/ Home & Energy

Beko should have acted faster on fridge freezer fires

Fridge freezer

If you own a 5 to 11 year old Beko fridge freezer (not a standalone fridge or freezer), check your model number, as they have been linked to 20 fires in London over the last three years.

The London Fire Brigade has put out an urgent fire warning to owners of up to 500,000 Beko fridge freezers, following a tower block fire last week.

Newer models don’t have the fault, so don’t worry if you’ve bought one in the last four years.

Although Beko has taken some steps to contact customers with the affected models, it hasn’t acted very swiftly – it knew there was a problem with these fridge freezers last June. Why did it take the company over a year to make this safety problem public?

Do you own a Beko fridge freezer?

The fault relates to the fridge’s defrost timer, which can fail and overheat when water gets into it, leading to an electrical malfunction.

Beko says it has tracked down and sent letters to 200,000 customers, and made modifications to 11,000 appliances so far. But ultimately, more needs to be done to ensure all customers are protected; not just those Beko has contact details for.

If you have a Beko fridge freezer that is 5 to 11 years old, check the model numbers on Which.co.uk to see if yours is affected. If it is, call Beko immediately to ask what steps need to be taken.

Do you own a Beko fridge freezer? Have you had any problems with it so far? Did you receive a letter from Beko asking you to get in touch, or maybe the company has already modified your fridge freezer?

Comments
Patricia jones says:
9 July 2011

A British gas engineer fitted a part yesterday,I told him that the bulb casing had burnt inside and melted he told me to contact beko as this is a DIfferent problem,I am not happy at all as this happened while I was away,I have just read another persons post on here stating that they also have a burnt out bulb casing,SO Beko what are you going to do re the fridge freezers that also have the burn out bulb casing….I have a replacement bulb here but am to scared to put it in as the burning might start again…Beko what. Are you going to do about it????

Patricia jones says:
9 July 2011

I think that everyone else should check inside the bulb casing to see if it’s burnt out,you won’t know until you take the cover off to change the bulb other wise,I see that another person on here has got the same problem…please check to be safe!!!!

Patricia jones says:
9 July 2011

This BBC report says Beko fridge freezer fires began four years ago: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14082886

[Thanks for the comment Patricia, but there needs be some explanation about what the link refers to, which we’ve now added in. Please refer to our Commenting Guidelines if in doubt. Thanks, mods.]

Sarah says:
9 July 2011

Within 2 minutes of reading the Which article I telephoned the 0800 783 7892 helpline and immediately got through.
Booked in for Friday 15th.
Fingers crossed.

Tried for 3 days to contact beko via the helpline No, sent 3 e-mails, finally got through via the phone at 8.30pm in a queue for 87 minutes only to be told the earliest repair date they could give me is 16th august. checked my e-mails today and found a reply from beko stating that i had not given them enough information to book an engineers call. there helpline only asked for model No, serial No and a contact phone No for them to return a call. very disappointed with the call center operative who was more interested in liverpools new signing than booking a call out no wonder i was on hold for so long

Mitchell says:
9 July 2011

This is really poorly managed. It is not just BEKO it is LEC too. My fridge freezer is flooding and the seal has broken too. We only discovered by chance it appears to be an at risk product TF2304W after the phonelines closed on Friday. So am I supposed to have a fire until I can phone them on Monday? What am I supposed to do? The freezer is full and the fridge is 3/4 full.

Hi Mitchell – hope you’ve managed to contact Lec since you posted this. A note to any other Lec fridge freezer owners: the discontinued white Lec TF2304W fridge freezer, manufactured between January 2004 and October 2006, features the same faulty defrost timer as the affected Beko models. According to the company, this is the only Lec model affected.

Lec’s parent company GDHA is asking customers with this appliance to arrange for a repairer to carry out the free modification by ringing 0800 110 5728 between 8am and 6pm, Monday to Friday. This number is for Lec customers only, they won’t be able to help Beko f-f owners.

