/ Money

Scam call warning: Amazon Prime ‘renewal’

An automated scam call is impersonating Amazon Prime, telling victims their subscription will be ‘renewed’ for £39.99. Here’s what you need to watch out for.

We’ve been made aware of an automated scam phone call designed to trick Amazon Prime customers into connecting with a fraudulent ‘account manager’.

It’s similar in tactics to the ‘Visa fraud department‘ call, which also instructs victims to ‘press 1’ to be connected.

From here, it’s highly likely scammers will attempt to extort bank details and/or personal data from you.

Update: 18/03/2020

Thank you to the 17,000+ people who filled out our survey on this dangerous Amazon Prime scam call – the data we’ve collected will be vital in taking action against it.

What’s next? We’ll now be taking your responses to the phone companies and Amazon itself to demonstrate just how widespread this scam call is, and how it’s impacting on people’s lives.

We’ll then work with them to implement appropriate action, including warnings, potential call-blocking and reporting these calls to the relevant authorities.

This page will be updated as soon as we have more information. Thank you for your support.

Update: 13/02/2020

This Amazon Prime scam call has been frequently posing a threat to the public for too long. We want to see action taken against it from the phone providers and Amazon.

You can help us stamp this out by answering the following questions:

The Which? Amazon Prime scam call survey is now closed

We’ll then use your responses to prove just how widespread this problem is and which providers are the most affected.

Amazon Prime scam: what to expect (16/10/2019)

To find out exactly what you need to watch out for, I spoke with Craig, a member of the public who received the call on his landline earlier this month.

He was told by an automated voice that this was a ‘reminder’, and that his Prime account was being renewed at a cost of £39.99.

It went on to tell him that he should ‘press 1’ to speak with an ‘account manager’.

Craig is indeed an Amazon Prime customer, however he’s never associated his home number with his Prime account. This would suggest that the scam is targeting members of the public at random, rather than Prime customers directly.

How to deal with phone scams

If you’ve received this call, hang up immediately. Amazon will never contact you in this way, and the call being completely unsolicited should also set off alarm bells.

You can read our full guide to phone scams here, and also report this scam to Action Fraud using its online reporting tool.

If you do think you may have given sensitive information to scammers, contact your bank straight away and let them know what’s happened.

You can also find out everything you need to know about getting your money back after a scam in our guide.

I made Amazon aware of this scam call after speaking with Craig. An Amazon spokesperson told me:

“We take phishing and spoofing attempts on our customers seriously, and will never call a customer for payment outside of our website. If a customer has concerns or receives a call they believe is not from Amazon, they can check the Amazon.co.uk help pages for guidance”

Have you received this Amazon Prime scam call? If so, did you think it was genuine?

Whether you’re an Amazon Prime customer or not, do help us get the word out by warning friends and family about these calls, and let us know if you’ve received anything similar in the comments below.

Comments
Sharon Matern says:
16 March 2020

Well, I just received the call a couple min ago. And of course it was a man with a very thick accent telling me that my account would be charged $39.99 unless I wanted to cancel it. The joke was on him because I do not have amazon prime. So I instantly knew this was a scam, but. Wanted to play along to see what they wanted me to do. He first wanted me to press the control button and the windows button along with the R button. I said no I don’t feel comfortable doing that. Then he wanted me to type in the browser a website which is: cancelprime website2
And there he wanted me to hit the button that said: any desk, I again said no then he said hit the team viewer button. I again said no.
I said I would call amazon prime back on the number I have for them to verify if they are charging me and have them cancel it if they are. He got so mad when I said that was what I would do. It made me laugh, because he didn’t get to scam this person!

[Moderator: We’ve removed the link posted by the commenter as it pointed to a fake website. Please use caution with links you receive in emails and texts, especially if they are short URLs and/or you are not expecting them. For more information, see https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/how-to-spot-a-fake-fraudulent-or-scam-website%5D

samantha says:
17 March 2020

ive just had a phone call saying my amazon prime account was continuing and a debit of £199, was being taken from my account, number withheld

Stephen says:

Called today 17/03/20 at 09:50am
They’ve upped the cost to £79.99 I assume to create more panic and knock vulnerable people towards a more panicked state. Utter scumbags.
Number displayed was International 01537 093132 or 01537093132 – to help people searching 🙂

Panic – leading to hasty actions – is a key element of many of these scams.

