/ Home & Energy

Have you lost faith in Beko since its fridge freezer “recall”?

Hand reaching for fridge

Beko’s handling of its fridge freezer disaster has come under lots of criticism from the people who matter – its customers. We’ve had over 300 comments about the problem, with many turning their backs on Beko.

Around 500,000 Beko fridge freezers, manufactured between 2000 and 2006, are feared to be a possible fire hazard.

For those certain that they had an affected model, it was a case of desperately trying to get through to Beko on its contact phone number (0800 009 4837 if you need it) in order to book an engineer to come out and fix the fault.

Although most have successfully scheduled an appointment, often after many attempts of ringing up their customer service team, the feeling on our previous Convo is that it hasn’t been a pleasant experience.

In fact, many have said they’re turning their backs on the brand and won’t return.

Bye-bye Beko?

John Screech tried desperately to ring Beko and after he finally got through to someone was promised they’d ring him back – three hours later he’d heard nothing:

‘If this is the best service Beko can offer I never wish to see another of their products.’

Others have already made their mind up that they won’t buy from Beko, like Sue:

‘I am appalled, not least because this experience has changed me from a reasonable human being into a demented harridan! I will never buy any of their products again.’

Kimberley talked candidly to the home appliance manufacturer:

‘Beko you have a lot to answer for here – I have bought many of your products over the years, but I can safely say that I will NEVER purchase another again.’

However, Bosch only last week issued a repair notice about a potential fire hazard on some of its dishwashers. So how did it deal with the problem? Commenter Ron had an affected Bosch dishwasher and said there was ‘no comparison’ between the painless experience he had getting it fixed, and how Beko dealt with its fridge freezer recall.

Some have already started shopping for a non-Beko replacement fridge freezer, like Craig:

‘Spent yesterday afternoon searching for new fridge freezer. Ended up spending £550 on new Bosch, money well spent for the peace of mind.’

Commenter Jane frankly sums up the strength of feeling with the following question, ‘Who in their right mind would buy Beko again after this absolute farce?’

Positive support for Beko

There’s no doubt that there’s been a huge backlash from Beko’s fridge freezer fire hazard, but commenter MartinT thinks the issue has been blown out of proportion:

‘Jeez, some of the comments here are ridiculous. Relax people, log the fault, get your fridge mended and move on with your life.’

Opinion within the industry is also positive, with the editor of Kitchens & Bathrooms News, Philippa Turrell, arguing that Beko should be proud of the way it dealt with the situation:

‘The way it reacted is testament to the hard work of all its employees. It not only increased the capacity of its call centre by 20 times, employing more staff to man the lines, but increased the capacity to modify the faulty appliance by five times. Beko certainly didn’t hide from its responsibilities.’

So are you also content with how the company has dealt with this fridge freezer problem? Or will you now move away from Beko and buy your appliances from other manufacturers?

We’re meeting with Beko next week and will be passing on your questions and concerns to the manufacturer – and I’m sure they’ll be keen to know how they can win your custom back.

Comments
Elfrida Martin says:
14 July 2011

Surely this is a design fault (requiring mass replacement of a particular part) and so classified as an inherent defect. This gives the consumer redress against the retailer for up to 6 years under the UK Sale of Goods Act. David Sanders also pointed out on BBC’s Money Box Live yesterday, that in the event of another fire causing injury or death, the whole supply chain may well share liability. This isn’t just a simple consumer matter: considering the recent inquest into the death of a man caused by his Beko appliance, surely it should be treated with the gravity it deserves?

Hi Elfrida, I can understand your worry and frustration. Unfortunately, from a legal perspective, it’s not easy to make an overall judgement about all the fridge freezers that are believed to be affected. A judge would need to deal with the issue on a case by case basis.

The judge would make their decision based on whether the goods were of ‘satisfactory quality’ under the Sale of Goods Act. They’d be looking at:
(a) fitness for all the purposes for which goods of the kind in question are commonly supplied,
(b) appearance and finish,
(c) freedom from minor defects,
(d) safety, and
(e) durability

As you say, the claim for breach of contract has to be started within 6 years (5 in Scotland) of the date on which the fridge freezer was supplied. As the affected fridge freezers were bought between 5 and 11 years ago, some consumers will be outside of the required time frame to issue a claim against a breach of contract from their retailer.