More info here: http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/advice/advice-recall-item.cfm?id=273106

marie says:
9 July 2011

ive been trying for 3 days now,they wont even answer the phone now or let you wait they say go to website and put your details in they will be in touch.Thing is im really worried and have been testing my smoke alarms before i go to bed. I go away in a few weeks and will be leaving my older sons at home not very nice what the hell is going on.will not use beko again

BEKO Employee says:
9 July 2011

phone 0800 783 7892 straight through to BEKO!

Rang Beko 10 days ago as my number matched one of thos eon the warning. Date agreed immediately for British Gas to fix it. Received an automated call 2 days prior to repair. Fixed yeterday and took about 20 mins. Very relieved that it is now done.

marie says:
9 July 2011

just got hold of beko apparently they are going to call me back to make an appointment fingers crossed,altho she did tell me my fridge freezer wasnt on the list,when i filled in the online form it told me my fridge frezer was on the list so a bit confused

PATRICIA JONES says:
9 July 2011

What number do we need to ring re the burning/melting of the bulb casing,as I said in a earlier post the engineer fitted the other part yesterday but told me that the burning inside of the bulb casing was a DIFFERENT PROBLEM..
PLEASE CHECK YOURS FOLKS!!!!

BEKO Employee says:
9 July 2011

Would have to be the BEKO customer services and not the booking line.

Beko`s Customer services number is 01923 818121 but it is closed weekends i believe.

Mike says:
1 March 2012

This is caused by the light switch cutting through the door liner and is totally different to the serious fault

Hi Carole,

Yes please do contact me off line regarding my post on Friday at 1.54.

Spent yesterday afternoon serching for new fridge freezer. Ended up spending £550 on new Bosch, money well spent for the peace of mind. Anyway the engineer has disabled mine because of singns of burning – lost about £120 of food. I will be expecting Beko to contribute somewhat to my unexpected expense. Contacted Beko yesterday afternoon but they will not commit to anything at the moment as they are waiting for the Oncall engineers report.

Insurance company (Lloyds) will cover the cost of food lost eventhough the engineer has disabled the f/freezer. Don’t see why I should loose my no claims and have to pay £50 excess though.

Has anyone else had the same thing happen to them?

Jason Kee says:
10 July 2011

I asked Beko about compensation for loss of food. They replied saying they had no warranty obligation. I suggested they have a moral obligation but have not heard back.

Sarah B says:
9 July 2011

We bought a Beko frost-free fridge freezer from Comet in 2007 but had to get rid of it a couple of months ago as it developed a fault. The temperature started to go up, the freezer was freezing up, and the smell of gas was awful. We thought there must be a leak. As it was outwith the warranty period we decided to just buy a new one (not a Beko!). I’m thinking now that it’s quite possible it was one of the Beko models affected by the defrost timer fault, but haven’t kept anything with the model/serial number on it so can’t be sure. We haven’t recieved any communication from Beko or Comet.
I suppose it was fortunate we got rid of it when we did.

Audrey Fraser says:
9 July 2011

l purchased a beko fridge freezer in August 2008 l also took out curry’s whatever happens insurance. Come tuesday 15th July l will have had my seventh engineer call out. Despite claiming to be frost free, it never has been. On tuesday the fridge freezers 3rd thermostat will be fitted. the fridge is currently freezing everything like milk etc again. l asked for my fridge freezer to be relaced a year ago, but was told all they can do is keep sending an engineer out, despite my complaints that l’ve already taken 6 holidays for the so called repair. Will never buy beko ever again.

Mandy E says:
9 July 2011

I have a faulty Beko brought from comet, i have not been able to get through to them, i have a disabled daughter and baby, so i am sleeping downstairs just incase there is a fire my serial number begins 04 and model is csb4606ffw, hope they call soon or i will have to borrow money to buy an new one and peace of mind.

