/ Food & Drink

Has one of your favourite food products been discontinued?

discontinued products

Ever had a favourite food or drink that you enjoy regularly, only for it to disappear from the shelves? It’s not uncommon for companies to discontinue products with no explanation – which ones do you miss?

Some products aren’t built to last, but while our older tech will always get replaced by the latest and greatest innovations, it’s a little different for other product areas. In the case of food and drink, our personal favourites can sometimes disappear completely – often suddenly and without explanation.

Vanishing act

From ever since I can remember, my family has sat down for a roast dinner every Sunday. I’ve always looked forward to dessert most and every week, without fail, I would have a Heinz Strawberry Jam Sponge Pudding all to myself (yep, the whole lot… with ice cream). It also came in Chocolate, Spotted Dick and Treacle variations.

Then one week, it suddenly vanished. We couldn’t find it on the shelves anywhere, but remained confident that it’d return – maybe everywhere was just out of stock?

As months went by I gradually let go, but after last week’s roast dinner, I decided I needed confirmation that the puddings were gone forever, so I tweeted Heinz to find out.

Gone, but not forgotten

The confirmation from Heinz cut me like a knife through… sponge. But it got me reminiscing about some of my other old favourites that had suddenly disappeared without a trace.

Pepsi Lemon Twist – gone. Citrus Clear Lucozade – gone. Both childhood favourites of mine that I’d pick up on the way home from school on a regular basis.

When I mentioned I was writing a Convo on the subject of discontinued products at Which? HQ, many of my colleagues had one dearly departed food or drink product. Discontinued chocolate, such as Fox’s Echo bars, Mars Delight, Flake Snow and Cadbury’s Dream (the white chocolate Dairy Milk), were all brought up frequently.

Rob in our Digital team was still in mourning for Worcester Sauce Twiglets, but I think he’s on his own there.

Coincidentally, the most frequently mentioned discontinued product from the Which? staff I asked is another belonging to Heinz. Its Baked Beans Pizza with Cheese was a firm dinnertime favourite for many here, until it disappeared just like its sponge puddings.

Which discontinued products do you miss?

This is a subject we’ve covered here on Which? Conversation before, when the infamous Christmas favourite, the Toffee Deluxe, was ditched from the Quality Street selection. Many of you joined the conversation then to lament the end of Wrigley’s chewing gum, Nestlé Texan bar, Cadbury Milk Tray lime chocolate and many others.

Do you have a childhood favourite food or drink product that you can no longer get hold of, or perhaps one that has disappeared more recently? Whether it’s food, drink or something else, let us know about it in the comments below.

Comments
Member

Has your favourite food disappeared because (1.) the maker has gone out of business (2) the firm making it has been taken over by a large firm and found it is no longer profitable or already produce a similar product so discontinue the one of the maker that they have taken over not there own (3) Changed the way they make it so that it is not the same (4) renamed the product

Graeme says:
19 March 2018

Spangles!

Member

I cannot find anywhere: Twinings Lady Grey LOOSE tea.

Surely the problems with plastic in teabags should make teamakers reconsider supplying more tea as a loose product? I think a lot of us oldies still use the best quality loose teas in a teapot!

Member

I suggest you write to Twinings or phone them on 01264 313444, Lorrie. On their website, Lady Grey is only available loose in caddies.

Member

I have come to the conclusion a large section of the UK loved Spangles , they were popular at school .

Sue Cox says:
19 March 2018

Tizer and Potato Puffs!

Remember Tizer Sue .

Member

As far as I know you can still get Tizer (“the appetizer”) now made by A.G. Barr. My grandfather had a standing order with his local corner shop for two bottles every Friday – in the ’50s.

MikeBz says:
19 March 2018

Hunny [sic] pudding!

Member

Coming from Australia, it was interesting to see that some of our discontinued sweets are still available here in the UK like Vice Versas.

We recently lost one of my childhood favourites – the Sunny Boy ice block. Of course, there was also Ruffles chips, as seen on this classic Neighbours ad: https://youtu.be/AYfvXez8M44

Cheese and Tomato crisps

Marlene says:
21 March 2018

Treats and Copella’s Apple and Ginger Juice. Did call them. Was told not popular enough so I informed them that you had to get to the store quickly as this was the juice that sold out fastest. Be honest and say you discontinued it because people were not buying enough of the other flavours. Needless to say I no longer buy Copella.

