/ Home & Energy

Do you have a recalled Whirlpool washing machine? Here’s what to do

More than half a million washing machines are affected by the latest Whirlpool recall. Check if yours is one of them, and find out what to do next.

Update 29/04/2020

Whirlpool has recalled another 21 models of Hotpoint washing machines over safety concerns that have been identified in the door mechanism.  It’s thought around 55,000 households in the UK could have one of the models in this latest round of recalls.

The full list of affected models, including the most recently announced, can be found below so you can check if yours is one of them.

If your washing machine is affected, we’d like to hear from you about how quickly you’re able to arrange a repair or replacement, and how it’s being carried out under social distancing restrictions. Tell us below in the comments section.

Update 29/01/2020

Six weeks on from the announcement of the safety issue and three more Hotpoint washing machine models have been added to the recall – listed below.

We want to know how the recall is progressing for affected customers.  We’ve really appreciated hearing your feedback.

We want to find out if people’s cases are being resolved effectively. If you own a recalled Hotpoint or Indesit washing machine, take our survey and tell us about your experience of the recall.

Update 09/01/2020

Whirlpool’s recall of more than half a million fire-risk washing machines begins today.

Sue Davies, Which?’s Head of Consumer Protection said:

“It would clearly be unacceptable if customers were left for many months without adequate washing facilities in their homes, particularly when there is also no offer to cover consequential costs such as trips to the laundrette.

The company should do the right thing and offer customers a refund, so people can get fire-risk machines out of their homes and quickly find a suitable replacement.

There needs to be a full investigation about what Whirlpool knew about these machines and when. The government’s failing Office for Product Safety and Standards must also be replaced by an independent regulator with real powers to keep dangerous products out of people’s homes”

Do you agree with us that Whirlpool should offer a refund? Andy Slaughter MP does, and has started a petition asking Whirlpool to do the right thing.

Sign the Petition

Originally published 18/12/2019

Bought a Hotpoint or Indesit machine since 2014? You might need to stop using it. It’s been found that some have a faulty door which could cause a fire.

But with the Whirlpool website and customer care line experiencing technical difficulties, many people have been finding it hard to get the information they need.

We’ve put together this guide covering what you need to know.

How do I know if my washing machine is being recalled?

Check the model number on your machine and see if it’s one of the affected models listed below. You can find the model number inside the door, or on the back of the machine.

The company has said the problem is with Hotpoint and Indesit washing machines made between October 2014 and February 2018, but it’s worth checking regardless of when you bought yours.

These are the washing machine models affected:

Hotpoint models recalled

• WMAQC 641P UK
  • WMAQG 741P UK

Indesit models recalled

• XWA 81252X K UK
  • XWA 81252X W UK
  • XWD 71452X K UK

If your washing machine is listed above, you should stop using it until you can confirm if it’s affected.

However, Whirlpool says to reduce the risk of fire, affected washing machines can still be used on a 20C setting. We think this is confusing advice, and we’re pressing for more information.

However, we have confirmed with a number of insurance companies that you’ll still be covered if your recalled machine starts a fire, as long as you follow Whirlpool’s advice.

Some insurers have told us you might not be covered if you knowingly ignore Whirlpool’s safety advice.

If you decide to carry on using your washing machine, stay at home while it’s running a cycle and don’t put it on overnight.

How do I get my washing machine replaced or fixed?

Whirlpool will start a repair and replacement scheme on January 9th 2020.

To get yours fixed or replaced, you’ll need to register on the Whirlpool website.

You can also call the Whirlpool customer service line on 0800 316 1442.

If you’ve already submitted your information, Whirlpool will be in touch with you soon.

How long will it take to get a repair or a replacement washing machine?

We don’t know yet, but it could take weeks or months for repairs to take place. If everyone follows the advice to stop using their washing machines, thousands will be unable to do their laundry over Christmas and New Year, or even longer.

For this reason, we’ll be pushing Whirlpool to also offer refunds in addition to the options of repair or replacement.

How do i know if the machine I’m offered is ‘like for like’?

If you’re offered for a ‘like for like’ replacement machine, it’s important that it’s suitable for your needs and is as close as possible to the specifications of your original washing machine.

In deciding what is suitable it’s important you consider the following specifications:

• Capacity (drum size)
  • Spin speed
  • Machine colour
  • Energy rating

And, importantly, that the dimensions of the replacement machine is appropriate for the space in your home.