If you’ve an affected model your best course of action is to contact Beko. We’ve some extra advice here if this helps http://www.which.co.uk/home-and-garden/kitchen/guides/beko-fridge-freezer-fire-risk-qanda/ Hope that helps a little, Charlotte

Serena says:
14 July 2011

In reply to the positive support, I would like to point out that logging your fault and then having your fridge mended would be the obvious easy approch by Beko, but unfortunately myself and alot of other customers of Beko have not had this service. I myself have logged my details both over the phone (after an hours wait) and on the website but was not contacted. On contacting Beko again, I was told that the information had not been processed. In other words I had been ‘forgotten’. I have now contacted Beko on four seperate occasions to be told that an engineer would contact me shortly. I am still waiting. In the meantime I am heavily pregnant with a toddler in the house and a potential fire hazard in my kitchen. I personally think the customer service has been horrendous and I certainly will not be buying a Beko appliance ever again. I will now have to call Beko for the fifth time to ask again why I have not been contacted. It is a disgrace and I am sure the editor of Kitchens and Bathrooms would not be so kind in her review if she had any idea what it has been like for the consumers.

14 July 2011

I am very disappointed with Beko also Comet,I have a burnt out melted light casing,I have also saw someone else on the forum with the same problem and have asked the other Beko owners to chech theirs,you won’t know until you take the casing off,
When I told beko of this problem I was told to take it up with Comet which I did they told me they would send someone out but I will be charged,I told them I dont think that I’ve had reasonable service from the FF and quoted the sale of goods act they then told me ah but you have had yours six years,I then said it’s quite obvious there us a problem with this model so should at least look at the problem before even more people are killed.the after sales service is really bad I will NOT be buying any Beko products in the future and will be passing on my experience to all my family and friends,I feel that a fridge freezer should last more than 6 years….

I’m no expert but, these light casings that are burning – WHY? Fridge bulbs are only a fairly low wattage so the heat generated from the bulb must be very low. They are only on for a few seconds at a time. Has anyone checked to see if the light goes out when the door switch is pressed?

I’m gutted that I bought my parents a new Beko only a couple of weeks ago. If Beko had been up front about these problems earlier, then I wouldn’t have bought it.

Craig has a good point. To check if the light is staying on when the door is closed just feel the lamp casing is warm immediately after opening the door, after it has been closed for a while.

I had this problem with a new Proline fridge. I was suspicious because the compressor was running more than I would have expected.

Checking that the light goes off when the button is pressed does not guarantee that the light goes off when the door is shut. I fixed the problem by sticking a piece of plastic to the door to push the button further in. That was easier than reporting the problem and waiting for an engineer.

Annie82 says:
14 July 2011

It’s now 8 days since BEKO said they’d call me back “today”. In the meantime I live with a fire hazard in the house – I’ll never buy from them again. It’s one thing for there to be a problem and a product recall – but they just aren’t dealing with the problem effectively at all.

Dudley says:
14 July 2011

I have tried contacting BEKO for the recall too many times to remember without success, I left my details on their website last Friday the 8th and had an email back from them to say they will contact me to arrange a visit from an engineer to fit the modification.

I have heard nothing. I am very disappointed with BEKO, What do I do now?

14 July 2011

Hi, have you tried ringing 0800 783 7892?

Dudley says:

Patricia.

Where does that number go through to?

14 July 2011

That’s the number I was told by letter yesterday to ring,I hope this helps you.

Dudley says:
14 July 2011

I have called the BEKO helpline and have now been told that my fridge/freezer is not affected.

Their website confirms it is affected and the email I received last week says they will contact me to arrange an engineer to visit.

Why is the helpline now saying it isnt?

I have now absolutely NO confidence in BEKO and they have lost my trust in their brand.

14 July 2011

Hi, what is your mode and serial number??

Model number I mean.

Dudley says:

Hi Patricia

Model: CDA543FW
Serial: 0510167308

I have checked it on the BEKO website.

14 July 2011

Hi, I would get back to them and tell them your not happy unless they modify the FF… I am far from happy even though they have changed the defrost time,I still have a problem and I don’t think it’s safe,BEko don’t want to know or Comet because I have had it more than 5 years..not happy here…

Hello Dudley

The model you have is certainly one that Beko states will need to be modified so, as Patricia mentions, I would suggest you get back in contact with them, either on 0800 009 4837 or via it’s website https://refsafety.beko.co.uk/.

