/ Food & Drink

Has one of your favourite food products been discontinued?

discontinued products

Ever had a favourite food or drink that you enjoy regularly, only for it to disappear from the shelves? It’s not uncommon for companies to discontinue products with no explanation – which ones do you miss?

Some products aren’t built to last, but while our older tech will always get replaced by the latest and greatest innovations, it’s a little different for other product areas. In the case of food and drink, our personal favourites can sometimes disappear completely – often suddenly and without explanation.

Vanishing act

From ever since I can remember, my family has sat down for a roast dinner every Sunday. I’ve always looked forward to dessert most and every week, without fail, I would have a Heinz Strawberry Jam Sponge Pudding all to myself (yep, the whole lot… with ice cream). It also came in Chocolate, Spotted Dick and Treacle variations.

Then one week, it suddenly vanished. We couldn’t find it on the shelves anywhere, but remained confident that it’d return – maybe everywhere was just out of stock?

As months went by I gradually let go, but after last week’s roast dinner, I decided I needed confirmation that the puddings were gone forever, so I tweeted Heinz to find out.

Gone, but not forgotten

The confirmation from Heinz cut me like a knife through… sponge. But it got me reminiscing about some of my other old favourites that had suddenly disappeared without a trace.

Pepsi Lemon Twist – gone. Citrus Clear Lucozade – gone. Both childhood favourites of mine that I’d pick up on the way home from school on a regular basis.

When I mentioned I was writing a Convo on the subject of discontinued products at Which? HQ, many of my colleagues had one dearly departed food or drink product. Discontinued chocolate, such as Fox’s Echo bars, Mars Delight, Flake Snow and Cadbury’s Dream (the white chocolate Dairy Milk), were all brought up frequently.

Rob in our Digital team was still in mourning for Worcester Sauce Twiglets, but I think he’s on his own there.

Coincidentally, the most frequently mentioned discontinued product from the Which? staff I asked is another belonging to Heinz. Its Baked Beans Pizza with Cheese was a firm dinnertime favourite for many here, until it disappeared just like its sponge puddings.

Which discontinued products do you miss?

This is a subject we’ve covered here on Which? Conversation before, when the infamous Christmas favourite, the Toffee Deluxe, was ditched from the Quality Street selection. Many of you joined the conversation then to lament the end of Wrigley’s chewing gum, Nestlé Texan bar, Cadbury Milk Tray lime chocolate and many others.

Do you have a childhood favourite food or drink product that you can no longer get hold of, or perhaps one that has disappeared more recently? Whether it’s food, drink or something else, let us know about it in the comments below.

Comments
Guest
Clare Bardsley says:
17 March 2018

I still miss Bachelors Thick Lincoln Pea Soup (in a packet). My favourite soup ever. I last had it on my wedding day in 1990 as my mum had saved a packet to make sure I ate something before the service!

David McLean says:
17 March 2018

I miss PanYan pickle. There’s something missing in the chutneys available today.

Flix says:
17 March 2018

Ice Breaker Chocolate, Frys Five Centres and as someone has already mentioned, Mint Cracknell. Merry Maid caramels, Treats, Egg & Milk Chews – the list could go on!

Guest

Definitely Spangles – I still miss them after all these years! More recently deceased, the excellent Asda diet cranberry mixer.

Evelyn says:
17 March 2018

Symingtons Table Creams.

Guest

Unilever wiped out the entire Pro-Age range. The deo was the only one I could use without a rash. Trying to find a replacement I found that about half of all the deo sold is Unilever under various brands. Still using out of date Pro-Age bought from Spain a few months ago but now on the last container. Unilever’s response to an email was try one of our other brands, not likely. Rotterdam is not far enough away.

JCA says:
17 March 2018

Marks and Spencer’s Onion Bhaji Naan Bread it was FANTASTIC, I don’t buy naan bread now, everything is just second rate! Douwe Egberts *Enticing Chocolate* flavoured coffee we are still in mourning!