Will I be able to get any costs covered?

We’d like to see Whirlpool offer reimbursement of any out-of-pocket expenses caused by this recall. For example, the cost of removing and replacing fixed appliances in fitted kitchens.

If the recall results in you paying out, keep your receipts just in case there’s a chance to claim these costs back in the future.

We’ll be updating this post as we get more information on the recall, and how repairs and replacements will be rolled out.

Do you have a recalled model? Has Whirlpool arranged a repair or replacement for you yet?

We want to know how the experience has been for you.  Fill in our survey below:

(Viewing this on mobile? Take the survey in full screen mode instead)

Create your own user feedback survey

Tell us more about how you’ve been affected below.

Comments
David says:
4 June 2020

I keep getting text messages and emails saying my new washing machine is ready to order. When I click on the link it directs me to the registration page, which I have already done 2 Texts in one week and 10 emails over the last month. Customer support say they are generic emails. If I want the machine installed I am going to probably continuing to receive same Texts and emails until lockdown is lifted

Alison clarke says:
4 June 2020

I am in the same position. I am waiting for washing machine to be disconnected before new one gets connected. It could be weeks before the engineer comes round to install the new machine. Just as well I have facility to use machine at 20 C

Wayne says:
9 June 2020

My washing machine fml 942p uk isn’t on the recall list . But stopped working as it has a fault with the door lock. How concerned should I be?

Whoever repairs it will be familiar with the problem in other models and be able to see if there is a problem. Best of luck finding someone who will do repairs at this time.

Aaron laws says:
19 June 2020

I also have the fml942 machine that’s about 3years old and the same problem with the door not locking now. Found the door lock and wires burnt and also blown a resistor on the circuit board. Contacted Hotpoint but saying it’s not on the recall list so not covered.

Jeremy says:
10 June 2020

Recalled my washing machine. No repairs as no engineers though will come into a residence to repair it so that option is off (they say until the pandemic is over) which could be months. No delivery to inside your residence. I live on the 2nd floor. I then have two smaller flights of sitars inside my flat to my floor. I live alone so cannot get the machine to the door nor take a new one up the stairs alone. I’m now on a waiting list for a repair (for after pandemic ends) however Hotpoint are offering repairs (if you pay) and will come into your residence, Whirlpool are not. I therefore cannot get a repair or a replacement. They should be paying for a replacement by company that does deliver to inside a residence or paying for a repair that will come into a residence.

got a letter today from Whirlpool saying that they have written to me a number of times, which they haven’t,reported my Hotpoint w/machine WMEF742P in March which is on their recall list gave them the s/n309262852, they said its not a dodgy machine and is safe to use, you know their not telling the truth
have to unplug the machine every time its used.

It is common for manufacturers to fit different parts in products, depending on availability of price. What will have happened here is that some door switch assemblies are affected by the recall and others are not. By quoting the serial number the manufacturer can establish whether you have a machine that needs attention. There has been mention of different colours of door switches but that may not be a reliable guide.

Whatever make of machine you have it’s best not to leave it on when out of the house or overnight, and to have a working smoke alarm nearby. If it’s in the kitchen a heat alarm is recommended to avoid cooking smoke setting it off. Switching off is also recommended and nowadays its normal to fit convenient switches above worktops rather than hidden behind machines.

Mrs G Crawford says:
10 June 2020

I was informed by email in December 2019 that my washing machine was one of those on the recall list. I was “fortunate” enough to only have to wait 6 1/2 weeks for a replacement. The men delivering it took only 20 minutes to disconnect my old machine, unload, unpack and install the new one. They said they had 16 machines to deliver that day and couldn’t get out of the house fast enough. I was told I was lucky that I’d been “given” a new machine for nothing !
The first time I used it, it hit the max spin cycle & flipped the safety switch on the electricity board – twice. I had no electricity in the whole house and only managed to get it back on when I completely disconnected the machine. I was then left with a machine full of washing and water. It took 4 days for an engineer to come out. He said he couldn’t find anything wrong with the actual machine but suggested the drainage pipe had not been fitted correctly when it was installed . This meant that it could not empty when it tried to spin-and flipped the electricity safety switch. Whirlpool actually tried to charge me for the call out fee.
Now, less than 6 months later, the new machine is faulty again. An engineer has, today, cleared the sump and replaced the pressure switch. As this model has no drainage pipe for emergencies he managed to soak the motor and the circuit board – so they need replacing too and are on order. I have no idea how long this will take. Whirlpool customer services have been most unhelpful and just kept repeating that they are “entitled to repair” rather than replace. At the moment I feel like I’d rather have my old, unsafe but very reliable machine. Funnily enough I never had a single problem with it !

