/ Community

Live event: Which? magazine editor Harry Rose – 3:30pm 16/9/21

We’ll be joined live on Which? Conversation by Harry Rose on 16 September. Ask your questions about the magazine and its latest investigations in the comments.

We’re pleased to announce that Which? magazine editor Harry Rose will be live on Which? Conversation on 16 September to answer your questions on our latest features, investigations and our increased focus on sustainability.

📄 Which? magazine editor Q&A

🗓 3:30pm Thursday 16 September 2021

The event itself takes place in the comments on this page – it is not a live stream/Zoom meeting.

If you’ve got a question about Which? magazine, our latest issues and the investigations they’ve featured, leave it in the comments in advance.

Harry will be with us from 3:30pm on Thursday 16 September to start answering and chat with you in the comments.

We’re looking forward to seeing you then.

Comments

Whilst car owners are constantly being sold on the benefit of electric vehicles, environmental issues, economy etc. The cost and inconvenience is very high, we are unable to produce enough electricity in this Country for essential needs now. In the event of a severe Winter, demand would surely exceed the ability to supply.
Surely the option of an alternative, would be hydrogen, this could be used for vehicles and a suitable gas and heating option. thus saving replacement of existing car engines and existing heating systems.
What are the Petrochemical Companies doing to offset their losses ?.

Jerome says:
13 September 2021

Must say, overall I am very disappointed that the coverage of product reviews has declined in the magazine and more emphasis is being given to avoiding scams, sustainability and campaigns. I subscribed in the first place because I am more interested the Which?rather than the How? Why? Etc. Suppose the clue is in the name. Seriously considering ending my subscription.. a real shame after 15 years. Why don’t you publish a separate mag to cover the issues mentioned above for readers who are interested enough to pay?

I tend to agree with you Jerome, you have saved me writing the same. I subscribed to all the magazines up until a few months ago but I cut it down to just the one. That was partly because I either didnt find the articles/investigations interesting, didnt find them relevant or didnt have have the time to go through them sifting out what was and what wasnt worth a read. For now I will keep going with the main magazine but if Which is moving more towards a environmental/sustainable (dare I say ‘woke’?) campaigning type organisation then that will have to be reviewed.
p.s. I’m also getting tired of this relentless attack on banks and expecting them to cough up refunds to people who have been careless being scammed and through NO FAULT of the bank.
I’m no advocate for the banking industry, they have deserved much criticism and they needed to better protect people’s savings and deposits. However, in my opinion, they do now take all reasonable precautions to warn people of the dangers before transferring money. I dont see why my bank should reimburse scam victims if it is impossible to recoup the money lost. Its not only a green light for these scammers to continue but it also gives law enforcement and government agencies no incentive to track the criminals down and bring them to justice.

The Test Lab section of the magazine extends to well over 20 pages most months and we also cover products in our features section – for example our hugely popular articles on brand reliability and ‘repair or replace’.

The challenge for me is that, increasingly, members are turning to our online reviews when they want to research a purchase. The magazine, for many, plays a different role – it’s about keeping up to date with products and being informed rather than deciding what to buy.

I also know based on years of member surveys that features on such topics as scams and sustainability are among the most widely read and highly valued of all the articles we publish. Product reviews will always be a core part of the magazine, but for a long time it’s been important that the magazine offers more than just product reviews.

Hope that makes sense, Jerome, and thanks for the question.

Why in the OLED TV reviews is there no mention of pixel burn which is quite common. I bought a top of the range LG OLED ( cost £2400) and three years later had to have a new screen fitted. 10 months after this the pixel burn is back. Conveniently pixel burn is specifically excluded from the LG and Richer sounds ( wonder why?).
I am disappointed that these TV’S still have best buy status since if I had known about pixel burn I would not have touched OLED.
Why is this issue not even mentioned by which?

Some years ago the Sky pause image was burned onto our Panasonic plasma TV screen bought in 2007. Then the screen failed with a different fault and was replaced under the 5-year warranty. We learned a valuable lesson, don’t pause the screen and at least 9 years later and used almost every day, we still have no pause button ingrained onto the screen. We also don’t use the TV for video games.

The manual does mention image retention but doesn’t emphasise it strongly enough and suggests contrast is lowered automatically after a few minutes so preventing it.

I believe screens are most susceptible to burn when they are new, so extra care needs to be taken of them then if you want them to last.