Please do let me know if they tell you again that it isn’t effected as this is not sounds right.

Sarah B says:
14 July 2011

I will never buy a Beko product again, as i think they couldn’t care less about their customers. It seems quite clear to me they have weighed up the cost of recalling all the faulty products & paying out compensation for lost food items and new fridge freezers against the cost of paying compensation for the really serious damage caused as a result of the faults.

Elfrida Martin says:
15 July 2011

Hi Charlotte: thank you for your reply, which makes the conditions for breach of contract very clear.
However, I think this issue may have rapidly progressed beyond the remit of consumer law.
Like many others, I began by needing to find out if my BEKO fridge-freezer was one of the faulty ones: more recently I have become increasingly concerned about the wider safety implications of the failure of the manufacturer and most retailers to take whatever steps necessary to eliminate the risk to every person who continues to use one of these inherently faulty appliances.
I don’t believe that we are powerless in the face of large companies who are quick to sell their products but slow to initiate appropriate action to guarantee our safety.
Those who make planes constantly monitor design and production, undertake rigorous quality control and lose no time, once a fault has been detected, to prevent that fault from causing harm. Why should companies who place their products in our homes take poorer care, or assume any less responsibility for our safety?

Dudley says:
15 July 2011

Richard / Patricia

I have contacted BEKO again today on their helpline and this time have been told it is IS affected and they will arrange for an engineer to contact me. They were unable to tell me when this would be.

I will update again if and when I hear from an engineer.

Many thanks for the update, Dudley. I hope your CDA543FW is modified soon.

Richard

LT says:
15 July 2011

I received a letter from Beko and my fridge/freezer is affected. I contacted the helpline fairly easily, the details were processed and an appointment arranged for Tuesday of this week between 8am-6pm (with a request for the first appointment due to work commitments). So far so good.

I waited at home all day. I called the helpline a few times for updates, but they could not give me any information about when the engineer would arrive. Eventually at 5.15pm Comet (who I assume are handling the repairs) called to say that the engineer would not be coming – he had broken down and they had just found out! As I was clearly livid, they arranged for an engineer to come on Saturday between 8am-1pm. This was done for me as I had experienced so much inconvenience.

I am very unhappy about the service I received from Beko on Tuesday. Whenever I called I was given different information. I understand they have many units to deal with, but they should be able to put in place a system that serves their customers. At all times during the process I felt as if I was inconveniencing them.

Let’s see if I have any success tomorrow.

I definitely will not be buying any other Beko products in the future.

15 July 2011

Hi, I totally agree with you,I won’t be dealing with Beko or Comet in the future.

LT says:
18 July 2011

The part was finally replaced on my Beko fridge/freezer on Saturday – not between 8am-1pm as they had promised, but the engineer finally came at 3.30pm. He had called during the morning to say he would be with me between 1pm-3pm (he said an earlier job would take longer than expected).

At 3.15pm I called Comet and then Beko to find out if the engineer was actually coming (given my experience on the previous occasion) and no-one could tell me. As the Service Centre was closed on Saturday, they told me they had no way of contacting the engineer.

To date I have had no problems with my Beko product, but I am disgusted by the lack of Customer Service shown by Beko and Comet. They could not give me any precise information about the time of the engineer’s visit, and gave the impression that I was unreasonable to expect this. It was always my time that was wasted, not theirs.

As I said before, I will not buy any Beko products in future or shop at Comet.

I’m moving to a new house where there was an existing Beko fridge/freezer. I have decided not to use it but to buy a new one. Any recommendations on latest models of energy efficient standalone fridge/freezer ?

Hi cduffy

If the Beko fridge freezer in the new house is not one of the models effected by this issue (see https://refsafety.beko.co.uk/), then you shouldn’t have any problems with it. BUT if you are set of purchasing a new fridge freezer I’d advise you to go to http://www.which.co.uk/home-and-garden/kitchen/reviews/fridge-freezers/. There you will find over 150 models and, if it is the most energy efficient ones you are interested in, the product picker will allow you to filter on the A, A+ & A++ rated ones.

