/ Home & Energy

Beko should have acted faster on fridge freezer fires

Fridge freezer

If you own a 5 to 11 year old Beko fridge freezer (not a standalone fridge or freezer), check your model number, as they have been linked to 20 fires in London over the last three years.

The London Fire Brigade has put out an urgent fire warning to owners of up to 500,000 Beko fridge freezers, following a tower block fire last week.

Newer models don’t have the fault, so don’t worry if you’ve bought one in the last four years.

Although Beko has taken some steps to contact customers with the affected models, it hasn’t acted very swiftly – it knew there was a problem with these fridge freezers last June. Why did it take the company over a year to make this safety problem public?

Do you own a Beko fridge freezer?

The fault relates to the fridge’s defrost timer, which can fail and overheat when water gets into it, leading to an electrical malfunction.

Beko says it has tracked down and sent letters to 200,000 customers, and made modifications to 11,000 appliances so far. But ultimately, more needs to be done to ensure all customers are protected; not just those Beko has contact details for.

If you have a Beko fridge freezer that is 5 to 11 years old, check the model numbers on Which.co.uk to see if yours is affected. If it is, call Beko immediately to ask what steps need to be taken.

Do you own a Beko fridge freezer? Have you had any problems with it so far? Did you receive a letter from Beko asking you to get in touch, or maybe the company has already modified your fridge freezer?

Comments
paul johnson says:
7 July 2011

i didn’t have that big a problem getting through to beko, my problem has been getting the engineer here, i had a 8am – 1pm time slot to be fixed today but nobody turned up, i called the helpline and they unable to contact engineer, i know they must be busy but is very poor service not to call to explain the delay. i had not been able to stay and wait due to hospital appointment so will have to go through all this again..would it be quicker and give ease of mind just to buy a brand new, non beko fridge?

ann says:
7 July 2011

i’ve finally got thru to on hold after 3 days of trying! i’ll post back later after i know how long on hold i am but at least not been cut off! yay!

Anne says:
7 July 2011

I recently called 0800 783 7892 number and got through quite quickly (within 3 mins), operator was very helpful and effcient, if a little stressed!
Earliest day for engineer though is 20th July now!
Hope you all get sorted quickly.

John Meredith says:
7 July 2011

Having only just discovered that there is a problem with BEKO fridge freezers I have been attempting to find out if my appliance is affected. However my model number does not match any os those issued as having a problem, but the serial number begins with 06 and was purchased in June 2006.
My issue is that this appliance was declared caput in December 10 when I complained to BEKO about the standard of there appliances and the life expectancy, surely more that 4 years! I had the appliance checked over and was informed that the compressor was faulty, I have since had to purchase a new appliance.
My query is therefore twofold. 1 – How can I check if my appliance was indeed at risk, and 2 – Can I claim the cost of my new appliance back from BEKO. All help greatfully recieved.
Scott

ann says:
7 July 2011

can you not get online with the serial number and model number?

ann says:
7 July 2011

45 minutes on hold, engineer out on 20th july 8am-6pm. bit annoyed with the all day waiting but it is british gas and they tend to phone when they’re about 10 mins away to make sure your in so not completely housebound! (ie need to get son too and from school)

John Meredith says:
7 July 2011

Thanks Ann, the model number I have begins with 5410, in between the 39 and 43. The serial number begins with 06, which it states is a recall, just looking for clearer guidance before contacting BEKO.

ann says:
7 July 2011

if you go onto their website, theres a 3 second form that will tell you if its possibly affected or not. if that checks out ok, you should be fine.

Sandy says:
7 July 2011

UPDATE: Three days later and I still can’t get hold of our Beko friends. I requested a call back via email on the day the new broke, and I explained that my model/serial number was one of the baddies and to delay matters they emailed back asked what model/serial number it was? Why on earth do they suggest sending an email to call back when they don’t even call, and they should also tell you on the website exactly what info you have to send via email….Grrr….
If I could afford it I’d go and buy a new fridge/freezer and not living to far from Beko’s head office in Watford I’d dump this one right on their forecourt….BEKO GET A GRIP THIS IS PEOPLE’S LIVES YOUR PLAYING WITH.

