/ Home & Energy

Beko should have acted faster on fridge freezer fires

Fridge freezer

If you own a 5 to 11 year old Beko fridge freezer (not a standalone fridge or freezer), check your model number, as they have been linked to 20 fires in London over the last three years.

The London Fire Brigade has put out an urgent fire warning to owners of up to 500,000 Beko fridge freezers, following a tower block fire last week.

Newer models don’t have the fault, so don’t worry if you’ve bought one in the last four years.

Although Beko has taken some steps to contact customers with the affected models, it hasn’t acted very swiftly – it knew there was a problem with these fridge freezers last June. Why did it take the company over a year to make this safety problem public?

Do you own a Beko fridge freezer?

The fault relates to the fridge’s defrost timer, which can fail and overheat when water gets into it, leading to an electrical malfunction.

Beko says it has tracked down and sent letters to 200,000 customers, and made modifications to 11,000 appliances so far. But ultimately, more needs to be done to ensure all customers are protected; not just those Beko has contact details for.

If you have a Beko fridge freezer that is 5 to 11 years old, check the model numbers on Which.co.uk to see if yours is affected. If it is, call Beko immediately to ask what steps need to be taken.

Do you own a Beko fridge freezer? Have you had any problems with it so far? Did you receive a letter from Beko asking you to get in touch, or maybe the company has already modified your fridge freezer?

Comments
Zoe says:
5 July 2011

I’ve got one of these fridges and I haven’t been contacted by Beko. I’m not impressed when Beko have known since 2010 and I had my fridge delivered by Comet, so they clearly know where I live.

I live on the 7th floor of a high rise a couple of miles from the fire last week caused by the faulty fridge, in the London Borough of Southwark. Following the fire in Lakanal we are all a bit jumpy about fires, and you’d think Comet would have worked with Beko to target fridges bought in their Southwark branch, given how many flats and high rises there are in the area.

Mick Wright says:
5 July 2011

The model we have is shown as CDA 653F which is silver and which I presume is one of the affected models. It was purchased online from Littlewoods on 05/12/07 but we think they’ve shut down now. We did however register the guarantee with BEKO. We still have it in use in the garage seperate from the house.

Mick Wright says:
5 July 2011

I should have added they have never contacted me regarding any possible fault even though they had my name/address on file.

rab says:
5 July 2011

recieved a letter from beko on saturday 2nd. asking me to check serial no. against their list of affected freezers. mine matched so phoned helpline. engineer coming on fri. 8th. july to fix.

Andrew Gaskin says:
5 July 2011

My daughter brought a brand new Beko fridge freezer from COMET 8 years ago. It set on fire after just one month. The fire caused little damage but the house was smoke damaged just like the house on the ITV news. And it took the insurance company 6 months to repair and clean. I reported the fire to COMET and they retreived the fridge for investigation, they never reported back to use with there findings. Never got as much as an apology from COMET or BEKO. I will now. Suspect that this problem is more common than they would admit.

I have one of these fridges but serial number is 08, am i to be assured that it is not an affected model? I feel a bit uneasy, my model is only just over 2 years old but is it really safe?

Natalie says:
5 July 2011

I have one of these models too, but have an 07 serial number. It does make me feel very uneasy. How do we know that ours is ok? We purchased it in early 2007, only just after the defective models were manufactured.

George Madigan says:
9 July 2011

Beko have contacted me by letter to say my fridge freezer “may” be affected! My serial numbers are CDA647FS / 0710043501.After entering it says Not affected!!
My concern is that the plastic grill covering the light bulb in the top of the fridge has burnt and the bulb blown.Is this another problem and should I be concerned?
Have tried to get in contact to Beko but due to high levels of calls cannot get through!!

Sarah says:
5 July 2011

are people aware that Howdens sell lamona appliances which are basically rebadged BEKO products. I only found this out the other day when I had a fault with the lamona dishwasher and the repair man said they are all BEKO. Are the serial numbers the same for Lamona and beko fridge freezers? I think Howdens should be contacting their customers too, if I hadn’t had a problem with the dishwasher I wouldn’t link lamona and BEKO.

chris bell says:
5 July 2011

I have been phoning Beko phone line since 4.30pm when i realised i have one of the affected appliances only to be told that they are experiencing a large volume of usage and i may be kept waiting after 1 and a half minutes they cut you off .at 8pm iwas then told the offices are shut and and will reopen tomorrow between 8am and 5pm.surely there should be some emergency line open all the time iam worried sick wont be able to sleep tonight what do you do turn it off and have no fresh food til it gets fixed god knows how long that will be.have emailed them so hopefully i may get a response tomorrow. it is disgusting especially as they have known for some time and i have had no letter telling me. will not be buying their products again

Fridge engineer says:
5 July 2011

If you are concerned that although your serial number is outside those listed by Beko, have a look at the back of the fridge freezer, is there a White box hanging down on the left handside of the compressor that you can get your hand behind? If so it is one of the affected models, if said box is screwed to the ‘back’ wall of the same recess then your model is not affected.
The company I work for have been fitting the modified timer for about 5/6 weeks with 11000 completed already thats averaging over 300 a day on top of our usual work, I appreciate that for some that isn’t fast enough but then you can’t please everyone. 500,000 units to check is a **** of a lot of people to contact and schedule in but only when it is ‘convenient’ for the customer. Unfortunately it isnt going to happen overnight. 500,000 units is a third of our annual turn around hopefully people who read this might start to appreciate what an enormous task this is and rest assured we are doing all we can to get through it as quick as we can

Fridge engineer says:

P.S. I don’t work for Beko

Kim says:
6 July 2011

How do I find out the model number of my appliance? We’ve moved house several times since purchasing so unlikely to still have all paperwork.