Guest

M&S used to do a Chilli Ciabatta, wonderful when lightly toasted with butter.

Ros says:
17 March 2018

Vitbe bran muffins. Discontinued ages ago but found an excellent recipe online and now make my own. Almost as good as the Vitbe ones and cheaper!

margaret Cox says:
17 March 2018

Cabanas/Milk Tray bars (as well as the lime barrel my fav. was a praline-ish type thing)/pink panther bar/
…I could go on…all sweet things ….but I do have a (Scottish) sweet tooth.

Guest

if you have a Scottish sweet tooth do you remember Mac Cowans Highland toffee with a picture of a Highland “coo ” on it Margaret ? It morphed into a chocolate covered version . How about “gob stoppers ” large coloured round sweeties as you sucked them they changed colour ?

Guest

McCowan’s of Stenhousemuir failed a few years ago. They also produced ‘Penny Dainties’.

Guest

Thanks for the info Wavechange didn’t know that , I don’t remember “Penny Dainties ” though . I did buy single sweets for one penny but dont remember what they were except the small flat,round sweeties with the – I love you etc on them you gave to a female you fancied , or she gave it to you.

Guest

I cannot remember when I last saw one but like Highland Toffee, Penny Dainties were quite distinctive:

The sweeties with messages were Love Hearts and produced by Swizzels, definitely not Scottish.

Guest

I had to cast my memory back Wavechange when I looked at the sweeties but , no I never bought the ones in the picture , thanks for reminding me of Love Hearts .

Guest

I miss Cadury’s Bournville (plain chocolate) with roasted almonds. Cant find a substitute, but I’ll live.

Guest

Yes Malcolm I liked Bournville plain chocolate but do you remember Duncans hazelnut chocolate I kept the hazelnuts to last ?

Guest

I am sure that Aldi still do a version of Heinz sponge puddings. They did about six months ago when I last bought one.

Guest

Definitely going to have a look for these! Thanks Martyn.

Guest

I’m not sure when this advert dates from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2rX3B-XlRA

Guest

Martyn, managed to pick a few of Aldi’s chocolate versions up the other day – they’re amazing! Thanks for the tip.

Samantha James says:
17 March 2018

Nestle Maverick chocolate bar. I used to savour one for hours!

Frederick says:
17 March 2018

Where has Welgar . ‘Puffed Wheat ‘ gone ? always enjoyed a big bowl when younger. Kicked out by the likes of ‘Golden Puffs’ no doubt ! Oh how the cereal manufactures change our eating habits !

Tim Guy says:
18 March 2018

Cadbury’s Praline Flake

Roger Feesey says:
18 March 2018

Spangles – all the flavours and colours!

Brian Harrison says:
18 March 2018

I miss Spangles

Where are Zubes ?

Guest

Zubes are-quote- good for your tubes , as in throat lozenges Rugrat .

Dim Sum says:
18 March 2018

lament the end of Wrigley’s chewing gum????????????
Just bought some.

Guest

Trouble with chewing gum is the many chewers who deposit it on the pavement. It is very expensive for local authorities to clean up.Sticks to your shoes and then carpets.

Ken says:
18 March 2018

I used to enjoy dried papaya chunks on my breakfast muesli, but they suddenly disappeared. Help!

Barb Turnbull says:
19 March 2018

Batchelors Pea and Ham Cuppa Soup. One of their few gluten-free flavours. Hubby used to love it. Can’t find it anywhere now.

Guest

Barb Amazon did sell it ( out of stock ) BUT it got torn to shreds – where is the taste of pea+ ham ?–nothing like the original etc etc – ONE star out of five – cries of DONT ! buy it. I remember the original cuppa soups but like everything else – recipe changed to suite ” modern tastes ” meaning cheaper chemical ingredients. Of course it isn’t American taste so we must “get with it ” and accept US combinations of types of tastes -re globalisation – chemical this or chemical that. See Monsanto or US Big Chemical for ingredients— hold on Germany now own Monsanto look out for German tastes in food like a Fuehrer burger + fries .