Lisa Wood says:
13 September 2021

Disappointed Which doesn’t do reviews on Artificial Grass tools and machinery. It’s a fact of life that many of us less able people or those short on time have resorted to this greenery. If I had the time and effort required I would have natural grass but it’s not practicable anymore.

Would also like to see reviews on recent gadgets that are in the shops . Why doesn’t Which review premium brands such as Miele and Sthil ? They may be expensive but in my experience they go on for years and can be repaired.

The problem with most artificial grass is that it is made. of plastic, which will slowly bread down to produce small particles, not dissimilar to the plastic microparticles that have been banned from cosmetics etc.

I think it should be up to the consumer whether they wish to buy plastic artificial grass or not and as a member expect it to be reviewed. Or is Which saying because its plastic we are not going to review it? We can make our own decisions without being constantly lectured to on sustainability and environmental impact. There are enough organisations already with that role.

The artificial grass should be made from recycled plastic which should also be made biodegradable which is possible these days. And at least you won’t need a lawn mower and therefore can save on pollution caused by burning petrol, or other fossil fuels at the power plants if it was electric. So while it’s not natural grass and not the same at least it won’t need cutting every so often and it also won’t die if you accidently spill any weed killer on it. So plastic grass can be more green and sustainable if it’s more thoughtfully produced. There is the remote possibility of it fading in strong sun if it’s not made from properly UV stabilised plastic.

Artificial grass needs careful ground preparation and drainage. That represents about 75% of the cost of the installation. Maybe a Which? Trusted Trader would be a better source of advice.

You can’t just buy a roll of plastic turf and lay it down, unless it is onto a level paved area. In which case, why bother given the microplastic pollution issues raised by others above.

In my opinion, Which? resources would be better used testing indoor carpets, which most members have in their homes and will need to replace from time to time.

Which? do review both Miele and, more recently, Sthil. They are often Best Buys, but at a price. If you can afford them, it is hard to go wrong with these brands, but maybe you could get similar performance for less money elsewhere. That is where Which? can really help, by testing cheaper and less well known alternatives.

I’ve been a member of Which since April 1984 (membership nr xxx) and, obviously, I enjoy the magazine. However, I am far from happy with the on-line service. There was a time when I could log on easily with a saved password but then, without me doing anything, it went pear shaped. I tried and better tried to get it sorted, including writing to your senior management but, in spite of all expressed reassurances, the issue was never resolved and I just kept going round in circles, registering and saving new passwords (under your instructions) but all to no avail. New passwords were never recognised and I was again set off on the merry-go-round. I’m not prepared to waste more of my time on this but, if you can resolve and set me up with a new (working) account, I should be more than happy. Barry Tate

[Moderator: we’ve edited this comment to remove personally identifiable information, as this is not allowed in the Community guidelines. Please don’t post people’s names, addresses, or other personally identifiable information – even if you suspect it is made up. This is to protect everyone’s privacy.]

Hi @barrytate, I have passed this on to members services for you and one of the team should be in touch shortly to get a resolution for you, please do let me know how you get on and if there is anything else we can do to help 🙂

Hi @barrytate, are you using a password manager, or letting your browser fill in your password? I ask because I have had the same problem, and have raised it with our internal teams: it’s a bug that means when a password is filled in by a standalone service, the site doesn’t recognise the password. It is absolutely infuriating, but the way around it is to copy and paste the password yourself from your password manager into the field – you’ll be able to log in then.

Peter de la Nougerede says:
13 September 2021

I would like to suggest that Which Reports should include a statement on “where a product is manufactured”. Which does a great job in identifying product pricing, features and reliability etc. But some consumers (certainly me) would also consider it important to know where a product is made. This would not involve Which in taking any political stand at all – simply providing clear provenance information, so that consumers can factor that into their decision-making, if that is important to them. To me, it is just as important as pricing!

Can I support Peter’s request – I came to the conversation to say something along the same lines

Sonia Wiffen says:
14 September 2021

I would like to see an in depth feature on Financial advisors. Having used one myself, I do wonder why they continue to take a percentage of one’s investment once invested? How do I know if I’m getting good value for the cost of using one?

Great question, thanks for sharing Sonia!

My financial advisor is always available when I need him to answer queries on the products I have. IIRC I paid a one-off fee for his advice and he has found me companies that offer good returns on my investments.

I voiced concern over what I thought were excessive ongoing management charges levied by the investment managers, he has been able to get them down to something that I find more acceptable.