Hello Kim, here’s a visual diagram from Beko on where to find your model number:

Beko model number diagram

I am sure that will be a great comfort if your house burns down because your Beko fridge has caught fire.I have one of the affected fridge/freezers what are we meant to do in the meanwhile.Is there anything apart from turning it off to reduce the risk. Beko ought to be ashamed the way they have dealt with this problem. I would never have known of this fault if I hadn’t seen the news. Beko hasn’t contacted us at all and they have been aware of the fault for a year. They should at least open the helpline for 24/7, it was shut a 5 last night even after the news was on TV all day

Kev says:
7 July 2011

Totally discusted been trying for 2 days to contact Beko with no joy. Is there anyonce else I can contact about this or can I arrange for an independent engineer to fix the problem and invoice Beko. I have just last week received another do you want extended warenty letter but nothing about this issue. How can this company do this. Why are trading standards not involved and advising people what they can do. Beko are playing with peoples lives.

Terri says:
13 July 2011

Hi engineer, just thought i’d ask if the box that covers the timer under the drip tray? and slightly pulled fridge out to have a look, didn’t see too much but i did notice a brown box is that ok or affected?
Thanks

carla says:
5 July 2011

i just checked and the white box is attached and i cant get my hand behind it so this means its ok right? also is the compressor supposed to be sooo hot!..

Fridge engineer says:
5 July 2011

If you can’t get your hand round the back then it is not one of the ones affected. And yes compressors do run very hot as they a trying to compress a liquid, you might have noticed a White tray on top of the compressor this is a collection chamber for water, when a freezer defrosts itself the water drains into here and then when the compressor runs again the heat evaporates any water collected

nichola79 says:
5 July 2011

Hi I only bought my beko fridge freezer last year from next,and it is a model which is affected,I cannot get through to beko at all on the helpline,it’s very worrying when you have small children in the house

Fridge engineer says:
5 July 2011

Hi Nicola, try the above and it will put your mind at rest, I suspect that yours is prob a much newer version and you prob won’t find a White box around the back

sue says:
5 July 2011

i have a model that is affected and have turned it off asap i have noticed it has been getting hot and thought nothing about it until i saw the news today i have ten children 8 at home i have been ringing the number and to be told they are busy i have insurance on the model i shall be ringing them tomoz asap .

nichola79 says:
5 July 2011

Hi fridge engineer my model number is on the BEKO website as being recalled,it is model number CDA653FW1,as I say I have only had it a year,so it is affecting newer models too,there is a white plastic tray at the bottom above what looks like a gas cylinder,I haven’t been contacted by BEKO at all,will never buy the make again,we are going on holiday so I am just going to switch it off just in case thanks for your help.

Fridge engineer says:
5 July 2011

If you read my post again you are not looking for the plastic tray, you are looking for a White oblong box, you say your model is an FW1 this is not affected, you havnt been contacted because your model in not affected

JOHN says:
5 July 2011

today 5/7 2011 gave beko a call 7pm got a number of them to call at around 7.20pm gave that a call got open 9 to 5pm back .
You would think they would have stayed on today to help out.
Will i be able to sleep tonight or as a hgv driver could it be not just a fire that may kill someone
now may have to call a 0800 free number at hi cost on a mobile

Fridge engineer says:
5 July 2011

What number have they given you

Just a note, if you’re unsure whether your Beko fridge freezer is affected, as well checking the model numbers on Which.co.uk, you can visit Beko’s website https://refsafety.beko.co.uk/ or call its helpline on 0800 009 4837 between 8am and 6pm, Monday to Friday.

Also, you can check the serial number of your fridge freezer, found inside the fridge compartment, to find out which year the appliance was manufactured. If your model’s serial number begins with 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05 or 06 you should contact Beko.

Jason Kee says:
6 July 2011

Sorry… previous comment did not post.

Hi Patrick,

Appreciate the advice though it is only a grepeat on what is already publicly available. The reality of it is quite different. I began calling the freefone number at 8am this morning. I would get a message, then the line goes dead. This has happened 22 times over ninety minutes from two different telephones. If you look hard enough in the website, you will find another number to call. 30 minutes of redialling (line engaged) and I get through to an operator who tells me it is only for Comet customers. He gives me a customer service number. Another 20 minutes of redialling and I finally speak to someone.

That number is 01923 818121.

Complaints can be emailed to service@beko.co.uk

Paula says:
7 July 2011

I have a faulty machine …callled this 01923 …..number and got a brick wall saying the only number to call was the 0800 which is too busy you get cut off…. i got to speak to no one !

karen says:
5 July 2011

hi , i heard on the news this morning ref. beko fridge freezers and have got home from work to find i own such a modle , i have not received any correspondence from anyone , i am disgusted with this as the LFB mentioned this last year , i have consequently switched my freezer off , i am not going to risk going to bed for the night with the possibility of a fire, i would rather loose the food in the fridge and freezer than my sons and my lives ..I tried to call the helpline but recoreded message as out of office hours , beko should have engineers 24/7 to rectify this

Sandy says:
6 July 2011

I have one of the affected fridges. I haven’t received a letter however we did move home last April so that would explain why. I have been trying to call Beko since yesterday morning after hearing the news from my hubby when he called to let me know and again this morning, still no luck. I requested a call back as I sent an email to them yesterday. I understand they are busy as the majority of people are panicking and not checking the model/serial number that relates to their fridge/freezer, but I would have thought Beko would have handled this a lot better then they have. I totally agree with Lisa, why leave it a year? I am currently not in a position to go out and buy a new one and what scared me the most was that we moved the appliance when moving home and to think we could have triggered something of when in transit. Come on Beko get your ACT together…