Sandy says:

Sorry bad grammar, I mean News 🙂

Mr P says:
7 July 2011

why cant beko recall all fridge freezers and do a free replacement fridge freezer with the outlet you bought it from they know who has got the faulty fridge freezers because they sent letters to people who has i.e faulty ones and now ur on the phone for ages also u dont really go into a shop to buy faulty goods so BEKO do the right thing instead of doing things on the cheap with a screwdriver and mr fixit

Mrs Wright says:
25 July 2011

Taken a day off work unpaid today to wait for the (on call) engineer to arrive for his slot of 8-6pm, called into them 3 times to be told he is on his way, 4th call about to be made 7.40pm as still no engineer arrived, call centre unable to contact engineer and have no idea when this will be rebooked. I reported our F/F over 2 weeks ago and said it had a major problem as it is overheating and causing the socket to blow the fuse. We had put this down to a faulty socket until we heard about the issues with the F/F. So even when they know there is a potential serious case of one causing a fire they still dont treat it any differently… I have spoken to a very pleasant call centre person 7.40pm, he has apologised and checked my mobile number, no explanation as to why engineer not turned up, he has promised to escalate the issue we already have and will call be back tomorrow after 9am, I have asked for an urgent visit tomorrow afternoon, we shall see if they keep there promise of calling back in the morning and see if I get an urgent visit, I am not holding my breath, 3 extra smoke alarms purchased, one at the side of the F/F, one in the dining room and one in the hallway to the bedrooms… not much good when we all work full time, if a fire started when we were out no one would hear them and we’d come home to a burnt out shell…

Kimberley says:
7 July 2011

Am seriously not impressed with BEKO!! Tried calling 0800 number yesterday about 50 times after hearing about fault on the news only to get 3 rings, a recorded message and then be cut off!! I would advise anyone who hasnt got through yet to keep trying whatever the time as I managed to get through to them at 7.13am today (even though the recorded telephone messgae states office dosen’t open until 8am). Can’t believe they have known about this fault since June 2010 – does anyone else think that some sort of compensation should be in order – either a new product or money? While I will accept that the fault has to be rectified on my fridge/freezer it still dosen’t give me the peace of mind to sleep well at night safe in the knowledge that it may not catch fire, but seeing as I have 2 young children I will have to accept this measure. Have tests been run on a model after the modification? While we may not have suffered the trauma of a house fire or injury like some that is just sheer luck for us – Beko you have a lot to answer for here – I have bought many of your products over the years but I can safely say that I will NEVER purchase another product again and will be contacting Trading Standards first thing tomorrow morning (without having to try approx 50 times before getting an answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Hi Carole
I finally got through at 7.25pm and then held on for another 65 minutes to speak to an advisor.An engineer will call next Tues.
I hope Beko will learn from this experience. It is absolutely unacceptable to send out a letter, create anxiety and then set up an extremely inadequate contact system for their customers. I tried to phone many,many times a day for 7 days, emailed with no response and got increasingly stressed and angry. Beko claim to be ‘a responsible manufacturer’ – I am appalled, not least because this experience has changed me from a reasonable human being into a demented harridan!! I will never buy any of their products again, They have a lot to answer for.

jean says:
7 July 2011

i have tried constantly to get throuth for 2 days with no luck – just recorded message. will beko answer before i get burned to death ??????

Fridge engineer says:
7 July 2011

I appreciate how frustrated you all our trying to contact Beko, but did any of you know that Samsung went through a similar product modification programme in 2009 regarding the possibility of there American Style Fridge Freezers catching fire or Hoover had quite a few of their gas hobs modified after a batch of faulty gas seals were found. We have been fitting the mod kit for about 6 weeks now, if the media hadn’t got hold of it the first that most of you would have known about it was a letter landing on your door mat. I feel that some of the comments on here towards Beko are a bit unfair after all this has also happened to Samsung and Hoover not what you would call cheap brands. Companies don’t put products into the Market place without through testing unfortunately some faults don’t become apparent until a while after the product has been in the field.

