/ Home & Energy

Beko should have acted faster on fridge freezer fires

Fridge freezer

If you own a 5 to 11 year old Beko fridge freezer (not a standalone fridge or freezer), check your model number, as they have been linked to 20 fires in London over the last three years.

The London Fire Brigade has put out an urgent fire warning to owners of up to 500,000 Beko fridge freezers, following a tower block fire last week.

Newer models don’t have the fault, so don’t worry if you’ve bought one in the last four years.

Although Beko has taken some steps to contact customers with the affected models, it hasn’t acted very swiftly – it knew there was a problem with these fridge freezers last June. Why did it take the company over a year to make this safety problem public?

Do you own a Beko fridge freezer?

The fault relates to the fridge’s defrost timer, which can fail and overheat when water gets into it, leading to an electrical malfunction.

Beko says it has tracked down and sent letters to 200,000 customers, and made modifications to 11,000 appliances so far. But ultimately, more needs to be done to ensure all customers are protected; not just those Beko has contact details for.

If you have a Beko fridge freezer that is 5 to 11 years old, check the model numbers on Which.co.uk to see if yours is affected. If it is, call Beko immediately to ask what steps need to be taken.

Do you own a Beko fridge freezer? Have you had any problems with it so far? Did you receive a letter from Beko asking you to get in touch, or maybe the company has already modified your fridge freezer?

Comments
Lorraine says:
7 July 2011

I have one of the affected appliances.My fridge/freezer broke down a few years ago and through the wonders of google i determined it was the defrost timer at fault and fixed it myself .Will this be a problem if i want Beko to fix it?? I dont know because i cant get through on the phone.

Hi Carole
Thanks for that. Have sent email and tried 0800 and 01923 numbers again. Will advise if I get lucky!!
Sue

ann says:
7 July 2011

I’ve been trying to get through for days via phone and email (i live in bexley area) and am personally disgusted that they have not got the appropriate amount of staff in to deal with this. its bad enough they kept it quiet for so long, but they knew they would be overwhelmed with calls and repairs as soon as it went public so there is absolutly no excuse for this.
like everyone else, i’ve turned my fridge freezer off because i have a young child and will not knowingly have a dangerous appliance working.

dm says:
7 July 2011

try calling 08007837892, i spoke to my friend about mine this morning and she discovered she too has a faulty one, i gave her this no which the engineer gave me and she got right through. good luck

Terri says:
7 July 2011

i was just wondering if this issue is definitly only to do with the fridges with serial no’s upto 06 as i have an 08 model and am still very scared and worried about it. i have looked on the online checker and it said it was fine but i have no trust in the product now and have not slept for the last 2 days since hearing the news about them. I have two very young children and also live in a tiny flat so all our rooms are off a landing and our bedrroms are also very close to the kitchen which is very worrying if anyone could please give me some reassurance on the issue i would be very grateful thanks 🙂

Wendy says:

Hi Terri

Yes i too have an 08 model and it does still give you some concern, but Beko and other websites have stated that freezers purchased in the last 4 year are not affected and do not have the fault.
Having said this, it does still make you doubt their products and I am sure that in the future Beko will be losing alot of customers because of this problem (me included)
I have also now purchased another smoke alarm to situate closer to the Kitchen just as a precaution. I feel so sorry for anyone that does have an affected model and cannot get any help as they are unable to get through to report it.

Terri says:
7 July 2011

just thought i would let u know that i have been on alot of sites today concerning this issue and found that one had upto 08 on it, i for 1 am trying to source another fridge by another brand and as soon as i have beko are gone from my life for good 🙂 bye bye beko

I am also worried as my model number is in the list of affected ones but I only purchased it one year ago. I havent been able to check the serial number yet though as i am at work.

I managed to get through yesterday afternoon about 4.30 on 0800 number, I was on the phone about 15 mins. Engineer coming out tomorrow (Worcester area). I would advise trying phoning during rush hour when alot of people are traveling home. Good luck!

Wendy says:

Hi SK

Yours should be ok if you only purchased it 1 year ago. It does say that its only freezers purchased betwen 00 and 06 that have the fault. It does state at the top of this website aswell as on the Beko ‘important safety notice’ that later models are not affected, so hopefully this will give you a little reassurance

Thanks Wendy.

Faith Tyler says:
7 July 2011

I emailed Beko on tuesday as I have one of the fridge freezers on their list but have had no reply and no phone call to arrange an engineer to call. What happens next?

Claire says:
7 July 2011

I own one of the affected f/f and like everybody else am finding their unhelpful helpline a total joke! Where do I find out where I stand as to a refund because i just don’t trust them at all now since they knew about this prob in June 2010! They are a total disgrace and should hang their heads in shame!

Claire says:
7 July 2011

The 0800 7837892 number is for Comet customers ONLY .. I nearly fell off my chair when it was answered immediately! Unfortunately mine wasn’t from Comet 🙁 So will have to keep trying the other number.

Lisa Cole says:
7 July 2011

Thank you for sharing the alternative phone number, I have finally managed to log my details with them and am awaiting a call from an engineer as I have an affected model. I think Beko have handled this badly – I read that they knew about this fault a year ago, and really they should have been prepared for the response to the news that their product has the potential to kill – of course people will want to speak to a member of staff and not have a recorded message or a non-existant web presence. I know the odds are slim, but it is hard to sleep soundly with your family when you know there is a fire risk inside the house.

Clare says:
7 July 2011

Thanks to all the good advice – I have just got through on the 08007837892 no. They organised an engineer for the 16th – not too long to wait, though he did say that the engineers work diaries are nearly all full up !

chris says:
7 July 2011

after being told this morning about the dangers and having an affected model, itried all morning to get through. i then kept calling 01923 818121 and managed to get through at 12 0 clock dinner time.I spoke to the lady who took my details and said someone would call me back. Still waiting it is now 20 past 4. I know that i will not sleep tonight because of the danger.I dont think i will feel safe with the fridge freezer again even when the fault is corrected.

@chris Sounds to me like you may need to get back onto the 0800 009 4837 number. Someone posted earlier that they found it easier to get through during ‘rush-hour’ as there were not as many people trying to call.

Emma Tate says:
7 July 2011

I’m not sure which phone no. to try! My sister-in-law got through to 0800 7837892 which is Comet but they told her that as she wasn’t on their database they couldn’t do anything and told her to phone Beko direct on 0800 009 4837. I know my fridge was from Comet, but I’d be cross if I spent all day trying their number and then got told to ring somewhere else!

Claire says:
7 July 2011

All this because everyones panicking that something MIGHT happen, and rightly so! But what about the families that HAVE been affected? A total number isn’t even out there, just figures for London, where 15 have been hurt and 1 dead! … This will be the first word from BEKO up to date that I’ve heard, well unless you count thanking me for my patience and then cutting my call dead! FUMING!!!!!

Claire says:

Not good enough Beko!

Claire says:
7 July 2011

‘Contact us’ <<<< They're having a laugh right?!