Facebook spam: it’s certainly getting worse. Great to see that I wasn’t the only person with the problem. I hadn’t realised I could get rid of them, until I vented my fury in my husbands hearing. There were adverts, mostly linked to people I follow, but something I’m not following. It got so bad I couldn’t get through to the “nice” things from my friends. He told me how to get rid of them. So now I get rid as soon as I see them. Then they ask why I got rid of the advert. I invariably bypass that, but still find it annoying. However not everyone has a useful person who knows about how to get rid. I just wish the default was, that people have to ask to see things not get the blanket advert drop.

John Hall says:
14 September 2021

Does anyone know why industry has chosen battery power for transport. In my opinion, from info gleaned on various sources, hydrogen cell technology is cleaner for the planet. Not perfect but battery’s are just too much like going for oil instead of steam power in the first place.
Main thing. Was going to subscribe to Computer Active magazine, through Dennis Publications. Got to the paying area, after great trouble entering address details, to find they wanted sort code, account code. Not given these for a while now. IS IT SAFE. just the main number or PayPal, I am used to. I’m getting on and getting edgy, probably missing out on some things, but better safe than sorry.
Plastic Grass Is Really The End.

John — The economical manufacture of hydrogen by electrolysis requires huge amounts of electricity. This is fine if renewable energy is used but at present we do not have enough capacity. A major benefit is that hydrogen can be stored so production can be concentrated at times when there is a surplus of renewable energy available and reserves can cover for when renewable energy is lacking. We are within sight of that goal and there are some demonstration vehicles for both buses and passenger trains currently on trial.

Hi John, rather than subscribing to Computer Active, how about subscribing to Which? Computing instead? As well as the magazine you get access to the brilliant Tech Support team, and, while I am possibly somewhat biased, obviously Computing is a better magazine. 😉 You can subscribe here https://signup.which.co.uk/wlp-tech-support

Darren Rose says:
14 September 2021

I recently wanted to buy a water filter jug and was surprised that Which have never reviewed any. Looking through the sheer number of Amazon it would have been helpful to have had Which’s view on on which jug offered the best value for money and ease of use taking into account cost of replacement filters.

I rarely read any of your reports on scams or campaigns, they don’t interest me, in fact I think Which needs to get back to doing what it does best, In depth reviews. I seem to see less and less in your magazine and on your website. it doesn’t have to just be about household products either. How about a look at different private heath care providers? I’ve recently joined Axa and regret the day I handed them my cash. There is definitely a need for a place like Which to scrutinize these private health care providers who promise the world and fail to deliver time and time again.

Given Which?’s flawed Holiday Insurance review process and recommendations, which take no account of claims experience and even failing to recognise the same company hiding behind different trading names, how on earth would they scrutinze private health care providers?

I like both the water filter and private health care ideas, Darren. We’re already planning more coverage on the latter and I will pass on the former to our testing team for them to investigate.

I agree Darren that it would be good if Which looked at private health care providers as, given current NHS waiting lists , many more people will need to use private providers and it could make sense to have the insurance before they need the operation

anthony victor capon says:
14 September 2021

Copyright Law I am quite concerned about this subject and the use of smart phones in particular As i understand it is a legal right of the owner/s of a creative work to have his/her work covered by Copyright Law for example (music) and permission should be obtained before a recording is made.

I am not a legal person but I do work in the Music Industry and this does affect my income Royalties should be paid unless the creator/s of subject matter has passed away over 70 years after death of creator/s or has granted permission for it to be used.

I would recommend that Which make this clear to the General Public and advice is obtained from qualified Solicitors.

When is Which? going to stop wasting time and money reviewing cars that few Members are interested in and even fewer could possibly afford, apart from maybe your overpaid CEO?

May 2021 – BMW M3 Competition (2021-) review – from £74,755

What possible relevance does that have? And where is the charitable “Public Benefit” in reviewing such cars? It’s not even electric.

Your question may be one for the Cars team at a different time, Em, though our magazine cars coverage is extremely popular, including our focus on electric cars.

You must have missed the Best Buy £83 000 Porsche Taycan, Em.
https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/new-and-used-cars/porsche-taycan-2020

You are right malcolm, I did. However, if I am going to spend that much more than the BMW M3, I might as well go for the BMW M5 for a tad under £90,000.

Apparently, this offers “Truly crushing performance”. I suspect that any pedestrian that has suffered the trauma of being hit by a car would find that description sickeningly offensive.

I could even be seduced into buying the insane Mercedes-Benz AMG GT at a mere £130,000.