Margaret Howe says:
11 June 2020

My machine was originally listed – I have twice registered it and been told it is ok and safe to use. I received another recall letter today so rang and eventually spoke to advisor. He said it is ok but asked the colour of the door lock. It is grey which is apparently safe. However I still don’t feel confident that they have the problem under control or reassured that my machine is safe to use

John Poynter says:
13 June 2020

I received a letter from Whirlpool in April saying my machine may be due for recall but when I phoned I was told it was safe to use.
Now two months later I have received a letter saying that they have written to me a number of times,which they haven’t,and I have been told my machine should be recalled.
This is so frustrating and I have no confidence in Whirlpool at all.

I have just spent at least 2 hours trying to get through to someone at Whirlpool to no avail all i want is a door hinge for my machine if they supply the part i will fit it myself.
Model is BWD 71252 could somebody please let me know, it has already cost me more in phone calls than the hinge cost. My D@G APP CARE REF NO IS AFCK0009824.

You could try obtaining a door hinge from a company that supplies spares for appliances, Patrick. I’ve generally used eSpares, but there are several other companies as well.

Karen Waites says:
22 June 2020

I have been told I will get a replacement in the next 10 days. How true would you expect this to be?

gaynor says:
7 July 2020

how long have you waited i have been told 2 weeks so far nothing don .t hold your breath

gaynor says:
7 July 2020

If you look on this site it says 500.00 machines have been recalled

gaynor says:
7 July 2020

I have received a letter saying my washing machine is a fire safety risk when I phoned I was informed that I would hear from them within 2 weeks so far nothing. then i phoned after waiting on the phone for 45 mins I got a young lady who told me they had a machine but I could not have it as no delivery drivers around my area but as it said in the letter they had 1,100 staff she said I carn.t do anything else and hung up not good customer service , gaynor

I registered our Hot point machine months ago with the recall programme. We#’d like to get a new machine delivered and fitted. Have been told we have to wait till the lockdown is finished before the service engineers can come into our home and fit the machine. Been without proper laundry facilities since late March. Ridiclious, we have to rely on a neighbour to do our washing. I rang around a month ago and was told we have to wait still because they still can’t come into our home. It’s just excuses I reckon. Not prepared to wait much longer, I’m going to contact them again and if we’re told the same thing I’m going to demand a refund or report them to Whirlpool to Trading Standards. They’re just taking the biscuit, their hope probably is that the longer they make people wait, they’ll just buy a new machine out of desperation and won’t have to bother in the end replacing your machine or repairing it. I’ve heard that some people are having issues with their machines even with models that aren’t on the recall list. I’ll never trust this company again, they obviously don’t care about customer satisfaction or safety.

This is absurd, Katy. Please let us know what Trading Standards have to say about your problem, which could help others.

If they were to deliver the machine and leave it outside, would you be able to handle bringing it in and hooking it up to the water and drainage supply?

If this is something you could manage, I did read somewhere that larger machines that didn’t fit kitchens were being supplied, so if the size of the new machine is important make sure you check the measurements first.

I would be demanding a refund by now. Good luck.

That’s what I would do. There will be transit bolts to remove and the machine will have to be levelled carefully, but all the information will be in the instructions. Washing machines are heavy and carrying one into the house is really a job for two people.

Seems an inexplicable 👎. However the current system generally seems to me to be working well.

John Lewis, for example, are offering home appliance installation services with appropriate precautions – except, currently, in the Leicester area. So if they can organise themselves Whirlpool should be able to – if they had the will.

Whirlpool appear quite oblivious to customer care. I wonder how many are still waiting for their machines to be replaced or repaired.