Larry Vidal says:
31 March 2018

I miss Aztec, Amazin’ and Fuse bars. I belive all were made by Cadbury’s. There is a certain theme here…

…but my dentist loves me.

Barbie says:
1 April 2018

Not everyone’s favourite I know but Vesta Risotto reminds me of my teenage years. Students would love it 🙁

Member

I didn’t realise treacle sponge was discontinued! Just thought my mum stopped buying it to save me from a crippling addiction.

Ruth says:
10 April 2018

In 1960’s cadburys lime chocolate bar was delicious

Member

Thats some memory Ruth although you obviously liked it it wasn’t too popular and didn’t last very long. Its like most things in life now if the majority of the public only like sweet things then it doesnt stay on the shelves very long .

Yum

Member

Fry’s Dark Chocolate was always the best in my opinion, even nicer than Bournville.

Member

Could Bendicks Bittermints be the solution here? (Other mints are available.)

Member

I’ll go for the Bittermints, Oscar. Hopefully someone else would like the other ones in their selection boxes.

Member

I liked the soft centres beneath the delicious Fry’s dark chocolate couverture. Bittermints don’t satisfy me so much.

Chris says:
19 April 2018

Fox’s wholemeal crackers. They were lovely rectangular biscuits just right for cheese or peanut butter and banana. I can’t find a replacement and do miss them.

Merik Malendewicz says:
19 April 2018

Lea & Perrins stopped making the tomato variant of their Worcestershire Sauce. by far yhe best tomato sauce ever made. Someone should have been shot

Bob Langley says:
20 April 2018

Baxters Spiced Fruit Chutney. So much nicer than anything else they make but it’s gone.

Patrick says:
21 April 2018

Heinz Vegetable Salad

Member

Patrick thats exactly what my wife loves and I cant get it for her , Sainsbury,s dont even recognise it on their computers. It was in a tin If I remember correctly .

Margaret Bulleyment says:
25 April 2018

Please can you now turn your attention to discontinued skin products. The loss of a favourite food product may be annoying, but it does not disrupt your life. Finding an over the counter skin product that suits your sensitive skin, only to have it discontinued has always been devastating. Now it happens more frequently, as social media means people can complain more easily. Their comments show they did not understand the product and should never have been using it, but their adverse comments cause it to be withdrawn to the detriment of those who found it invaluable.

Member

Margaret It just so happens that this is something I know about as my wife has Scandinavian DNA – is strawberry blond – VERY pale skin of extreme thinnest and finest .After years of trials and tribulations of skin rashes red sores etc using normal cream we have found an answer its called PERNATION gel not well known in beauty salons but well known in quality health shops its made from the Original Green Lipped Mussel -non greasy- absorbed immediately-pleasant aroma . Drawback ? its expensive but hasn’t let down my wife who suffers from a veritable host of allergies all proven in hospital tests. Yes it works !

Member

I know exactly what you mean, Margaret. I was gutted when the plug was pulled on the Prescriptives skincare and make-up brand. Although I’ve since discovered you can get it online! Wondering if it might be worth looking online to see if the skincare product you’re looking for is still available?

Patrick Taylor says:
25 April 2018

Lea & Perrins is owned by Kraft-Heinz the third biggest food company in the world. In 2017 it attempted to take over Unilever for $143Bn.

The rationale for these mega-mergers is that it “reduces competition” and it allows these major companies to reduce the range for consumers and also create price point expectations. If you own several tomato sauce brands then you can differentiate on price and perceived quality.

“Reduces competition” is perhaps overstating the cosy arrangements that the mega brands tend to have with each other once outsider threats are dealt with. [Like Innocent] No CEO is ever going to risk his bonus or reduced profits by embarking on a wholesale price or marketing war. They have a common enemy in the supermarket chains and the discounters which tends to mean they avoid anything other than token skirmishes and tinker with new products.

If you wish to confirm this sort of activity the past decade has shown several fmcg being caught for cartel operations – Unilever., P&G, Cussons, etc. One example:
theguardian.com/business/2011/apr/13/unilever-procter-and-gamble-price-fixing-european-commission

Maggie Dowens says:
27 April 2018

I really miss Smiths Ready Salted Chipsticks, only the Salt and Vinegar flavour ever seem to be available, have they been discontinued?

Jill Fortnam Long says:
28 April 2018

I have been a great fan on Morrisons Breakfast Tea bags since they came top in a Which? taste test. And now they are no longer available!!