This offers “Mightily potent performance”, although for that kind of money Which? should be pointing out that a lifetime’s supply of Sildenafil is an awful lot cheaper.

Or maybe I should just help to pay the annual National Health and Social Care Levy for four hundred “hard-working” families on average income who can’t now afford a holiday.

Either way, I feel Which? is a little out of touch with both their readership demographic and society as a whole. But maybe I am the only one here who can’t justifiably afford these cars, when others are taking an economic bruising?

In fairness, they haven’t (yet) reviewed a Bentley Continental (although, as yet, only two Bentleys are available as hybrids) or progressed to a Bugatti Veyron 16.4. I understand Bugatti Porsche are planning an all-electric car that will do 0-60 in 1 second. Look forward to that review.

I strongly support Which?’s increasing focus on sustainability and environmental impacts, which have been overlooked for too long. Short-sightedly ignoring these aspects, as some here would seem to prefer, would just further increase the legacy of pollution and global warming we are leaving to our kids and their kids. Does anyone really want that?

Animal testing is an issue you seem to studiously ignore even though many consumers would prefer to avoid animal-tested products if given the choice or the necessary information. For products where animal testing is not required by law but is nevertheless common, such as personal care products, cosmetics and household products like cleaning agents, why not provide information on whether a product and/or its ingredients has been animal tested?

I agree with those asking for information on where a product is made, though I can see this could be tricky in a global economy where parts are manufactured in different countries and the final product then assembled somewhere else.

On the last point – country of manufacture. Generally, one company will be responsible for the design and the assembly – the design of a product should include the sourcing of parts and components. They are the manufacturer and are responsible for the product, wherever assembly takes place. I would like to see more evaluation of manufacturers, as well as of individual products, so we have a better idea of those who are better.

Many manufacturers assemble in more than one country, so I am not sure how valuable the country is, although I admit that when I bought a couple of Makita products I was pleased to find they were manufactured (presumably assembled) in the UK. Partly because if I had a problem with them I could more easily contact the source – although I haven’t had to test that yet.

It does matter where something is made. I’m sick and tired of having to buy stuff which is made in china which is a brutal dictatorship where the government won’t tolerate any beliefs and expect everybody there to be communist and therefore atheist and they persecute anyone wanting to be Christian for instance and if anyone there tries to set up and run a church the government will send their thugs out to demolish it. And while some churches are allowed in china the authorities there constantly interfere with the running of them and persecute the people there. And china has got far too much of a monopoly in manufacturing of our essential consumer goods, far too often it’s either chinese or nothing. And earlier this year, or was it last year I bought some British made motorised valves for my heating but inside they’ve got chinese made relays fitted. And all the time this goes on we’re being forced to support their brutal dictator regime which we absolutely don’t need. So we need far better public awareness of what’s going on in countries like china and how they’re forcing us all to support their appalling persecution and gross brutality. Just have a look on Barnabas fund’s website to find out more about what the chinese government does to their people. And it’s the same with turkey too to some extent and some of our white goods for the kitchen are made there.

I agree with what you are saying about the Chinese government and its suppression of ethnic minorities. I’m an atheist but not a communist.

I want to know where the items are made so that I know where my money is going to end up. I can then make an informed decision on whether to buy that product or not.

There are many countries that, seemingly, treat their workers badly, particularly in the clothing industry. But we like cheap products, so supporting these industries is inevitable.

Personally, I would like to see us make much more in the UK, and I would be prepared to pay a premium for that for a number of reasons. Easier to get to the manufacturer if there is a problem, it supports employment, it produces taxes for the benefit of us all and it reduces imports and the exchange balance.

I don’t look to avoid buying products from China or anywhere else, I just try to buy things made in the UK and, in general, that is possible although, as Malcolm says above, the range could be better since sometimes it is necessary to buy products made in the EU, South Korea or other south Asian countries.

As most of our routine expenditure is on food and drink it is possible to source a high percentage from acceptable countries and from the Commonwealth if possible where UK supplies are not available.

I notice that Which are championing the good old gas boiler in the current edition. How about an article on heat pumps? I’ve had mine now for over eleven years without problem or maintenance.

It may come down to cost of operation. Apart from the capital cost of heat pumps, with coefficients of performance of 2 or 3 1Kw of electricity produces 2 to 3 kW of heat, so reducing the electricity cost if, otherwise, electric heating were used. However as (my) electricity cost 6x my gas per unit, gas is still around at least 50% cheaper to run heating. And the lower grade heat produced by most heat pumps (before efficiency drops) will require the installation of larger radiators or underfloor heating.