Paul says:
7 July 2011

My wife and i have tried tirelessly to contact the Beko telephone number. it is on a permanent answer machine, we have tried all hours of the day and night. we are very concerned as we do have a f/freezer which is effected. We have installed a fire alarm in our garage (where it is situated) but we would not hear this when we are asleep upstairs. Surely if they are refusing to answer the phone we are within our rights to go and buy a new fridge freezer and send Beko the bill? We managed to email them yesterday and still havent had a reply, thanks Beko for all your help; what a disgrace!!

Morning everyone – just to let you know that we’ve pulled out some of the experiences people have been contributing to this Conversation thread into our news coverage on Which.co.uk:

It’s good to hear that some of you are eventually getting through to Beko – keep sharing your stories…

Matty O says:
8 July 2011

Got through immediately on the 0800 783 7892 number

I own an older Beko with a serial number starting ’00’ – cause to contact Beko immediately, as stated on the website

However I have been told the model is unaffected owing to a difference in manufacturer year and serial number year (???)

We’re very sorry if you’re trying to make comments on Which? Conversation – at the moment they’re not coming through. We’re working to fix this as quickly as possible. In the meantime, if you’d like to email your comments to us through our Contact Us form https://conversation.which.co.uk/contact-us we can make sure we get them up for you. Thanks.

BEKO Employee says:
8 July 2011

I am currently working on the BEKO support team and dealing with this issue.

If you have one of the model affected on the list, please check your serial number, which is located INSIDE your fridge behind the salad / veg trays on the wall of the fridge. If your number starts with 07/08/09/10 or 11 your F/F is not affected.

As the phone lines are especially busy with the number of calls received, you can also call the 0800 783 7892 number as this was at first only for COMET customers, this line is now open to all retailers.

If you have submitted a request on the BEKO website, please be patient as we are working through a huge list of customers and calling them to book jobs. Due to the number of requests the turn around for this is within 48 hours to receive a call back and book a job.

Depending on the area you live the earliest engineer visit is from 1 week up to 4 weeks in rural areas. *** All Engineer visits are all day slots and we cannot narrow this down to a specific time, BUT the engineer will give a 1 hour courtesy call to inform when he is expected to arrive. **

To inform everyone, we are taking on more employees everyday in both call centers and field engineers to get the call and visit dates down to a earlier time.

Thanks BEKO employee 🙂

Manda says:
8 July 2011

Right i cannot sleep am worried sick.. although my model number does not seem to be on the list i found my serial number is 04. I have noticed recently how hot the edge around the freezer door is getting!! I have been calling the 08000094837 number but cannot get through and surprise surprise the website is down!!
Serial number 0410255307
Model number CGA 995 6FFS
Has anyone got same product who has actually managed to get through??

ann says:
9 July 2011

its probably a bit late but i couldn’t re-post earlier – i checked your s/n and m/n online and it said that it was NOT an affected product. hope this eases your mind a bit but obviously still try and get thru if your worried x

Brian says:
8 July 2011

BEKO Fridge Freezer. I’ve checked the web-site and found my appliance could be one affected by this fault.
How are you supposed to contact these guys? The 0800 783 7892 helpline number , if you ever get through, will only deal with issues for those who purchased their appliance from COMET.
( I bought mine from CURRYS).

The service helpline on 0800 009 4837 is now simply a recording saying thay cannot take calls at present? Not very helpful.

e-mails to the company service centre remain unanswered.!

Any suggestions?

Susan says:
8 July 2011

I purchased one of the affected models for my Dad (a pensioner) a few years ago from a power seller on ebay. It was brand new, a good price and fast delivery – but I didn’t check the label inside the fridge when it arrived, as if I had, I would have found that the serial number had been ripped off (and alarm bells would have rang!).

When I heard about the problem I tried to get through on the number provided on their website (it wouldn’t let me fill out the registration because I didn’t have the serial number). The number just provides an answering service which directs you back to the website before cutting you off.
However, one of the recently posted comments on Which,gave another number to ring – 0800 783 7892. I have just called it and got straight through to a very helpful young man. We have an appointment for Tuesday 12th, so I guess it depends on where you live – as I don’t think I would have been very happy if we had to wait as long as some of the others who posted comments.