BEKO Employee says:
23 July 2011

Have you been in contact yet? Lines are quiet so i suggest calling in as your appliance is one of the affected models.

C Boundy says:
10 July 2011

Three weeks ago my stainless steel Beko Fridge freezer caught fire at 10.15pm n a friday night. My 10 yrs and 5 yrs girls were up and we were petrified. I could smell a faint smell for a bout 2 days but did not know where it was coming from. I was about to go to bed when i noticed a stronger smell looked at fridge it had smoke and yellow flames coming from behind it. We had great difficulty pulling the fridge out the fire brigade turned up and said we were lucky. Who can i contact about this as i was never informed of the fault. We got fridge 5 years ago.

Patricia jones says:
10 July 2011

Hi, I have been told to ring 01923818121, I will be ringing them as the engineer said I have another problem as the inside of the bulb casing has burnt out,I can see another post on here that it has happened to them also…I urge everyone to check as you won’t know until you take the cover off..I am glad that your ok…I feel very unhappy that this beko fridge freezer is still not safe…p.s the above number is mon /fri I’ve been told..

L Metcalfe says:
10 July 2011

Beko replaced the part on my mum’s fridge freezer but it broke down that evening. It wasn’t repaired for four days. Beko are refusing to pay compensation for the lost food!

Johnny R says:
14 July 2011

L Metcalfe: Same here. Our fridge/freezer was ‘repaired’ on Tuesday morning 12/3 by a British Gas engineer. Got in from work yesterday and it had stopped working. Called the 0800 number and the main customer service line and was promised that I would be called back “as soon as possible”. Still nothing. Have been chasing them up all day and as yet I have not had a single call from them. Worrying that you say it took 4 days for them to fix your Mum’s f/f, and even more worrying that they are offering nothing for lost food.

Lucca says:
10 July 2011

Carole,

How can we find reports about out other fridge/freezer types can also cause fire.

I am lucky to be alive. I had fire 4 years ago which was caused by old Philips freezer which had motor at the bottom.

Jill says:
11 July 2011

Considering its took Beko so long to do this recall mine is going to the scrap yard even though its still working fine. I have 2 kids in the house and will never have faith in Beko as a company again … there could be more faults with these models … how do we know ??? Quite disgraceful really.

Hi all – another update: police are to investigate the death of a man who perished in a house fire in November 2010 caused by a faulty Beko fridge freezer. Here’s our coverage on which.co.uk:

This is obviously very sad, and worrying – we’ll be following developments. It’s worth repeating what Beko said in its official statement, though:’Over 500,000 of these products have been sold, and most have been safely in use, some for over ten years… The risk to consumers is extremely low.’

I also thought I’d share a video clip that Beko has posted on YouTube – might come in handy if you’re checking for the model number on your Beko fridge freezer:

As I posted on Friday, my f/freezer was disconnected by the engineer because of signs of scorching around the connector to the defrost timer.

Just had a call from the company who attempted the repair, to say that they are sending the report to Beko. Waiting to see what they are going to do about my losses – f/freezer and contents.

Anyone who has lost freezer contents due to this issue my be able to claim off their insurance. Insurance Co may then try to recover costs from Beko.

Jo says:
11 July 2011

Hi,
Just a quick piece of advice for anyone who hasnt checked their fridge !!

We had a Beko fridge freezer until 2 years ago….when it caught fire in the middle of the night. We are only alive now due to the smoke alarms in our house which alerted us allowing us to escape with the help of our neighbours though the roof .The fire caused extensive damage to our house and we had to move out for 5 months.

I am still waiting for the letter to advise us that our fridge is one of the faulty ones
Please if in any doubt check, and get your friends, family , neighbours and even enemys to check theirs

Patricia jones says:
11 July 2011

Hi jo, sorry to hear about your fire,have you by any chance the model number? I don’t feel safe even though the engineer has fitted the new part,we have OTHER problems with it,just waiting for the Beko engineer to call to make another visit..