However, if we head for gas-free heating by regulation then I would agree that the whole heat-pump issue, pros and cons, is well worth investigating. Which? have published guides to ground source and air source heat pumps here: https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/ground-and-air-source-heat-pumps/article/guides

I watched a video on You Tube regarding the pros and cons of heat pumps and it totally put me off them, especially air-source heat pumps and the associated noise from cooling fans.

What noise? I have 6 indoor and 3 outdoor Daikin units.

The indoor units make no more noise than a laptop fan and are only noticeable at night, when I turn them down.

Outdoor units won’t affect you or you neighbours – or do they sleep with their windows open in the depths of winter?

This is a convenient question! The cover feature of the new issue is on alternatives to gas boilers, including heat pumps. It should be with you over the next few days if you haven’t already received it.

Five months ago I bought a used Kia car still under warranty and asked if it could be serviced at my local garage. I was told “Yes, as long as they used Kia parts which had to be shown on invoice”.
This is essential to me as I am a widow and sole carer of a disabled adult so to drive to the nearest (city based) Kia outlet and wait around for service to be done is not possible as there is no-one else to care for my daughter if I am delayed.
This morning I called at local garage to be told that Kia refuse to deliver the parts and I am not the only Kia owner they have had to turn away.
Given that I bought my car during the pandemic they cannot use it as an excuse
What does anyone advise?

There are a number of companies offering “genuine” Kia parts online, including main dealers. I wonder if your garage has really tried? Perhaps worth you contacting Kia to ask for the best source of parts that can be delivered.

I would ask the local garage to clarify what they mean by “Kia refuse to deliver the parts …”.

Kia, the importer/distributor cannot refuse to supply parts to independent garages under EU Block Exemption Rules (which still apply in the UK).

It may be that your garage has contacted a franchised Kia dealer, who has refused. That is possible for a number of reasons – nobody is forced to sell anything to anyone – but if several franchised dealers agreed not to supply as a matter of principle, or Kia instructed them not to do so, that would be a breach of EU anti-competition rules.

Maybe your local garage should try several different Kia dealers before giving up and challenging Kia directly to supply the parts – which they must do if their distributors cannot or will not. I suspect your garage hasn’t tried hard enough.

You can fit non-Kia parts if you are paying for the work. The warranty would only be invalidated if it could be proved that the parts concerned were the cause or contributed to a failure under warranty.

But the simplest solution, I would have thought, is to get your nearest Kia-authorised service centre to do a collect and return service from/to your home. There may be a nominal charge for this, but it would mean you do not need to leave your daughter on her own.

There is sometimes a 3-4 week wait for this service, so explain you are a full-time carer if the delay is a problem.

The other alternative is to have them provide a loan car for the day. Although insurance and excess liabilities make it more of a risk than collection/delivery.

I am a little surprised you bought a used car under warranty and it needs a service after only 5 months however. It should have been done at the time of purchase, irrespective of normal service intervals.

I own 3 cars. PHEV, EV and 2lt D.
There is an elephant in the room. Fossil fuel tax is over 50% at the pump.
I believe EV charge points are 20%? and already some are MORE or the same as in cost per mile compared to petrol desiel.
I roughly worked out the annual revenue to the exchequer on fuel tax and came up with 10s of £billions. Where is the Gov going to get this from in the future.
I want Which to look at future costs as I believe a home charger is essential and solar. Solar means less pressure on the national grid.
Why is there no reviews regarding Bio gas? I live in a rural area like over a million other homes and opted for LPG as cleaner than oil for heating. I am now contracted for 40% bio mix in my supply. This should be 100% if production levels can be increased. Please look at this.

I’m hoping but not that confident that the world leaders will agree something sensible at COP, but are we really going to get the big CO2 producers to do enough in time?
We can individually try and do our best but are we really prepared to make the necessary sacrifices to achieve what is needed?
We all need educating about what is needed but people aren’t listening. The government must lead and push forward and I struggle to see why we aren’t prioritising nuclear to be our base load provider.
I have solar PV, solar water, a wind turbine and a GSHP and produce more electric in a year than we use but the but the wind and sun are part time and not always available when required. Unless I now install a battery back up system a grid connection is necessary, the same applies to the country, we are getting more reliant on wind, but it doesn’t blow all the time, even this week a coal power station was brought on line as back up and gas is a prime provider.
Are we ducking the big question? Nuclear?
Electric cars are fantastic but from personal experience the charging infrastructure is just not enough to rely on for long journeys, if we are serious about this a big and immediate investment is required.

