/ Money

Scam call warning: Amazon Prime ‘renewal’

An automated scam call is impersonating Amazon Prime, telling victims their subscription will be ‘renewed’ for £39.99. Here’s what you need to watch out for.

We’ve been made aware of an automated scam phone call designed to trick Amazon Prime customers into connecting with a fraudulent ‘account manager’.

It’s similar in tactics to the ‘Visa fraud department‘ call, which also instructs victims to ‘press 1’ to be connected.

From here, it’s highly likely scammers will attempt to extort bank details and/or personal data from you.

Update: 18/03/2020

Thank you to the 17,000+ people who filled out our survey on this dangerous Amazon Prime scam call – the data we’ve collected will be vital in taking action against it.

What’s next? We’ll now be taking your responses to the phone companies and Amazon itself to demonstrate just how widespread this scam call is, and how it’s impacting on people’s lives.

We’ll then work with them to implement appropriate action, including warnings, potential call-blocking and reporting these calls to the relevant authorities.

This page will be updated as soon as we have more information. Thank you for your support.

Update: 13/02/2020

This Amazon Prime scam call has been frequently posing a threat to the public for too long. We want to see action taken against it from the phone providers and Amazon.

You can help us stamp this out by answering the following questions:

The Which? Amazon Prime scam call survey is now closed

We’ll then use your responses to prove just how widespread this problem is and which providers are the most affected.

Amazon Prime scam: what to expect (16/10/2019)

To find out exactly what you need to watch out for, I spoke with Craig, a member of the public who received the call on his landline earlier this month.

He was told by an automated voice that this was a ‘reminder’, and that his Prime account was being renewed at a cost of £39.99.

It went on to tell him that he should ‘press 1’ to speak with an ‘account manager’.

Craig is indeed an Amazon Prime customer, however he’s never associated his home number with his Prime account. This would suggest that the scam is targeting members of the public at random, rather than Prime customers directly.

How to deal with phone scams

If you’ve received this call, hang up immediately. Amazon will never contact you in this way, and the call being completely unsolicited should also set off alarm bells.

You can read our full guide to phone scams here, and also report this scam to Action Fraud using its online reporting tool.

If you do think you may have given sensitive information to scammers, contact your bank straight away and let them know what’s happened.

You can also find out everything you need to know about getting your money back after a scam in our guide.

I made Amazon aware of this scam call after speaking with Craig. An Amazon spokesperson told me:

“We take phishing and spoofing attempts on our customers seriously, and will never call a customer for payment outside of our website. If a customer has concerns or receives a call they believe is not from Amazon, they can check the Amazon.co.uk help pages for guidance”

Have you received this Amazon Prime scam call? If so, did you think it was genuine?

Whether you’re an Amazon Prime customer or not, do help us get the word out by warning friends and family about these calls, and let us know if you’ve received anything similar in the comments below.

Comments
Dan Kelly says:
13 February 2020

You’re a bit late, theses have been going on for months!
A lot of these calls seem to come from India, judging by accents.
I usually press 1 and leave phone on table just to waste their time.
i do block the number.
As these calls seem to come from abroad and have odd numbers I would have thought they could be intercepted by provider.

Rosemary B says:
13 February 2020

I too am getting phone calls saying that £39.99 will be taken from my bank to pay for my Amazon Prime Account, but that if I want to cancel this to press 1. I don’t of course and hang up but constant calls like this are very annoying!

I had that call. I said “i don’t know why you are calling me , I do not have and never will have an Amazon account” . Then hung up. I’m 74 and not daft yet!!

Rita+Margaret Cooper says:
13 February 2020

This has been happening for months. I always give the number to “Who called me” then block it, but they have loads of numbers.

Richard King says:
13 February 2020

For a long time, I have adopted a policy of not answering any calls bearing a number I do not recognise. If a strange number carries a legitimate call, it will go to voicemail and I can pick it up from there. Thus, I avoid any contact with those creeps trying to scam me. I thoroughly recommend this course of action.

