/ Home & Energy

Beko should have acted faster on fridge freezer fires

Fridge freezer

If you own a 5 to 11 year old Beko fridge freezer (not a standalone fridge or freezer), check your model number, as they have been linked to 20 fires in London over the last three years.

The London Fire Brigade has put out an urgent fire warning to owners of up to 500,000 Beko fridge freezers, following a tower block fire last week.

Newer models don’t have the fault, so don’t worry if you’ve bought one in the last four years.

Although Beko has taken some steps to contact customers with the affected models, it hasn’t acted very swiftly – it knew there was a problem with these fridge freezers last June. Why did it take the company over a year to make this safety problem public?

Do you own a Beko fridge freezer?

The fault relates to the fridge’s defrost timer, which can fail and overheat when water gets into it, leading to an electrical malfunction.

Beko says it has tracked down and sent letters to 200,000 customers, and made modifications to 11,000 appliances so far. But ultimately, more needs to be done to ensure all customers are protected; not just those Beko has contact details for.

If you have a Beko fridge freezer that is 5 to 11 years old, check the model numbers on Which.co.uk to see if yours is affected. If it is, call Beko immediately to ask what steps need to be taken.

Do you own a Beko fridge freezer? Have you had any problems with it so far? Did you receive a letter from Beko asking you to get in touch, or maybe the company has already modified your fridge freezer?

Comments
Dean says:
6 July 2011

Anyone know which option to use when you finally get through on the 01923 number? I got through, didnt choose an option so went through to the switch board but it just rang and rang. Starting to get annoyed now, ive been trying constantly since 9am this morning.

Bob says:
6 July 2011

Option 1 and then 3 I think – I then held for the operator and after about 7 minutes this was answered – then put on hold for a further 16 minutes before having details taken and now having to wait to hear from an engineer to find out when they can come out.

Dean says:
6 July 2011

Thanks Bob. Still getting the engaged tone, I should have stuck with it the first time round 🙁

lorraine says:
6 July 2011

hi you asked for my model number my model number is CGA9756FFW but as i said previously we have had problems everytime we put fresh food in but my serial number is 0110687112 your doing a great job keep up the good work thankyou

tessabee says:
6 July 2011

I have a model which might be affected (discovered by checking the Beko website) and finally managed to get through on the phone at lunchtime today, although this was after spending the morning hitting redial approx 50 times. So my advice is to be (very) patient, keep trying and don’t give up! When I spoke to someone they told me the reason that you get disconnected when you call is that the system can only handle 200 calls on hold so anyone calling after that will be cut off.

tessabee says:
6 July 2011

The women I spoke to was very helpful and apologised for the delay in getting through to them. They are sending out an engineer to me tomorrow morning which is fine by me!

lorraine says:
6 July 2011

please let me know if you get any information for me i know different shops have different model numbers so i’m waiting for whatever information you can give

maria says:
6 July 2011

re beko fridge freezer recall
hi i know mine is one of the affected ones as i spoke to comet this morning and they check the serial number and it is one of them i have tried 5 different number to contact them since yesterday? and cant get through to any of them at all i have turned it off and dont know what else to do any help would be gratefully appreciated thanks

Carol says:
6 July 2011

hi all, i’m getting a bit concerned now can someone help here as i have read some of the comments and my serial no. ends in 02 (0610267402) model CBS4606FFS can someone shed some light here please

Hi Carol
Yep, it looks like your model is effected so I’m afraid you are going to have to contact Beko.

Wendy says:

Hi Carol

Yours does not appear to be one of the effected models as the model number you have stated is not on the list so I think yours should be ok.

Hope this helps

Sorry Carol, was your model number ‘CBS’4606FFS or ‘CSB’4606FFS?
If it starts CSB, then yes it’s effected

Wendy says:

Hi carol

Sorry, I was looking for model no starting CBS but I think you MAY have mis typed this bit. If you have and it starts CSB then i’m afraid that model number is on the list of effected models so you will need to contact Beko (so sorry)

Carol says:

sorry my model no is CSB4606FFS

Wendy says:
6 July 2011

In that case yes you will need to contact Beko then as it is one of the effected models on the list

C ROBERTS says:
6 July 2011

I have a beko fridge freezer, I rang the number off the beko website after confirming my model was one of the ones listed. I finally got through to someone who confirmed that the fridge did need the replacement part but they could not book me in as they could not find me on their database.

I purchased the freezer off comets website but they cannot find my details. I have not moved house in 7 years and the freezer was purchased in 2006.

While i am not running around panicking that my house will burn down, it is clear that beko are clearly not as bothered about the issue as they would like everyone to believe.

Steve says:
6 July 2011

I have had exactly the same problem…… “they cannot find my details” and therefore cannot help me !!!!!
I bought it from Comet in 2005, and have not moved house.
Funny how they don’t forget about me when they send me a warranty extension reminder every year !!!!
Absolutely despicable treatment from Beko

craig says:
8 July 2011

i did manage to get through to the customer services from beko today, the waiting times were not too bad and they did promise to get it sorted. I had originally been told by the 0800 009 4837 number that they could not find me on their system so they would not send anyone out.

I rang the beko customer services number 0845 600 4911 and they promised to get it sorted. They did to be fair ring back and leave a message on the answering machine (phone was on silent) saying an engineer had been booked. I need to ring back and change the date but they did call back pretty quickly.