I am still nowhere nearer understanding why, when Whirlpool take a (very) unreasonably long time to repair or replace a faulty washing machine- or tumble dryer – they are not obliged to offer a refund instead, as the law requires of a retailer. Mind you, that might not be the refund you would like and the law (Consumer Rights Act 2015) only applies for 6 years (5 in Scotland). By the time Whirlpool get round to doing something for many customers their appliances may well have reached this age……..

I have a close relative who is a service engineer whose job involves going into peoples houses all the time. Since the easing of lockdown restrictions he has resumed his normal work armed with plastic gloves and masks which he dons before entering if
peoples circumstances require him to do so.

Unfortunately some companies are using the pandemic as an excuse to cover up present deficiencies in their systems, many still not back to full working capacity. There seems to be a kind of general malaise about at the moment, no doubt due to the after effects of the difficulties experienced during lockdown.

I would advise Katy to follow the advice given above which would seem the only option, given the past disastrous record of Whirlpool, and explain to them it’s important she receives a replacement washing machine ASAP, delivered to her door and arrange for a local plumber or handyman even, to take it into the house and install it. The kind neighbour who has been doing the washing may be able to help or know of someone who could.

Once installed and up and running Katy can then continue to chase whirlpool for compensation or a refund whichever is applicable to Katy’s own particular circumstances. I wish her good luck in her endeavours.

Kevin Brady says:
28 July 2020

Whirlpool offered me a replacement washing machine which was white while my machine is Black No information if the dimensions are the same or any reassurance the washing machine would be removed and the new one being installed and plumed in neither was there any other choices to choose from.

I informed them that I also cannot do the instalment of the machine even if I got it, since due to a heart conditions from 2 years ago and being a vulnerable person.
So I requested if that would be put into writing at least, I never got a yes or a no reply.

After contacting them it was back and forth on Twitter through their DM to add also no luck on the Telephone directly with them.
I think this company who are fault and it is no fault of the customers are penny-pinching & trying it on by giving out cheaper machines. It is like having a 4K OLED Television and offering the customer an old valve Television as a replacement just a different appliance in this case.

It seems I am not the only customer /client going through this issue and the lack of clarity from Whirlpool.

Disgusting behaviour by a so-called reputable company.

My situation & issue is still on going at the time of writing this.

Don Golden says:
29 July 2020

I have a 4 year old Hotpoint washing machine which is not listed as a recall but has suddenly stopped working and has F06 error code on it and the door won’t lock.
Hotpoint are refusing to acknowledge that it is a manufacturer fault and want to charge me for the repair.
I am based in the ROI.
The model number is WMBF944P

Can anyone advise what my options are?

Darren Young says:
31 July 2020

My washing machine WMXTF7429UK is on the list, the engineer came out for a seperate issue and noticed that this model was on the recall list. He said it’s pointless fixing it as you’re entitled to a no machine, just to call the free phone number, which I did. To be told that it isen’t on the recall list. I’ve just checked there and it is on the list.

They have booked an engineer for the repair as the water pours out the bottom right hand side. The recall is for the door mechanism.

Judith says:
3 August 2020

As my machine was leaking in May, I called an engineer. He told me it was on the recall list and gave me a number to ring. I was then told it wasn’t on the list , so another engineer came after a few days.He also told me it was on the list and it was then registered. I have been offered a machine that is too big. I live on my own and am having difficulty in getting things washed. I have spent a long time trying to get through on the phone. What is the problem with giving us all a refund?

Does anybody have an email address for Hotpoint? I want to send a photo of my S/N as they are telling me that the number I have given them is incorrect. Also, when you look at the examples of the labels which are on their website (for my ID registration) my style label is not shown! I phoned the 0800 number and it was answered by a very abrupt foreign speaking male who rattled off the email address and said goodbye before I could repeat the address!! Thanks!

Hi Jennifer – Trying to contact companies by email can be difficult because many don’t publish an email address and expect you to use a web form. You could try something like customer.services@hotpoint.co.uk or customerservices@ and that might work.

While trying to find an email address I found the Resolver website: https://www.resolver.co.uk/companies/hotpoint-complaints/contact-details

I have never used this and have enquired about it on another Conversation. It’s partly owned by Martin Lewis. It would be interesting if you could give us any feedback.

Alastair` Davies says:
9 August 2020

i reported my washing machine in jan heard nothing off them reported it again in april had replie said replasment is on way its now aug had not heard of them since im still got a fire bomb in my kitchen