Michael says:
16 September 2021

I feel that, in seeking to make the magazine more “friendly”, too much page-space is given to quite unnecessary pictures , whose size is frequently excessive. It adds nothing to the reports to see photos of members who have a story to relate. It is not beneficial to have half page pictorial introductions to so many of the topics. I would prefer to see more of the space dedicated to increasing product testing reports, which are what made Which? such valuable reading over the years.

On a specific product issue – mobile ‘phones – rather than simply campaigning to have manufacturers state the “supported life” of their products, I feel that an equally important campaign, which would be much more helpful, would be to encourage much longer support periods. Many of us do not have the fashion-generated urge to spend hundreds of pounds every 3-4 years, simply to be in possession of a “supported” ‘phone. Your (presently very valid) warnings,
regarding “out-of-support” ‘phones, do tend to encourage premature changes and thus wasteful disposal.

We are indeed campaigning to get the support lifecycle of phones increased. Samsung now supports most of its phones for four years, and OnePlus has recently said it will also support some of its phones for four years. That’s still not brilliant, but it’s better than the two or three years most Android phones get updates for.

I’m also going to make an educated guess and say that I reckon Google will announce next month that its Pixel phones will get four years of updates – I know Google has been looking at this, not least as a result of the work we have done in this space.

If you want a longer-lasting phone, buy an iPhone: they are supported for five or six years, which is much better. My work phone is an iPhone 6S, which was released in September 2015. It’s still getting updates, and will continue to get updates for another year.

People have different preferences on this, Michael. For you pictures are excessive, but for many others the magazine would be too dense and less engaging without them. I’m confident we get the balance right for most members.

It’s also important to consider that unlike other magazines we don’t carry dozens of pages of ads, meaning the editorial pictures and illustrations serve an important purpose in terms of the flow and pace of each issue.

On mobile phones I completely agree with you – longer support periods are what we need. Which? is calling for phones to be supported for at least five years.

I would like to see a little more credit afforded to Which? Conversation actually displayed within the magazine.

The valuable information, insights and innovative concepts gleaned from regular contributors and members of the public provide the grass roots impetus necessary to produce some of the articles contained therein.

The time contributed and the dedication afforded by the few regulars is appreciated from time to time, but without their input the magazine would probably need to search the more varied and unsubstantiated media news, or elsewhere at extra cost, to find suitable material on a regular monthly basis to publish within its pages.

Beryl, I am pushed to find Which? taking any account of the contributions made by Members or other commenters in Convos. On the (very) rare occasions in the past when Convo comments were published in the magazine they were, from my recollection, only those that supported a Which? view.

I don’t think Which? want to have its work helped by consumers, unless they agree with what Which? say. Examples are rife, including the CRM debate, access to cash, product safety and recall.

I initially joined Which? Convos in the naive belief that I, and others, could actively participate in shaping what Which? did. Many contribute useful views, expertise and constructive proposals that seemingly are ignored.

So now I treat it as just a way to just exchange views and information with online friends and others, hoping to learn something (which frequentlyhappens) and, occasionally, help someone with a problem.

Malcolm, I don’t t think Which? Conversation would continue on the basis that it is there just to exchange views with online friends. The intrinsic and underlying content of the comments and exchanges are a valuable source of information that quite often are picked up and included in the content of some of the articles in the magazine.

Which? Conversation was probably one of the first social media outlets to bring to the attention of the public in Spring 2019, the application of the little-used English law doctrine of Frustration of Contract. This is a legal remedy to resolve the otherwise impossible situation that Covid-19 lockdown restrictions left parties to an agreement in, where they were unable to fulfil their respective contractual obligations without admitting fault on their part, and hence be liable for damages or unable to recover their costs to date.

Having discussed this at some length and helped other members trying to resolve deposit disputes with wedding venues and holiday booking, I was only a little surprised to see Which? Legal write a Convo on 25 May about how they had obtained the return of a holiday deposit. Not a mention of the contributions made by members on these pages.

Really? It has certainly not figured in any balanced way in CRM, ATMs, product safety, product recalls, as far as I am aware.

Noted, Beryl. Thanks.

Isla is right. Information and guidance from a number of Which? Conversation contributors were running way ahead of Which?’s output during the troublesome early days of the coronavirus emergency and hopefully helped a number of people get suitable and timely remedies or redress as businesses of all sorts tried to evade their legal and contractual obligations.