I’ve had heaps of these calls and always press 1 to speak to someone. Then I wind them up. Sometimes I tell them I work for the Fraud Squad. The calls come from different phone numbers but with the same automated, American accent, extremely amateurish message.

I have had many fraudulent calls re Amazon Prime which I have reported to Amazon themselves, and I am astonished that a powerful company like this with massive resources does nothing to catch these criminals and prosecute them. It is ridiculous that in this day and age with modern technology the phone companies do nothing to stop the variety of daily wicked fraud conducted via British telephone systems. That is it allowed to continue makes me furious.

I get 1 to 2 a day. Getting fed up with i just put the receiver down. This has been going on for about a month.

I think it’s about time the phone companies did something about it .I get about 6 every day I use the block on my phone but they just change one digit I just don’t answer my phone which is hard when iam waiting for calls from the hospital.

I have been getting these calls for a while.It’s obvious they want to find out about my bank account etc.There is another one on my mobile it keeps offering gift cards then it takes you through to a page offering high value phones etc but you must pay a shipping fee?

I was only telephoned once, so far, but when I was called he did inquire about whether or not I was a Prime Member, to which I replied that I was; he went on to say that he had good news for me, if I renewed that day (which was 2 months early) I would be offered a special deal of £7.99 to renew!. I really didn’t believe him, but when he went on to say if I just pressed ‘1’ I would be put through to a Manager who would help me I thought ”oh no you don’t” and said ”I was thinking of cancelling my Prime membership. could he help me,” he put the phone down!

ELIZABETH DRAY says:
13 February 2020

I have had 4 automated calls from amazon in two days, plus one call telling me a problem has been found on my computor and one scam call from BT, seriously considering giving up my landline…..

I too have had these calls at the rate of about twice a month since Christmas. I have a caller number display and the ability to block calls of that (apparently UK) number, starting 01 – the last started 01635 … .if my memory is right. Thank you for confirming my belief that it was a scam.

As these scammer calls come from India (i.e. overseas) , I don’t think it’s possible to block them. You can always press 1 and lead them on with a c**k-and-bull tale for a while before telling them to p*** off.

Most people,if they have an Amazon Prime a/c,as I do,have it on either a monthly,or annual,direct debit.
Few people do a one off payment,and,even if they did,the annual one off is £70+,so a request for any other figure is obviously bogus!
All calls to my landline mentioning Amazon are ended immediately.The only way Amazon contact their customers,in general,is by email,and then only to request a review on a purchase.
I have to agree,however,that there is an unconscionable delay in shutting down these lines,and,apparently,no interest by the authorities in chasing down the criminals behind the scams.
This country is apparently,way behind the curve in dealing with cybercrime in general,despite the government’s frequent protestations to the contrary.

Brian B says:
13 February 2020

Had both Amazon Prime and BT scams, the latter saying my WiFi about to go down. Only thing is to ignore completely.

Paul McOwan says:
13 February 2020

We have had a few of these calls & other similar automated ones. One asks if we have transferred a sum of money to an overseas account & if not to press 1 to be connected to a fraud prevention department or similar.
Surely its possible to set up a “sting” operation with false account details which would at least trace these b*******s and at best lock their systems up. I’m sure our clever people could come up with something!

These calls nearly always come on the landline and the microsoft one months ago was very persistent. When he said last time that there was something wrong with my computer I just said there wasn’t anything wrong with it and he had the wrong number. He laughed and put the phone down

Peter Jones says:
13 February 2020

Been receiving these Amazon scam calls for Months some times early hours of the morning. Sometimes several straight after each other. Every time I BLOCK the number via BT seemed to work for a few week but have had several this week whether blocked or Not

B lamb says:
13 February 2020

I got as far as installing and opening an app where they could connect to my iPhone. It was only when they wanted to open my bank account I completely twigged! Eek!