Barry Macmillan says:
6 July 2011

@carole sheperdson- just to let you know that you should be checking your smoke alarm once a WEEK and not once a month as you have said!

dm says:
6 July 2011

i tried all morning to get through to beko using the free phone no and also website. i wasn’t even being placed in a queue for the free phone no just telling me cant take my call. phoned the 01923818121 ( the one that charges you ) and go figure i got through to someone who told me they would have to put me through to correct dept and put me on hold for 15 mins. when i did get through they told me an engineer would contact me in the next 24hrs to replace the part, i asked if i would be refunded the money for having to call that no and was told no. i dont mind paying the money for my familys safety but its the principal of the thing, why have a free phone no when nobody can get through and i spent 3 hours trying, continually hitting redial. i asked the girl if i should turn off my fridge freezer to be told the chances of anything happening are slim but if i want peace of mind to do just that. dont fancy tring to sleep tonight even with fully functioning smoke alarms knowing the risks so i turned it off. beko’s custer service is shocking, how they’re handling the situation is shocking and i will remember this when buying things in the future, puts me off this company. xx

percyp says:
6 July 2011

We purchased our beko frost free fridge freezer in 2008. within a year we noticed that anything that goes into the freezer un frozen such as ice pops or ice cream would not freeze properly. if we turn the thermostat up in the fridge to make the freezer freeze everything in our fridge is then iced up! but if we turn it down to accomodate our fridge food its too warm for our freezer!! we also have ice at the back of the freezer and the inside walls and therefore have to defrost it regularly. anyone else get this problem? our model number is CDA653FW which i know is an affected model but our serial number is 071099742. which is later than 06. is it affected or not? i wouldnt buy beko ever aagain!

Fiona Bartley-Jones says:
6 July 2011

I have an affected model and had to replace the defrost timer in May of this year after it kept cutting out and throwing the trip switch on our electrics!!! It cost £65 to repair (still have the receipt) and lost about £85 worth of food in the freezer… but it wasn’t worth claiming on my insurance for this due to the amount of the voluntary excess.
I think I may have had a narrow escape given that it was affecting my electrics… but I also feel it is reasonable that Beko should meet the cost of this repair as it is so close to the recall notification – I have not received any communication from thema bout the recall though. I also think they should make a goodwill gesture toward the cost of the lost food.
What do you think?
Fiona

@Fiona
If you needed the fridge freezer repaired and you only bought it in May, then any work needed should have been covered for FREE by Beko under the manufacturer’s 1 year warranty.

heather says:
6 July 2011

I have tried phoning Beko 30 times today and all I get is a recorded message. My appliance is listed as one to contact them What should I do now?

heather says:
6 July 2011

iv got one of the fridge freezers on the list cant get through to beko just a bit worried im disabled and use a stair lift so if there was a fire it would take a time to get down stairs so bit peed of i cant get hold of them

alexandra roberts says:
6 July 2011

i have one and have tried to phone all day,,

Well I didn’t receive a letter from Beko about this problem, it was just purely luck that we saw the articles in the daily paper and phoned Beko to advise them that we had one of the dangerous fridge freezers. Fortunately, we did actually get through to them and a gas engineer came out today to modify it, HOWEVER, as my fridge already had a fault (which I’m in the process of trying to get fixed) he said he couldn’t modify it and left my item marked as ‘at risk’. Phoning Beko I was told that he couldn’t modify it because with an existing fault it may stop the product working if he tried to modify it, hey, I’d rather have the fridge not working than have my family burn to death in a fire. To cut a long story short I was told by Beko that they ‘will not’ send out a gas engineer to modify my fridge and make it safe until I’ve had it repaired, which at the moment won’t be until Monday at the earliest. Surely you’d think a company as large as Beko who are in the home appliance business would be more concerned about the safety of their customers and their customers families?????

Mick says:
6 July 2011

Just tried Beko website which just “throws me out” and I know its not me. I’ve entered all the details which are accepted then when the Beko search starts the site gives error messages

SCOTT G says:
6 July 2011

not seen any comments about my problem: i have one of the affected fridges, CDA648FW, SERIAL# 0610407808. an engineer from comet came out last week to repair my appliance, he was only in the door 2 minutes then left ,telling my son , it wasn,t faulty???. if my fridge was built in 2006, and by earlier posts, models before october are affected, why is mine not 1 of the one,s getting a new electric thermostat fitted? i have sent COMET an e-mail, hoping they will explain this to me, i think the engineer could have left a written explanation, as why no work was carried out, giving the scale of this serious problem.

Becky says:
6 July 2011

They claim they have extended their opening hours to 11 pm but tried to call just now and got a recorded message saying their offices close at 8pm.

Having been able to get through all day. They could at least set up a queue system!

All in all I wouldn’t say that Beko are behaving like a company who have supplied faulty appliances to 3/4 of the country and caused a death, injuries and a huge amount of distress and worry to countless families in the UK. When I called Beko earlier myself to find out why a gas engineer had been told ‘not’ to modify my fridge and make it safe, a customer services operator said he would get his superior to call me back ‘cos he was unable to help me. About 20 minutes later I received a call back from a lady who told me in no uncertain terms that they would NOT be modifying my fridge until I had got it repaired – I really got no impression from her that she was in any way sympathetic to my situation, even when I informed her that I was worried about my 15 year old son who was sleeping in the bedroom above where the fridge was located. She was particularly officious and just kept repeating that they WOULD NOT be modifying my fridge until I got it repaired. Like I said, she did not give me any indication that the company seem to think that they are in the wrong in this matter, surely their customer services staff could be a little bit more understanding under the circumstances!!!