Good luck with the house move

Richard

Cliff Lawson says:
15 July 2011

We’ve had a Beko fridge for 20 years and Hotpoint fridge and freezer for 15. The Hotpoint fridge just died. We were going to take this opportunity to get a US style fridge but realized there’s no door in our house it would fit through so we’re getting upright fridge and freezer separately. Both are coming from Beko because, while all around are dying, our existing one just keeps on truckin’. Sure they may have had a manufacturing fault (more than a decade after ours was bought) but this won’t put us off buying Beko again. So to answer your introductory question – no we haven’t lost faith in Beko.

Cliff

16 July 2011

What a brave man.I think that years ago goods were made to last and they did,it’s a shame that today they don’t last as long as you would like them too,I honestly don’t think that 6 years is a too much to ask for,Beko and Comet think that’s reasonable, I feel I am very lucky that our fridge freezer did not catch fire while I was away,yes Beko have fitted the new defrost timer but no one wants to know about my burnt out bulb casing even though other people have had the same problem ,I think that it’s been swept under the carpet let’s not say we have another problem ,NEVER will I buy Beko or purchase from Comet…

I’ve had the familiar experience of logging my details with Beko and receiving emails telling me that an engineer will arrange a visit, but nothing more. What bothers me is that there is no indication as to how long we can expect to wait, especially as this is the holiday season with many homes unoccupied for long periods. I appreciate that the numbers of affected appliances are large and there’s a limit to the rate at which they can be dealt with, but just how long are we likely to have to wait? If Which staff are meeting with Beko could they ask about this please?
Leo

My first Beko frost free fridge freezer lasted 18 months, the motor ended up running non-stop & eventually burnt itself out….unrepairable & replaced under extended warranty (free). The second replacement, same model, lasted just over 2 years, again unrepairable, but outside warranty period. I eventually purchased an Indesit after having had an Indesit dishwasher for nearly 20 years and never needing a repair (it finally died a few months ago, aged 22 years!)

16 July 2011

Hi Casper, they should have fixed it for you under the sale of goods act,you have up to six years I believe,Beko or Comet dont want to know about my dangerous fridge freezer has I’ve had it six year they reckon what a cop out eh,I’m telling all my family and friends to stay away from Beko,I might even do a protest outside Comet..

Hi Patricia
we tried but they didnt want to know & it was mid-summer so I was desperate for a fridge, so just bought a new one.
I’ll join you in the protest !

16 July 2011

Comet tried to refuse me when I had four microwaves faulty from them,I contacted trading standards and they soon changed their tune,I wanted a different model has the hitachi one kept on cracking in half a known problem,thanks to trading standards I got it sorted,it’s bad that we have to fight all the time for FairPlay.
Ok re the protest just bring your hat and scarf it’s like winter here at the moment in South Wales…

anna minogue says:
16 July 2011

I contacted the Beko helpline last week (Saturday 9th July) It was confirmed that my fridge freezer was one of the affected models. The man took my details and told me someone would contact me within 48 hours to arrange for an engineer to come and replace the faulty part. No one contacted me. I called again on Tuesday July 12th. This time the woman, who began every other sentence with the words ‘ now don’t be angry madam’ went on to inform me that there was nothing that could be done except for a complaint to be made on my behalf to the reapirs department. ‘Now, dont be angry madam, but I’ll do that straight away and then someone will definitely call you back very soon to arrange for an appointment’ No one called me. Today ( Saturday 16th) I called the helpline again. The man seemed unsurprised – in fact he finsihed my sentence for me ‘…and no one contacted you’. He also said there was nothing he could do, but suggested I contact the repairs line direct which I did, only to discover that they are closed at weekends. ABSOLUTELY HOPELESS. Next stop BBC Watchdog.

16 July 2011

Hi, I was wondering has the Beko Fridge Freezers been on watchdog yet?? Beko will end up changing their name the way things are going,real bad service from Beko and Comet.
Did youknow the fires with these fridge freezers started 4 years ago?..

Hi, great to see these comments everyone. Remember we’re meeting with Beko next week so we’ll pass on your questions and concerns, so make sure to share them before it’s too late.

16 July 2011

Please ask Beko are they aware there is a
Problem with the light casing burning/melting ,I know I am not the only one to have this problem…many thanks..

Elfrida Martin says:
17 July 2011

Here is the latest report from RAPEX, the European rapid alert system for dangerous products http://bit.ly/qfzDsH
Not sure why BEKO isn’t there…perhaps next week?