Here a nice example of how not to panic when called by an IRS scammer:-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Shp3Kd_HGEU

hazelmillion says:
17 March 2020

Called today and told £79.99 would be taken from my acc, if l didn’t press 1.

Julie Monaghan says:
17 March 2020

I had the call yesterday, can’t remember how much was quoted. It came from 01235307420

Cvb says:
17 March 2020

Had this call today so it’s still happening- I hung up during the 1st sentence but we use amazon and did have prime until recently so had me worried for a minute. The number came up as 01279 647453.

Had same today 17/03/20, £79.00 but phone number was 02048652465.

Rob says:
17 March 2020

Had the call twice today, the first mentioning £39.99. The second time I just hung up straight away.
01733 554173 was the 2nd number.

DAVID WOOLHAM says:
17 March 2020

Just had this call today, usual nonsense , press 1 etc. Call came from; 01288-893478

Sarah says:
17 March 2020

I have had 2 calls today. The renewal was 39.99 and they asked me to press 1. One call was listed as coming from 01913778363 and the other was just listed as international. I have got amazon prime but it is not due for renewal for another 15 days.

neil says:
17 March 2020

had the call 2day, ihad a bit of fun with them i made the girl cry [ not on perpose] but i did get her to admit to being a con-artised

Stephen Blowers says:
17 March 2020

I have had several calls recently which have different numbers but start with the code 01233 which is the Ashford, Kent STD code. They purported to be from Virgin Media. I went to visit a friend today and whilst there she received a similar call from Amazon. She is 88 years old and has been called every morning at 9 for the past few days. I took the call, they wanted £99.99 to renew Prime. I pressed option 1 and asked her what name she was calling. She assumed I was Mr. M….. having taken the call for Mrs. M….. I assume they are calling randomly using the Electoral Register which gives name and address. If not, then they must be using Amazon details which also have phone number. If they did use Amazon info where did they get it from, do the scammers work for Amazon???

Susana says:
17 March 2020

I would agree they calling randomly as I never provide Landline number for nothing at all as I just rent a room in the house.

Susana says:
17 March 2020

They called to the landline today, machine saying they will autorenew my prime account and take 79.99 £ if I dont cancell my suscription pressing one to be able to do so. I just hunged up at that point.

I am a lodger with Live in Landlord, he doesnt even have an amazon account , I do but I never ever used the landline number
as contact for anything, I only provide my mobile phone number as contact , and I do not have a prime account either, soo thats how I realized it was Scam.

Tim Davies says:
18 March 2020

Also happening in Australia, number was 0451012988, hung up immediately.

Jay says:
18 March 2020

We are now getting Amazon prime scam calls twice a day – can find no way to stop them.

Hi Jay, I think the only way to block these calls is to use a call blocking system that only allows incoming calls from known safe numbers. All other calls are either rejected or sent to voicemail.

I have previously posted some suggested options here:-https://conversation.which.co.uk/technology/bt-phone-scam-microsoft-technical-support-computer-pc-scams/#comment-1589592

Gary Webber says:
18 March 2020

get these calls nearly every week, keep them talking for ages, act like you dont understand how to use the computer,they hang up after a while

S Elliott says:
18 March 2020

18 March 2020 automated call to landlinefrom 0800 229 8529. Choice of pressing 1 or 2 and about taking over £79 from my account. This didn’t seem random but from inside Amazon since recently I had a trial for Prime which if I hadn’t already cancelled (have email to say cancelled and says on my account no Prime currently) would have been £79 for annual membership.

Angus Macmillan says:
18 March 2020

I’ve had three of these calls this morning! These scum need to be prosecuted. 01688 583197, 01680 438419 and 01688 388501 were the numbers they called from.

PerryTC says:
18 March 2020

I’ve just received a phone call from this number 01391536396 – initially automated to say they would be taking my amazon prime subscription shortly but to speak to an account manager if there were any questions. The call was shoddily handled, ended up speaking to his ‘supervisor’ who insisted that I needed to fill out a ‘form’ to cancel the renewal… I queried why as I had already cancelled it and why he wasn’t directing me to the actual amazon site… I said that the call was odd and suspicious… he put the phone down on me.

D Walker says:
18 March 2020

Hi, received the call saying £79.99 needed for renewal, press 1 to speak to a manager! The f……. scumbags 🤬