Clutterbuck says:
19 March 2020

Just had an automated prime call renewal for £79.00 odd press 1 to cancel did so and a foreign guy said thanks for ringing Amazon Prime I replied , you what ? He quickly put the phone down . 07051364662 check number and was immediately unobtainable !

Karina says:
19 March 2020

Our phone is ringing every 5 minutes with this scam call. I’m no longer answering and may have to unplug which isn’t ideal when you need to keep in touch with elderly relatives at this time. Shame on these scammers!

Sally Sanderson says:
19 March 2020

We’ve had 3 calls from Amazon Prime today already. It used to be once a day but this is out of control.

Michelle Finney says:
19 March 2020

Haď twò calls today wondering whether it’s because they know that alot of people are at home now ??

Jill Kingston says:
20 March 2020

Had this call this morning from number 02830 860308, firstly an automated voice saying that 39.99 would be deducted from my account unless I spoke to an advisor then a male voice came on the line. I put the phone down

Deborah Porton says:
20 March 2020

I’m getting a few of these calls a day now.